GBU Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul, Lose 5-4 in Jersey 10/27/2023

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good -

Greenway all over setting up Tage's goal and then great on the PK. Again.
Tage magic.
The PK.
Being the more physical team.
Tuch had himself a strong game IMO. Setting the table on the Dahlin goal by winning the icing race and then winning the puck battle.
Dahlin making up for some d-zone gaffs with an absolute cannonade.
Jokiharju with a solid game, even had a hit.
Comrie early.

The Bad -

Not converting on a breakaway and a 2-on-0 break.
Clifton with a match penalty. Not that I think he did that deliberately, that's just something that comes with someone playing a vigorous physical game.
So many deflections.
Vic with so little fight in his game.
I did not like Peterka tonight - get to the inside kid. The Devils blueline are buttery soft.

The Ugly -

Comrie hurt and the whole team just sagged.
The missed delay of game/delay of game sequence.
Thompson got absolutely wrecked at the dot tonight, particularly going 0-for-7 against Hughes. 3-for-14 from a top line pivot...

Last edited:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
Sabres need to make a trade for a top 6 forward. You can't bench two lines the last 3 minutes of a game.

Seen enough of VO. Waive him and bring something up from Roch.
Jost is a 13th forward.
Still waiting on the Krebs.
Peterka seems to be a man without a kingdom. They don't have anyone he can play with.

Reactions: Snippit

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I mean NJD is better than us and we know that. We skated with them for 40 minutes and they took over. Refs didn't help. It's light years better than some of the early games.

To me I still think there are just a few too many nothing forwards. Olofsson and Okposo are not doing anything out there. We already have several guys who are young and developing and at various points ineffective (Peterka, Krebs, etc.) but it's too much when there are vets that are just passengers as well.

Look at NJD who have the likes of McLeod on the 4th line and how much trouble he was causing.

DapperCam

Jul 9, 2006
G:
- Thompson goal was a beauty

B:
- Skinner played dumb. Led to goals against.
- Two clean breakaways with no goal. Tuch’s attempt was pretty poor.
- A more veteran team would have locked down the end of the game and gotten a point after the Cozens goal. Gotta get points on the road.

U:
- Comrie getting injured seemed to take all the air out of the arena for the Sabres

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Sabres need to make a trade for a top 6 forward. You can't bench two lines the last 3 minutes of a game.

Jost is a 13th forward.
Peterka seems to be a man without a kingdom. They don't have anyone he can play with.

JJP has a lot of excuses made, but at some point he needs to start doing some things that can be thought of as winning hockey. I can count his puck battle wins with one finger tonight.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
Man what a guy punch. I mostly liked how the skaters played.

UPL man, clearly the third guy and now thrust into the net because we can’t ever catch a f***ing break with goalies staying healthy.

How the hell did goalies play 70+ games 15 years ago?

I’ll add, 3 shots in the third period - not acceptable.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
JJP has a lot of excuses made, but at some point he needs to start doing some things that can be thought of as winning hockey. I can count his puck battle wins with one finger tonight.
Sophomore slump I supposed. He came out of the gate flying. He had a goal, and he kept his legs moving. There are a lot of other forwards I'd call out before him.

Reactions: allsilverdreams

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Jost is a 13th forward.
Yes you can. Teams do it all the time. I don’t know why you think thats even remotely unusual.

Last edited:

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The thing that upset me the most was not seeing the game out and banking the point. They NEED to learn how to do that if they want to make the playoffs because honestly they did deserve a point tonight.

20231027_183901.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Rough night for Samuelsson in his own zone, in particular the GWG that he deflects into Haula who deflected it into the net. I thought he had a rough time with some puck movement at times too.

Jokiharju had a solid, relatively low-notice all around game. He even hit someone in the high slot to dislodge a puck.

That 2nd PP unit is a f***ing tire fire. Just put out a regular line and stop trying to be fancy.

HOOats

NO DOOM NO GLOOM
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Yeah. He's on pace for 40 goals and he looks electrifying at times, but he's way too easy for opponents to cancel out when the going gets tough. I think he has star first line potential still, but you're right on re: "winning hockey." Not to start a firestorm, but it's why I did and still do to an extent think of him as the guy with the best combination of value to another team and replaceability once all our forwards arrive.

It does feel like we're short a top 9 forward right now with Vic and Krebs/Jost kind of just going through the motions. I still daydream about Kane, granted I understand that an all offense F might not be everyone's choice (even though our team D seems to have improved some). Could Calgary want to make a shakeup trade with us? VO and a good prospect for one of their second liners?

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Samuelsson is a middling defenseman at best and he’s signed 7 more years.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Yeah. He's on pace for 40 goals and he looks electrifying at times, but he's way too easy for opponents to cancel out when the going gets tough. I think he has star first line potential still, but you're right on re: "winning hockey." Not to start a firestorm, but it's why I did and still do to an extent think of him as the guy with the best combination of value to another team and replaceability once all our forwards arrive.

It does feel like we're short a top 9 forward right now with Vic and Krebs/Jost kind of just going through the motions. I still daydream about Kane, granted I understand that an all offense F might not be everyone's choice (even though our team D seems to have improved some). Could Calgary want to make a shakeup trade with us? VO and a good prospect for one of their second liners?

If I knew more about Garland in Vancouver in the room, he's a guy I come back to as a possible swap. He's been a productive 5-on-5 guy in both Arizona and with the Canucks. But it's two more years on that deal after this one.

I know JJP scored tonight. I still thought he was crap. He's been in town long enough, he can take some of the flak.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad