Proposal: Horvat for Newhook

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I've never advocated for Horvat to the Avs. I've never discussed Byram being involved in any trade to any team, so thanks for those comments. As for Girard - well its not that far off in the way the moon is really close to earth if you compare it to the sun? That sort of not far off??
You're not getting a top 4 dman with term for a UFA. That's just not going to happen.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
I'm not going to try to talk you into wanting Byram, since he's not remotely available, but is there a single player in the league that isn't one bad play away from being out for the year? Or immune from potentially having a career altering injury?

For that matter, what other injuries do you think make a guy not worth acquiring at all, even after they return and have no ill effects for 6+ months. Does a shoulder injury make the cut? Or a knee injury?
First. I had to deal with concussions.

I mean, you just quoted my exact reason why this case is NOT like any other case out there, its risk assessment. A single concussion is manageable, two in succession is not good, and would require special helmets from medical professionals, Peter Mueller is an example of such bad luck; three in close succession is seriously career threatening. Kudos to Bo for coming back and reclaiming his life, but I bet he is well aware what the fourth one is going to be like for him. doesn't help that he also insinuated that there was a possible 4th one earlier in his career in interviews.

So no, not everyone is as high risk as Byram, esp not at the young age he's at. I wish him a long career burning down vancouver villages, like Crosby. I would rather he stay away for this sad sack franchise with the Geoff Courtnalls, Bures and Ferlands. I mean you guys had your share and should know the risk. One of my favorite Avs is Deadmarsh, and Kariya too, multiple concussions definitely played a part in their latter years.

...and who can forget Steve Moore?

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
First. I had to deal with concussions.

I mean, you just quoted my exact reason why this case is NOT like any other case out there, its risk assessment. A single concussion is manageable, two in succession is not good, and would require special helmets from medical professionals, Peter Mueller is an example of such bad luck; three in close succession is seriously career threatening. Kudos to Bo for coming back and reclaiming his life, but I bet he is well aware what the fourth one is going to be like for him. doesn't help that he also insinuated that there was a possible 4th one earlier in his career in interviews.

So no, not everyone is as high risk as Byram, esp not at the young age he's at. I wish him a long career burning down vancouver villages, like Crosby. I would rather he stay away for this sad sack franchise with the Geoff Courtnalls, Bures and Ferlands. I mean you guys had your share and should know the risk. One of my favorite Avs is Deadmarsh, and Kariya too, multiple concussions definitely played a part in their latter years.

...and who can forget Steve Moore?

As much as I agree that I'd rather Byram stay far away from the Canucks franchise, it's not because I think he's at some greater risk of getting hurt because previous players had concussions too. Getting boarded by Rob Blake was always seriously career threatening, so I'm not sure Mueller is an example of anything other than just bad luck. And Deadmarsh and Kariya had long careers in the DPE, when guys like Stevens and Hatcher and Blake were handing out concussions like Halloween candy, so I'm not sure how they apply to players today.

And what's your point about Steve Moore? Do you think he had a concussion history that made him more susceptible to being sucker punched from behind and having his head driven into the ice by a scumbag?

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
As much as I agree that I'd rather Byram stay far away from the Canucks franchise, it's not because I think he's at some greater risk of getting hurt because previous players had concussions too. Getting boarded by Rob Blake was always seriously career threatening, so I'm not sure Mueller is an example of anything other than just bad luck. And Deadmarsh and Kariya had long careers in the DPE, when guys like Stevens and Hatcher and Blake were handing out concussions like Halloween candy, so I'm not sure how they apply to players today.

And what's your point about Steve Moore? Do you think he had a concussion history that made him more susceptible to being sucker punched from behind and having his head driven into the ice by a scumbag?
you missed my point entirely.

Best of luck with Byram.

IMO, Colorado simply do not have the assets to trade for Horvat. Incompatible trading partner.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004

Best of luck with Byram.

IMO, Colorado simply do not have the assets to trade for Horvat. Incompatible trading partner.
Don't have the excess assets maybe. We have a team that has twice as many assets as Vancouver.

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado

Best of luck with Byram.

And, IMO, the Avs shouldn't be offering much more than a 1st + Kaut/Bowers for a rental they can't afford to keep. So, if that doesn't get it done, so be it. But that still doesn't mean that Byram is somehow too risky for any GM to have interest in him.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
And, IMO, the Avs shouldn't be offering much more than a 1st + Kaut/Bowers for a rental they can't afford to keep. So, if that doesn't get it done, so be it. But that still doesn't mean that Byram is somehow too risky for any GM to have interest in him.

He's harping on concussions to justify the dream in several Canucks fans minds that Byram is attainable with Horvat.

The delusion can't take place on its own without this kind of engineering.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad