Post-Game Talk: Horrifying Act of Violence

Status
Not open for further replies.

LionsHeart

Mar 25, 2009
Queens, NY
I thought the third line was really good during the series, and Kakko was rewarded with a goal. He was very good. Even when he’s not scoring he’s doing something positive in all 3 zones.

I thought the first line was very good too. Mika Zibanejad looked engaged, and Roslevic was surprisingly good. His ability to carry the puck with speed makes a difference.

I thought Panarin struggled until he scored that goal last night. Suddenly he got a boost of confidence, which we hope should carry over. Laf was invisible, but I think the Penalty Kills were keeping him and that line out of their groove. Something to clean up heading into the next series.

When the team plays a smart, defensive game they can beat anybody IMO. Trouba and Vesey have be smarter in the defensive zone.

Shesty is him.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
I honestly would be shocked if lost to Carolina.

I would be very disappointed if lost to Boston

I would think Florida could go either way as would whoever comes out of the west.

In both those series having home ice and being as good as we are on home ice will/would be crucial.

noncents

Feb 25, 2022
This meant a lot to me.

I don't like that f***ing team. I didn't like them before Wilson.

We played them in 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013, and 2015. I had to listen to those fans for so many years. When we beat them in 2015, it felt like the dragon was dead. We beat them 3 out of 5.

Then I had to watch that shitty team win the Cup. They weren't good in that run. The PDO monster came out to play. Have we made our own bed in the past? Sure, but why didn't we have a run of luck like that?

Then Wilson tried to drop Panarin on his head and you can imagine where the emotions went, for a team I already didn't like.

When I went to game 1 there were a couple of Caps fans in our section. People were giving them shit. This dude just stands up, points at us, and says "1994." Points at himself and says "2018."

You know what? He's right.

I wanted something. These two events with the Caps -2018 and Wilson- sent me on a Joker arc. This is my first real pound of flesh. This was the first meaningful encounter since Wilson. Three years later and we're, right now, the most feared team in the league. They're nobody. In the words of Dusty Rhodes, "I hope you love it, kid."

This might not be the Cup but the fact that we swept them and put Ovechkin's corpse in the casket is gonna stay with them.

You can win the Cup, all you want. I'm under your bed. What's the phrase I'm looking for? Oh yeah!

View attachment 861774
love the energy but we are certainly not te most feared team in the league.

i don't think there has been a presidents trophy winning team that is feared less as a cup contender, frankly.

i hope the rangers know that..

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Tros line looked better in the third. They had some sustained zone time, doing their thing.

Hopefully it will carry over to Game 1

Things that happen when Panarin shoots.

Pointing that out offends some people for what ever reason.

when the kings won cup as an 8 seed didnt they win every series by 4 or 5 games?

Until the final which was really a sweep disguised as a 6 game series

Beat Canucks in 5

Blues in 4

Coyotes in 5

Devils in 6 but shat on them in games 4 and 5 and somehow lost.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC

i don't think there has been a presidents trophy winning team that is feared less as a cup contender, frankly.

We had the best record in the league and then we were the only team to sweep the first round.

Are we necessarily above the other teams around us? No, there are multiple teams left who could beat us, but we objectively have to be at the top of the list at this moment.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

I think he means physically feared.

I don't agree with that either. Vancouver can f***ing bang and really.... thats all they do aside from 3 players (one of whom can also crack.)

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Vegas had us favored in every game...

Last night was -200
Yeah, the only reason Carolina is favored over us is because Carolina had the best odds to win the cup. I think they were +650 and we were +800. Not a big difference.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016
Huge for us, our last cup run was ended by the fact we played too many games and our dmen were decimated.

Florida is a tough matchup for us. Carolina i feel is like the Maple Leafs or our division, great on paper but can't go on a long run.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I was concerned about facing a hot goalie, but Lindgren was just ok. Made some stellar saves but gave up some iffy goals. What was he doing on the Trocheck pp goal? He was on his knees falling onto his back and in the net when Tro released it

Last edited:
Reactions: HockeyBasedNYC

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
Low key hoping that the break will allow Trouba to heal up. He clearly isn't 100%

I was concerned about facing a hot goalie, but Lindgren was just ok. Made some stellar saves but gave up some iffy goals. What was he doing on the Trocheck pp goal? He was on his knees flowing onto his back and in the net when Tro released it

He looked like he tried to push off his right foot but it slipped and in his haste to recover he fell back on his butt

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I honestly would be shocked if lost to Carolina.

I would be very disappointed if lost to Boston

I would think Florida could go either way as would whoever comes out of the west.

In both those series having home ice and being as good as we are on home ice will/would be crucial.

Common theme with the Canes in the playoffs is if you figure out their PK, they're kind of f***ed.

Been the case for every team that has knocked them out for the last 5 years.

Panthers shredded them
Rangers shredded them
Tampa REALLY shredded them
Bruins shredded them x2. The first time was worse than the second.

Hell even this years ISLANDERS have had success there, they just haven't gotten the volume of opportunities.

Machinehead

Jiminy Crickets Let's Cut the Hubris
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Kreider was first on the scene during the Fox incident and he subdued that animal in no time. Who knows what he prevented?

The fact of the matter is, Kreider isn't a Messier. He's a nice mellow guy who's everyone's friend and he's a better A than a C. Just like Graves.

But make no mistake, he would take a bullet for this team.

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
Huge for us, our last cup run was ended by the fact we played too many games and our dmen were decimated.

Florida is a tough matchup for us. Carolina i feel is like the Maple Leafs or our division, great on paper but can't go on a long run.
This x1000 teams that cannot physically impose their will do not win the Cup, and Carolina can’t.

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Nah, he'll get the record. He needs 41 to tie and 42 to break it. He has two years left on his contract with the Caps. Needs an average of 21 goals in those seasons to break it. I'd be shocked if he doesn't get it despite his decline.
If I was a player on the Caps, I would be livid that they are wasting prime years of others careers chasing a personal record for one guy that at the end of the day doesn't mean jack.
So this guy is gonna float through two full seasons expecting to be fed open one timers? I don't think this is gonna end the way people think.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Why didnt the others 3-0 teams just win game four? Seems like the way to go
Likely nobody else had an easy as a draw as we had . Rangers played well enough to win . They were never really pushed and when they were they raised their level of play . There were a few concerning issues in the series....it was not all golden but most of minor concerns and likely already mentioned in the 15 pages here I have to finish reading . Winning in four should really bode well for us . Let us now hope that the Isles win a couple of more and that TB fights back HARD .

Is Trouba playing hurt ?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
If I was a player on the Caps, I would be livid that they are wasting prime years of others careers chasing a personal record for one guy that at the end of the day doesn't mean jack.
So this guy is gonna float through two full seasons expecting to be fed open one timers? I don't think this is gonna end the way people think.

Yes and thats exactly what will happen.

They're going to play young guys who are going to be happy to getting their clocks running towards UFA too. Those guys will have no issue feeding pucks to OV on the PP.

They're going to hit a rebuild because they have to. Any prime year vets are going to be moved.

There will be zero drama that comes of this and as a franchise they want OV to get the record. I wouldnt be surprised if he hits it NEXT year. he shot like 4% for the first half of this year. Something tells me that he finds a way to bag 40+ next year.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Common theme with the Canes in the playoffs is if you figure out their PK, they're kind of f***ed.

Been the case for every team that has knocked them out for the last 5 years.

Panthers shredded them
Rangers shredded them
Tampa REALLY shredded them
Bruins shredded them x2. The first time was worse than the second.

Hell even this years ISLANDERS have had success there, they just haven't gotten the volume of opportunities.
Big difference is their PP has been much better than in years past. That was a decisive factor in the series in 2022. Rangers PP was able to solve their PK and the Rangers completely neutered their PP. Gonna need the PK to do the job.

Reactions: TheDirtyH

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
In all fairness to Ovechkin, he scored 31 goals this year, most coming in the 2nd half of the season. Without his scoring, that team doesn't sniff the playoffs. That's 100% accurate. Especially for a team that had major trouble scoring goals this year.

Could he have been more engaged in the series? Sure. But let's be honest, Ovechkin is a 38 year old power forward. If he is the main driver of your offense, you're not going anywhere. Asking him to be that guy from 5 years ago is not fair to him. Do we expect him to adjust his game at age 38 (almost 39)?

He will come back next year and score 30 goals again but the days of him being the driving force on their team are over.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
Tros line looked better in the third. They had some sustained zone time, doing their thing.

Hopefully it will carry over to Game 1
Yeah, that line looked noticeably better in the third, particularly after Panarin scored. The handful of shifts after that resembled their regular season look. I think Panarin was in his own head and forcing things and then scoring that goal loosened him up.

Reactions: duhmetreE

jay from jersey

Jan 30, 2008
Canes won’t be able to match the depth of NYR.
Our 4 lines just have to make sure they bring it consistently.
There’s absolutely going to be times in the game where the ice is tilted in their direction, that’s just the way playoff hockey goes.
I think overall, our line up has more postseason experience, and we also beat them the last time the 2 faced.
The rest is critical for us. Hopefully the isles can win 1 more.
Pesce is really banged up for them, and Fast is out for the playoffs.
He’s one of their main playoff producers/star PKer.
We better in goal, even though we often are, but shesty does really well against the canes, and don’t think they don’t know that.
Matchup wise, this is a better series for bread/tro/laf. This isn’t a team of giants that lives off obstruction.
The flow of the game should be smoother and the pace quicker.

Shut down Aho line
Rattle goalie early
Keep winning special teams battle on PP/PK

Rangers in 6
Take it to the bank

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad