GBU Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, Lose 5-4 in Jersey 10/27/2023

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Rough night for Samuelsson in his own zone, in particular the GWG that he deflects into Haula who deflected it into the net. I thought he had a rough time with some puck movement at times too.

Jokiharju had a solid, relatively low-notice all around game. He even hit someone in the high slot to dislodge a puck.

That 2nd PP unit is a f***ing tire fire. Just put out a regular line and stop trying to be fancy.
Joker is lookin like last year and the head injury are a thing of the past and he's back to the guy we were all pretty happy with. He looks really confident.

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
If I knew more about Garland in Vancouver in the room, he's a guy I come back to as a possible swap. He's been a productive 5-on-5 guy in both Arizona and with the Canucks. But it's two more years on that deal after this one.

I know JJP scored tonight. I still thought he was crap. He's been in town long enough, he can take some of the flak.
Nick Schmaltz was my dream F 'hockey trade' add this summer, 5o5 demon, but knew it was a pipedream with the rosterconstruction...Yotes are probably stayin the course with him.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
Watching the replays, only one goal was really unsavable (the double Samuelsson deflection).

First goal Comrie dropped a rebound in the blue paint.

Second goal was a breakaway that could have been stopped.

Third goal was a breakaway that could have been stopped.

Fourth goal I think may have tipped in off the goalie stick shaft? It was hard to tell, but UPL had bad positioning. The side of the net the puck went in was wide open on a fairly clear point shot.

This game wasn’t the goalie’s fault necessarily, but they definitely could have helped out more. Vanecek saved two break aways.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
Watching the replays, only one goal was really unsavable (the double Samuelsson deflection).

Fourth goal I think may have tipped in off the goalie stick shaft? It was hard to tell, but UPL had bad positioning. The side of the net the puck went in was wide open on a fairly clear point shot.

This game wasn’t the goalie’s fault necessarily, but they definitely could have helped out more. Vanecek saved two break aways.

Vanacek also gave up the worst goal of the night by far (Cozens).

UPL/Comrie were fine. Not good, but not bad either.

Team defense was once again a complete train wreck. We allowed multiple breakaways and you're talking about how the goalies could've saved it? How about the def/forwards don't allow an uncontested breakaway?

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
3-5-0

Rough start to the season, 4 of those teams faced out of 8 have a winning record to start the season. The rest are below .500

To say we have had a hard schedule to this point is a little hard to defend.

Team needs to find ways to unf*** themselves from the net on out.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA
G:
We can hang with/beat the Devils
Good pace for most of the game
Power had his best of game of the season IMO
PK is solid
Tage's goal

B:
Even tho both scored, Peterka and Cozens decision making with the puck is still bipolar
Okposo is a waste of a roster spot. Dude is just too slow
Clifton's hit
Comrie's injury
The goals on UPL aren't entirely his fault but his positioning is brutal. Also, the dude NEEDS to make a big save in big moments at least once.

U:
Officials per usual...

Although this lose was annoying, I feel really good about our team. There were times the Devils couldn't answer us on a few back to back shifts. If the Devils are the fast pace, offensive juggernauts, then were not that far behind them

Last edited:

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
If I knew more about Garland in Vancouver in the room, he's a guy I come back to as a possible swap. He's been a productive 5-on-5 guy in both Arizona and with the Canucks. But it's two more years on that deal after this one.

I know JJP scored tonight. I still thought he was crap. He's been in town long enough, he can take some of the flak.
Assuredly. But he was not remotely the biggest hole tonight. 19, 21 23 75 71 53 24 all should be bearing more ire.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Forgetting your description of Sammy.... you don't think middling dmen play 7 years in the NHL?
The contract is fine for a bottom pair guy, which he is. But they keep putting him on the top pair and are essentially playing with 4 guys on offense. Down the lineup, pk...solid. not a top pairing guy.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
JJP has a lot of excuses made, but at some point he needs to start doing some things that can be thought of as winning hockey. I can count his puck battle wins with one finger tonight.
I liked his breakup at the blueline late in the third. Maybe that’s the model

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Olofsson plays like he's sincerely depressed, he gets the puck and it almost immediately dies on his stick. No one sets up his one timer anymore...he's just there, sort of. It's sad, honestly...he was so promising for such a long time and the light is just gone from his game. If there was ever a player in need of a change of pace it's him, but that change of pace would need to be willing to pay him over four million dollars to be a puck possession disaster who can't score.

Agree with everyone who's saying waive him...maybe he can find his game in Rochester and maybe he can't, but he's not playing a Buffalo game anymore. At least in the AHL he can hang out with Asplund when Charlotte comes to town.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Also when you end up playing with 5 defensmen because Clifton decides to pull a Vinnie Jones (10 points to anyone who gets that reference) and get kicked out of a game in front of a bunch of family and friends for doing something really stupid its going to have an effect.

Reactions: Moncton man

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

if I understand….goalies are expected to stop breakaways? If so what is team defense.

im not a breakaway against a goalies performance.

there was 2 breakaway goals and 2 deflection goals.

Reactions: Doctor Coffin

CaliSabresfan24

Aug 21, 2021
San Jose,CA

Also UPL was the reason for putting NJ on the PP for shooting the puck into the crowd

Reactions: DapperCam

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
At what point do they can whoever's involved in coaching the powerplay? It's routinely an utter cluster****. They suck at entries and retrievals, the top unit generally only looks for one play and has never shown any inkling of an idea of how to create anything when opposing teams mark Thompson in man to man defense, and they constantly cough the puck up and surrender chances against.

HogtownSabresfan

Jan 13, 2010
The team is 3-5, and we are 10% through the season. All the weaknesses that were obvious like a top 4 D, someone who can take a faceoff and a veteran goalie, were all ignored even with about $9 M in cap. More like $10 M, if we just pitched Bryson.

There is some serious talent on this team, and we are going to burn a second prime year not maximizing what we have because of salary considerations and unwillingness to trade even one prospect for some veterans.

I'm not saying the season is done. Far from it. But this a borderline 90+ team tops on the edge of the playoffs and could be in the thick of a playoff with some minor adds.

I know, but nobody will sign with us. Trades are hard to make. The excuses are overwhelming.

Go ahead trash me. I'm off to the game tomorrow because I'm hardcore. Other people are not. Attendance is tragic. I expect maybe 15,000 for a nice 1 p.,m. matinee game against a good Colorado team. Maybe less. A Saturday night crowd not even close to sold it.

One person has been there for all of this mess and his name starts with Terry. (It could be Rip Simonick's fault too.)

I have this nightmare where the Sabres move to somewhere like Salt Lake and win a cup their first year there.

Reactions: buffalowing88

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
if I understand….goalies are expected to stop breakaways? If so what is team defense.

im not a breakaway against a goalies performance.

there was 2 breakaway goals and 2 deflection goals.
Vanecek saved 2 break aways. We allowed 2 break away goals. Also, I'm not 100% sure the PP goal was actually deflected. It's hard to tell on the replay, but Hughes the player who shot it got credited with the goal and UPL was not in good position.

Like I said, the goalies didn't lose the game for us, but when you give up 5 goals it wasn't a good game for them either. It's a theme going back to last year.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
20231027_233457.jpg

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Also when you end up playing with 5 defensmen because Clifton decides to pull a Vinnie Jones (10 points to anyone who gets that reference) and get kicked out of a game in front of a bunch of family and friends for doing something really stupid its going to have an effect.
Are you talking about Bullet Tooth Tony?

Reactions: sabremike

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
meh Cliftons probably made that play 100x with a great hit, Nico pulled up

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Are you talking about Bullet Tooth Tony?
Yeah. For the people who don't get the joke: Years back notorious hard man Vinnie Jones was playing for Wimbledon away in his hometown. He begged the manager to put him into the starting IX because a bunch of his family and friends had turned out, the manager did and he promptly got sent off two minutes into the match for violent conduct.

Reactions: joshjull

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3