Proposal: Horvat for Newhook

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
To COL
Bo Horvat
*Conditional VAN 2024 2nd
(If Horvat doesn't re sign pick is transfered)

To VAN
Alex Newhook
Erik Johnson

Colorado is in win-now mode and Newhook is not ready to be a 2c on a contender. EJ does them a solid and lists VAN as part of his 19 team list. Horvat takes the spot Kadri had his monster year. Colorado likely still needs to move Girard in the offseason to re sign Bo.

Newhook is a perfect retooling piece for the Canucks with sky high upside. Massive return for an expiring contract but the 2024 2nd should be early 30s especially without Horvat. I think thats probably what they'd be looking for as a return.

Tell me I'm an idiot!

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Newhook is a nice piece but not really what the Canucks need. They need help on the back end desperately. I would be targeting a team like Carolina for guys like Scott Morrow and picks
Carolina might not need a long term center (necas, Drury, aho, KK). They would need a future RD to eventually replace burns. But otherwise, I think morrow and a 1st is fair for Horvat in a vacuum.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Colorado just doesn’t have the assets. Outside of Byram its a wasteland and any 1st will be extremely late.

Carolina/Rangers/Sabres make much more sense.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
To COL
Bo Horvat

To VAN
Alex Newhook
Erik Johnson

Colorado is in win-now mode and Newhook is not ready to be a 2c on a contender. EJ does them a solid and lists VAN as part of his 19 team list. Horvat takes the spot Kadri had his monster year. Colorado likely still needs to move Girard in the offseason to re sign Bo.

Newhook is a perfect retooling piece for the Canucks with sky high upside. Massive return for an expiring contract but the 2024 2nd should be early 30s especially without Horvat. I think thats probably what they'd be looking for as a return.

Tell me I'm an idiot!
flag on the play

You no longer have picks based upon if a player signs or not--got nuked a few years ago

Johnson is a UFA after this season so that hurts his value coming back to the canucks (please do not say "oh but they can trade him for picks and prospects" then COL can do that trade and add it to this deal.

I realize that Horvat is a soon to be UFA--he has 20 pts in 17 games--canucks are looking at a 1st and A level prospect at this point in time--

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
flag on the play

You no longer have picks based upon if a player signs or not--got nuked a few years ago

Johnson is a UFA after this season so that hurts his value coming back to the canucks (please do not say "oh but they can trade him for picks and prospects" then COL can do that trade and add it to this deal.

I realize that Horvat is a soon to be UFA--he has 20 pts in 17 games--canucks are looking at a 1st and A level prospect at this point in time--
Fair play kinda lame they got rid of that, removes alot of risk limiting options for teams trying to acquire an expiring deal and kills value for the team dealing them away.

Johnson is pure cap dump to fit Horvat. I also think Newhook is probably seen as an A level prospect but not sure how a team can do that + a 1st with nothing to limit the risk of Horvat walking.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Fair play kinda lame they got rid of that, removes alot of risk limiting options for teams trying to acquire an expiring deal and kills value for the team dealing them away.

Johnson is pure cap dump to fit Horvat. I also think Newhook is probably seen as an A level prospect but not sure how a team can do that + a 1st with nothing to limit the risk of Horvat walking.
We can't trade Erik Johnson anyways without another move. We're already down to McDonald and Englund after the injuries. EJ has also stepped up recently. Better to just wait until we're either healthier and still need a big piece or if they actually need a move cause the team is in danger of risking the playoffs. Right now, the west is so easy, it's smarter to just ride out this injury stretch.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
The Avs have had interest in Horvat in the past (assuming reporting is correct). But his UFA status is likely a risk too great. The only way a trade involving Horvat happens at this point is if Vancouver is willing to take something close to what the Avs are willing to pay.

It seems more likely that the Avs pay for players with more term, for example Mikael Granlund or Sam Bennett.

The reality of the static cap factors in here and likely affects value of some players and also the number of suitors for players with no term vs those that have term.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

LemonSauceD

Instigator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Newhook is absolutely not what the Canucks want or need lmao. We don’t need another undersized forward, we already have Hoglander.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Colorado just doesn’t have the assets. Outside of Byram its a wasteland and any 1st will be extremely late.

Carolina/Rangers/Sabres make much more sense.

I don’t see the fit in Carolina with Necas coming out party. Rangers would be a straight rental because of cap. Sabres I actually personally like Cozens as #2C and think they should be going after a veteran D (think Ekholm or McD) to work with Power and Dahlin.

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Newhook is absolutely not what the Canucks want or need lmao. We don’t need another undersized forward, we already have Hoglander.
I feel like this is a very shortsighted way to approach a return for Horvat. I see this like you are making a top 10 pick at the draft. You have to go best player available and in my opinion Newhook likely is that. Just because you have a middling small guy on your roster now doesn't mean you shouldn't add a potential star just because they're small. You can find size other ways.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Lol at HFB…Newhook’s been a blue chip prospect and the second he doesn’t set the world on fire he’s damaged goods.

Kid is still only 21. There are guys his age in the minors/Europe that everybody fawns over as top prospects…when you look at all the players born in 2001 and their current impacts at the NHL level, very few pop. And those that do aren’t going to be remotely available for rental Horvat.

- Byfield: 0 goals
- Quinn: 1 goal
- Krebs: 0 goals
- Sillinger: 1 goal
- Podkolzin: 0 goals
- Holloway: 0 goals
- Rossi: 0 goals
- McMichael: AHL
- Tomasino: AHL
- Pelletier: AHL

Leave it to HFB to turn a guy from a top 30 prospect and untouchable to “reclamation project” before their 22nd birthday.

For the record, I don’t think Newhook is untouchable by any means nor am I suggesting he’s what Vancouver “needs”…it’s just that this place loses all perspective when a youngster has to make the jump from “prospect” to actual NHL player.

Last edited:

Conbon

Oct 4, 2016
London
Lol at HFB…Newhook’s been a blue chip prospect and the second he doesn’t set the world on fire he’s damaged goods.

Kid is still only 21. There are guys his age in the minors that everybody fawns over as top prospects…when you look at all the players born in 2001 and their current impacts at the NHL level, very few pop. And those that do aren’t going to be remotely available for rental Horvat.

- Byfield: 0 goals
- Quinn: 1 goal
- Krebs: 0 goals
- Sillinger: 1 goal
- Podkolzin: 0 goals
- Holloway: 0 goals
- Rossi: 0 goals
- McMichael: AHL
- Tomasino: AHL
- Pelletier: AHL

Leave it to HFB to turn a guy from a top 30 prospect and untouchable to “reclamation project” before their 22nd birthday.

For the record, I don’t think Newhook is untouchable by any means nor am I suggesting he’s what Vancouver “needs”…it’s just that this place loses all perspective when a youngster has to make the jump from “prospect” to actual NHL player.
Not sure what thread you read but nobody is calling Newhook a reclamation project here. I've done nothing but talk the guy up. Horvat is a fantastic player in his own right that you would have to be happy if thats what Newhook became. The Avs just want that guy now, not 3 years from now.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Not sure what thread you read but nobody is calling Newhook a reclamation project here. I've done nothing but talk the guy up. Horvat is a fantastic player in his own right that you would have to be happy if thats what Newhook became. The Avs just want that guy now, not 3 years from now.
Not you or your post at all, just a general perception I’ve seen in all the Horvat threads in general. I mean one of the responses in this very thread is suggesting Newhook is part of a wasteland of no value that exists outside Byram - which is a ridiculous and unrealistic expectation to have.

And not trying to pick on Vancouver fans, we all do this to some degree, it’s a symptom of being a sports fan following prospects and being excited about potential while also lacking patience and perspective.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
To COL
Bo Horvat

To VAN
Alex Newhook
Erik Johnson

Tell me I'm an idiot!
You can’t condition picks on signing

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Meh. Newhook isn’t the type of player I’d personally be looking to build a Horvat deal around. I’d be looking for a defenseman or center with more size and defensive awareness.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
The Avs just want that guy now, not 3 years from now.
Many would argue though that the Avs may want that guy now, but will need that guy 3 years from now and actually sooner.

Sakic made his want moves last season and won the cup.
if this team doesn't look as close to the cup as they did last season, the Avs won't be big buyers again this season

Reactions: IWantSakicAsMyGM

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
I'd do Newhook and Colorado's first for Horvat.

If we continue to wait and Horvat continues to rack up points, the value will keep going up.

If we need to take a piece back for cap reasons, sure, we can do that, but we'd need market value for a cap dump as well.

I, personally, think we should resign Horvat. He is not the problem with this team. But if he has to move, it won't be at a steep discount to complete a team for a cup run.

Reactions: biturbo19

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

A lot depends on Horvats ask. If anything close to what’s reported, the Avs likely look for players with some term due to the uncertainty of the cap over the next 2 or 3 years. If they pay assets, one might assume it will be prioritizing term to help them bridge the gap of the next few years.

Horvat checks off a lot of boxes except his UFA status is a huge risk. Also, when you consider the stagnancy last summer in terms of players being traded, it may no longer be possible to use past precedent as the basis for value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad