Rumor: Horvat for Buchnevich?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
What of the Horvat for Buchnevich trade rumour?

It was noted that Horvat's offensive performance has successively decreased over the past 3 years but it is still hard to imagine them doing a 1:1 in a deal of centre for a winger when the Centre is also a captain.

Ranger's would likely have to add.

Also, other teams are desperately looking for Centres like CBJ, so there should be some competitive options if Horvat is actually on the open market.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
What of the Horvat for Buchnevich trade rumour?

It was noted that Horvat's offensive performance has successively decreased over the past 3 years but it is still hard to imagine them doing a 1:1 in a deal of centre for a winger when the Centre is also a captain.

Ranger's would likely have to add.

Also, other teams are desperately looking for Centres like CBJ, so there should be some competitive options if Horvat is actually on the open market.

Close this thread. Embarrassing man

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Except Horvat's offensive output does appear to be decreasing over the past three years and WAR does capture this.

When I checked on CapFriendly I was surprised by this.

Bo Horvat Contract, Cap Hit, Salary and Stats - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

18-19 - 40 ES points/82 GP

19-20 - 44 ES points/82 GP (and then a big offensive performance in the bubble)

20-21 - 40 ES points/82 GP while chained to a boat anchor in Tanner Pearson.

On-ice shooting % nearly identical in all 3 years.

Not seeing it. If anything, the fact that he basically maintained his 19-20 production while Pearson fell off a cliff and he was taking extra defensive responsibilities is damned impressive.

Reactions: Cogburn

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
image.png
Average changes of NHL WAR stats in relation to age do reflect reality.

A New Look at Aging Curves for NHL Skaters (part 1)

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This smells like NYRs offered this and Benning laughed at it.

With that said, I wouldn't out anything past Benning but this would be monumentally terrible.

Benning is capable of doing shit that is stupid beyond belief but there is no way that they would trade their highly popular team captain at a point where the fanbase is already close to revolt.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I've accepted who Ben Greening are: capable of pretty much infinite irrational decisions.

My hope is that someone in the Org pointed out to them that Dickinson is a metrics darling and they finally actually acted on this sort of info.

Maybe, just maybe the Nerds are taking over; seems unlikely though.

Izzy Goodenough

Oct 11, 2020
I mean, you’d get exactly the same curve just by putting raw offensive production vs. age into a graph.

Horvat has probably peaked. But I don’t see any evidence he’s going (or about to go) into an offensive death spiral.

But, it appears that Horvat's output is going down from just charting his points output for 3 years.

It could be argued though, that his trade value has not decreased.

As I said, I wouldn't do a 1:1 deal but every player, even a captain, has a replacement acquisition price.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
But, it appears that Horvat's output is going down from just charting his points output for 3 years.

It could be argued though, that his trade value has not decreased.

As I said, I wouldn't do a 1:1 deal but every player, even a captain, has a replacement acquisition price.

But, again, it doesn’t appear that way at all?

His ES production is astonishingly consistent over the past 5 years. I don’t know if you’ll find anyone more consistent in the NHL - it’s right at 40 ESP/82 GP every year.

And when you factor in context - Pearson falling off a cliff and our mess at C last year that forced him into more defensive minutes - the fact he didn’t drop off more is actually very impressive.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
I've got no issue with trading Horvat, but I would really hope that they were trying to use him to fix our horrible defense if they were intent on moving him.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
what a bizarre rumour.
I don’t think it’s that bizarre.

If you read between the lines and look at Horvat’s tone, it seems he has been fairly displeased.

I wouldn’t do the trade personally but I can understand why any players except EP and Demko would come up. Same way the Boeser stuff has never surprised me.

Edit: Hoglander should also be an instant hang up.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I've got no issue with trading Horvat, but I would really hope that they were trying to use him to fix our horrible defense if they were intent on moving him.
There’s nothing you could move Horvat for that wouldn’t be creating a new hole to plug another unless they bet on futures and those futures provided instant returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad