Horachek question

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's likely going to be horachek that steps in for carlyle with the leafs and I just have some questions.

I saw that he lead the panthers to a very good possession stat when he took over so can someone fill me in on his system?

Does he want his dmen to be active both in the neutral zone and offensive zone? That's something that the leafs lacked under Carlyle.

Is his style capable of suiting a skilled speedy team?

Cheers.

RogerRoger

Jul 23, 2013
Yes, the dmen needs to be very active because they will be asked to pinch a lot to keep the puck in the ofensive zone. One problem it can cause, is that if your forwards aren't aware enough defensively, it will lead to many odd man rushes.

Also, yes the Panthers had a lot of possession, but it was possession alongs the boards and deep behind the red line. It wasn't leading too many scoring chances. To be fair, the Panthers weren't a very skill or fast team last season. So it might be that Horacheck was asking the players to do what he thought they could do well. It will be different with the Leafs, but he'll have to do something different.

One issue was the offensive zone exit, his system was giving enough help to the dmen and the winger to get the puck out and it was leading to a lot of dump in from the defensive zone to the neutral zone. If Carlyle had a good system there, I hope he keeps it in place.

The best thing was the level of competiveness. The Panthers were very bad last season, but they were trying and they would fight nights in and nights out.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
He runs an aggressive forecheck and the defensemen have to be willing to pinch. System was effective for possession but didn't translate into many wins because Florida has no players that are good at putting the puck in, coupled with a lot of odd man rush goals the other way.

Biggest issue was special teams. Dineen was running an awful pp/pk and Horachek came in and did nothing to change it. Still can't figure that out.

gudzilla

Aug 9, 2012
He runs an aggressive forecheck and the defensemen have to be willing to pinch. System was effective for possession but didn't translate into many wins because Florida has no players that are good at putting the puck in, coupled with a lot of odd man rush goals the other way.

Biggest issue was special teams. Dineen was running an awful pp/pk and Horachek came in and did nothing to change it. Still can't figure that out.

funny thing is that our PP was top 5-10 in the league in the lockout season + season before, then it just fell off hard as ****

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad