Confirmed with Link: Horak & Jones assigned to Abbotsford; Aliu recalled

Svenner

Dec 2, 2008
Montreal, QC
I have no problem with calling up Aliu, but what is going on at the center position? We got Stajan.. Then I guess Tanguay.. Who's the third center Cervenka? He prefers the wing but he's going to be shoved at center? Very strange move.. I was thinking maybe they would call back Street or something but who knows :dunno:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
He put up some goals last time so maybe he's some weird hockey anomaly whereby he sucks in every league except the biggest stages

Flamer12

Feb 11, 2013
Canada
Well this is obviously not a move based on performance at the AHL level, but more so an attempt to fill a glaring need on this sad sack roster. I have expressed my displeasure's with Aliu's game in the past so I don't need to keep pounding on the guy, but I just cant see how he is the solution.

Either way, I hope he brings what the team is looking for and can become a consistent role player for us moving forward.

I guess management was just as embarrassed as I was last night when a King's player leveled Mcdonald and all the Flames stood around scratching their heads. I could not believe nobody did anything about it. Maybe they are hoping Aliu will have more guts than the guys that were dressed last night.

Nordberg

Sep 22, 2009
Landskrona
I guess management was just as embarrassed as I was last night when a King's player leveled Mcdonald and all the Flames stood around scratching their heads. I could not believe nobody did anything about it. Maybe they are hoping Aliu will have more guts than the guys that were dressed last night.
The damage is kind of already done though if we have to call up a guy like Aliu because we got embarrassed like that...

Noori

Jul 7, 2007
Calgary
Should have traded him at last year's deadline when teams were asking about him. Instead, we sign him to a multiyear deal.

The Calgary Flames: where putting up 1 goal in almost a full season gets you multiple years on your next contract.

And yes I know the cap-hit is low, but what leverage did Jackman have that got him a multiyear deal? In fact, what leverage did Jones and Comeau have that they were also offered multiyear deals (praise sweet baby jesus Comeau wanted a one year deal). One is Abbotsford and the other is a steaming pile of garbage.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Part of me hopes that Aliu sucks simply so the stupid amount of hype he had on this board during the lockout/offseason dies a quick and painful death.

He hasn't performed at the AHL level, I don't see how he will at the NHL. I'd rather see a guy like Reinhart get a cup of coffee. Makes me miss Bouma that much more.

Devilspuppet666

Dec 25, 2010
Calgary
As an overager, I think he will be a solid 3rd line winger one day.

i've been in love with ferlands game since he was drafted, i think he has 2nd line potential but if he does become a 3rd liner i'd imagine it would be a 30 point winger with physical game

ANYWHO on to Aliu... he might do really well in Hartleys system

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
I understand the Aliu call up was to add some modicum of truculence to the team, but I can't help but wonder if the demotions of Jones and Horak are Feaster's subtle way of saying 'screw it, lets tank'. No GM could be that stupid to think having one natural centre on the roster, and that centre being Matt Stajan, is a recipe for success. Or a recipe for anything but a lottery pick. Especially when the key to success in the NHL is having strength, size and skill down the middle.

Last edited:

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I understand the Aliu call up was to add some modicum of truculence to the team, but I can't help but wonder if the demotions of Jones and Hroak are Feaster's subtle way of saying 'screw it, lets tank'. No GM could be that stupid to think having one natural centre on the roster, and that centre being Matt Stajan, is a recipe for success. Or a recipe for anything but a lottery pick. Especially when the key to success in the NHL is having strength, size and skill down the middle.

Maybe. It's a big risk though. But maybe. Who really knows though.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I understand the Aliu call up was to add some modicum of truculence to the team, but I can't help but wonder if the demotions of Jones and Hroak are Feaster's subtle way of saying 'screw it, lets tank'. No GM could be that stupid to think having one natural centre on the roster, and that centre being Matt Stajan, is a recipe for success. Or a recipe for anything but a lottery pick. Especially when the key to success in the NHL is having strength, size and skill down the middle.

This is genius when the owners look at the roster they will see names like Cammy,Iggy,Tangs,Hudler etc and think we are trying to win but really Feaster is tanking so that even when Kipper comes back we will be so out of the playoff race the ownership will ask to move the vets as they aren't working. This is Sith Lord type of thinking. :laugh:

FLAMES666

Jan 30, 2009
Calgary

Or maybe its a simple statement of you guys all play like ******* so were bringing up Aliu.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
He will fit in then if he isn't consistent. Seriously he will see 5 minutes a night this solely about trying to get tougher I wish he was in the lineup against LA.

Trust me, I get it. I understand exactly why Aliu was called up but I just don't like that we are in the position to have to make these moves when players have not earned the opportunity.

In my honest opinion Blair Jones is 10x the player that Aliu is. They both have a pest like vibe to them, but the only difference being that Aliu can occasionally stand up for his teammates. Nevermind the fact that Jones is a harder worker, a center with decent faceoff skills, and is more offensively skilled.

Either way this bickering is moot :laugh:. If Tim Jackman would do his god damn job then we would not be having this conversation in the first place. What a liability he has turned into.

I know it seems as if I have a grudge against Aliu, but I would like nothing more than for him to prove me wrong. I just don't think he can solve any issues that we currently have for an extended period of time.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
This is genius when the owners look at the roster they will see names like Cammy,Iggy,Tangs,Hudler etc and think we are trying to win but really Feaster is tanking so that even when Kipper comes back we will be so out of the playoff race the ownership will ask to move the vets as they aren't working. This is Sith Lord type of thinking. :laugh:

say8znZ.png

"Everything is proceeding as I have foreseen it."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad