Post-Game Talk: Honey Badger ain't got time for Blackhawks. Bosus and his disciples 4-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

thepuckmonster

Professional Winner.
Oct 25, 2011
Vancouver
Vey makes about 2 outstanding offensive plays a game and then is either irrelevant/useless or detrimental to the team for the rest of the game.

He's an extremely talented player offensively and I think a lot of people get caught up in his few moments of offensive flashes rather than his game as a whole.

We do need that offensively creativity though.

Bieksa#3

Mar 2, 2007
We do need that offensively creativity though.

Yea I agree. I'm not hating on him but that is just what I see from him.

He's a rookie too so he's going to hopefully learn and improve as we get deeper into the season. Not too worried about him but I do like him better as a winger and hope he stays on the wing even when we are all healthy up front

I would be quite worried if I was Kassian though. He might actually be the one that gets some pressbox treatment if Horvat does (and should) stick past the 9 games and when Burrows comes back.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
sadhawks.png

Glorious

Vey has great vision and skill in the o-zone, I'm assuming he thrived off a puck possession/playmaking game in junior/AHL cause it seems thats what he's trying to do but he isn't strong enough

I think he'll improve but right now he's a better Dalpe definitely the one to sit

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So he's Kyle Wellwood?

Kyle Wellwood was a very responsible two-way player who, although he didn't fit the 'profile' of a #3 centre, was able to effectively centre an NHL checking line in reasonably tough minutes.

Right now Vey is a poor man's Wellwood. I don't have a problem with keeping him on the roster and trying to develop him more than that (and I'm glad our weakest forward is a Vey and not a Sestito), but right now he's playing too much and not helping the team as a result.

And long-term it's hard to see where he fits, with Sedin-Bonino-Horvat pretty clearly set down the middle for the next few years.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
He's no doubt our flashiest forward. What's the old adage about Babe Ruth? No one remembers the strikeouts, they remember the home runs. That's what I see in Vey. He's real flashy but has to learn the finer parts of the game.

Now for something completely OT but to continue your point....

Not many know that Babe Ruth was at one time, one of the best *PITCHERS* in major league baseball before the Red Sox switched him permanently to the outfield. In fact, he might've been able to get into the baseball hall of fame soley as a pitcher had he continued playing that position. Ruth even managed to pitch a shutout for the Yankees in the World Series! When people talk about who was the best on baseball - it's tough not to take account of the fact just how good he was both pitching and hitting (can't get a more complete player than that).

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Now for something completely OT but to continue your point....

Not many know that Babe Ruth was at one time, one of the best *PITCHERS* in major league baseball before the Red Sox switched him permanently to the outfield. In fact, he might've been able to get into the baseball hall of fame soley as a pitcher had he continued playing that position. Ruth even managed to pitch a shutout for the Yankees in the World Series! When people talk about who was the best on baseball - it's tough not to take account of the fact just how good he was both pitching and hitting (can't get a more complete player than that).

Not many people know that?

It's possible that his being a pitcher was partially responsible for the way he hit. He was arguably the first player to use an "uppercut" swing, and try to hit homeruns; at the time, this sort of swing would have been corrected as players were encouraged to keep their swings level and hit singles. However, with the Babe being a such good pitcher and all, nobody really cared that he had this "flaw" in his swing. It went uncorrected and well, once he got good at making contact with it...

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Agreed with MS on Bonino, can't wait to see Burrows back there.

Great to see Bo rewarded with steady line mates and ice time. Hansen displayed good finish.

The best thing about Hansen was how into the game he was. He and the remaining core from 2009-2011 played with some intensity and really showed they still feel Chicago's a rival, and I liked that.

Grazzy

Sep 29, 2012
Kyle Wellwood had a pretty decent defensive game and could win faceoffs. So I don't consider them similar

Kyle Wellwood was also an NHL vet when he came to Van. If Nucks fans really want the youth movement that they've been asking for, a bit more patience might be needed. Remember the kids 23.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
where luc bourdon at

Working. I am beyond impressed with Horvat. But let's not forget there was a majority of people who wanted to send him down just a few games ago.

He is showing he is a damn good player, at 19 years old to play this well defensively, and NOW the important part is contributing offensively, they might just have something with this kid.

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
Why break up the Hansen-Horvat-Dorsett line?

Keep Matthias-Richardson-Kassian together

A hunch that richardson and matthias need a speedster in dorsett, and horvat and hansen need kassians amazeballs passing

Horvat has been good with anyone he plays with, got a few +s with kassian in prior games.

horvat isnt a 4th line centre even if u call it a 4th line, the kid is shafted for 6 games when i those games he looked amazing. Why does he get 14 min tonight when he was rdy for it in game 1, talk about slowpoke the kid is ready for top 9 now

now everyone claims horvat magically turned it around yea ok, the kid has looked perfect from game 1 put him with kassian so zack can start producing

Last edited:

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I'm trying hard to maintain my excitement levels for this team but the difference in coaching feels so liberating. Last year it didn't feel like the Canucks were playing a game that was relevant to the current state of hockey. Now, all the lines are heavily encouraged to carry the puck over the line, to cycle deep, to hold on to the puck 5v5 as well as the penalty kill.

Watching a fourth line that has, throughout the year, played 10-12 minutes of good to great hockey is such a foreign feeling compared to when the fourth line was just there to throw punches and to serve as punishment for poor play.

The Canucks, through and through, pushed the pace against Chicago and never seemed to stay in their own zone for too long even on the penalty kill. There was mojo and confidence. There weren't any brutal turnovers that ended in the back of the net. Perhaps Chicago spent too much energy in Edmonton. Their guns were pretty invisible and Toews couldn't seem to beat anyone on the draw.

Add in no garbage goals from the goalie and you get a very encouraging 4-1 win.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
It was pretty insane how good that 4th line was tonight, i cant remember the last time i was excited and wanted to see our 4th line out constantly during the game.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
Working. I am beyond impressed with Horvat. But let's not forget there was a majority of people who wanted to send him down just a few games ago.

He is showing he is a damn good player, at 19 years old to play this well defensively, and NOW the important part is contributing offensively, they might just have something with this kid.

The important part is that he seemed to have gained Willie's trust.

Hell, the fact that he was out when the Hawks had their goalie pulled says a ton

MegaSpiderman66

Oct 11, 2011
The important part is that he seemed to have gained Willie's trust.

Hell, the fact that he was out when the Hawks had their goalie pulled says a ton

Agreed, it was nice to see Desjardin reward them with that ice time so hansen could try and get the hattie. Line had a really good game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad