Post-Game Talk: Home Opener: Canucks 5, Flames 2. The Alien has landed.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Hopefully the first line picks up and Brock gets going. Boeser played better with Gagner & Vanek last year than he did with Bo & Baer. Our first line was by far the worst line last night. Boeser feeds off of a heavy cycle game where he finds openings in the slot and lets them rip, maybe Brock would have more success on a different line?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Hopefully the first line picks up and Brock gets going. Boeser played better with Gagner & Vanek last year than he did with Bo & Baer. Our first line was by far the worst line last night. Boeser feeds off of a heavy cycle game where he finds openings in the slot and lets them rip, maybe Brock would have more success on a different line?

He should be playing with Pettersson and his job should be to simply get open and rip shots. Brock isn't mobile enough to drive the play himself, he is a pure finisher. Think Heatley.

Reactions: JuniorNelson

Balls Mahoney

2015-2016 HF Premier League World Champion
Aug 14, 2008
Legend
I think Brock is a prime suspect in the FortniteGateEpidemic. The guy has clearly lost a lot of his quick muscle reaction. I forget the proper name and conditioning for this. I believe it's twitch condition or twitch muscle fiber conditioning? Something like that. Point is, Boeser is not quick like he was last season and he looks downright sluggish. I understand he's coming off an injury. But he looks like he's carrying extra 20 pounds and he looks slow this season which is greatly hindering his game. Last season he looked like Kovalchuk but this season, he's laboring to get into scoring positions and to get his shot off. He looks like Matt Moulson to me as he is right now. I think either he was lazy this off-season or he completely screwed up his training regime.

It's going to take half a season to fix this.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I wish I could filter out posts that include the word "Fortnite".

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Who was the biggest surprise for everyone?
After Pettersson's unreal pre-season, him putting up 2 points wasn't overly shocking. I thought Markstrom played out of his mind.
There weren't really any huge surprises, IMO. Everyone played to their normal capabilities but worked harder. Probably Markstrom by default, but we know that he can occasionally do this.

Maybe Granlund, who usually isn't this reliable defensively and wasn't all that promising in preseason.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
[QUOTE="Johnny Canucker, post: 150255709, member]I know it’s cool to blindly hate him.[/QUOTE]

Understatement of the year.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
You’re wrong. Gudbranson played well last night. I know it’s cool to blindly hate him but he was more than fine.

I don’t know if it’s cool so much as the opinion that is factually correct the majority of the time. If you’re going to have a blind opinion, it’s definitely the best one to have.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
A big takeaway for me was the PK...we played 14 minutes of the game short-handed (seemed like the refs were on a mission) and looked impressive killing them off...If we can get the PP going with EP and Boeser ,that would give us awesome special teams,which we haven't had for what seems like an eternity.

Goaltending..Last night Markstrom was totally amazing,but boy..he was really hung out to dry by his teammates in the 3rd last night..That has to improve

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Is Hutton finished as a Canuck? Crazy how he got benched over Pouliot based on pre season performance .Although Pouliot was decent last night .
Its one game...of course Huttons not finished as a Canuck...(give it a week,and one of our current D will be injured)...My guess is that Pouliot got the call because he is better on the PP.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
I don’t know if it’s cool so much as the opinion that is factually correct the majority of the time. If you’re going to have a blind opinion, it’s definitely the best one to have.
Nah. I was there in box seats. Great view. He’s the only one that has push back. Hit for his first penalty was late for sure. He played on the edge. Stood up and took a fight for it and won it. Took out a good player off the ice for a while. Clears the crease. Physical. We don’t have enough of that.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Hamonic doubtful for Saturdays rematch..Prout will be in,and will most likely be Guddys dance partner..(no worries though,they have squared off a few times before with Gudbranson getting the better).

Reactions: FacepalmBenning

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Hamonic doubtful for Saturdays rematch..Prout will be in,and will most likely be Guddys dance partner..(no worries though,they have squared off a few times before with Gudbranson getting the better).

guddy out with a wrist injury and hutton in the lineup in t minus 3 days and counting.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Who was the biggest surprise for everyone?
After Pettersson's unreal pre-season, him putting up 2 points wasn't overly shocking. I thought Markstrom played out of his mind.

A pleasant surprise about the TEAM was how fast they looked. Gave them very little time and space the first 43 mins of the game.

Team speed looked good.

Motte-Sutter-Virtanen are all top level skaters on this team... should make them very good disrupters vs top lines.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Nah. I was there in box seats. Great view. He’s the only one that has push back. Hit for his first penalty was late for sure. He played on the edge. Stood up and took a fight for it and won it. Took out a good player off the ice for a while. Clears the crease. Physical. We don’t have enough of that.
Well hey! If you were in the box seats that changes everything! I’m sorry I ever doubted your keen powers of observation and scouting abilities.
:laugh:

Reactions: Josepho and Pip

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Well hey! If you were in the box seats that changes everything! I’m sorry I ever doubted your keen powers of observation and scouting abilities.
:laugh:

It does surprise me sometimes how confident people are in their evaluations when they're not in the rink. I find it very difficult to assess players just by watching on TV.

Reactions: Johnny Canucker

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It does surprise me sometimes how confident people are in their evaluations when they're not in the rink. I find it very difficult to assess players just by watching on TV.
Agreed. It’s easier to focus on one or two players when you’re at the rink. I’m not sure it’s easier to focus on the whole team though. It really depends on the skill of the person doing the evaluating as well.
But I agree. That’s why scouts like to go to prospects games and see them live.
For me, it really boils down to how much I trust someone to (a) be able to make a good assessment of a player, and
(b) keep any personal biases out of it.
There’s some really good posters on here who I look forward to reading their views on a game and the players.

Last edited:
Reactions: lindgren

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Agreed. It’s easier to focus on one or two players when you’re at the rink. I’m not sure it’s easier to focus on the whole team though. It really depends on the skill of the person doing the evaluating as well.
But I agree. That’s why scouts like to go to prospects games and see them live.
For me, it really boils down to how much I trust someone to (a) be able to make a good assessment of a player, and
(b) keep any personal biases out of it.
There’s some really good posters on here who I look forward to reading their views on a game and the players.

To be honest, I'm also not very confident of my evaluations when I'm at the rink. I never played the game, so there's a lot I don't see. (Soccer is a different story.)

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
I think somethings are analyzed better live and some are fine on TV. It's much easier to follow a specific player when you're watching live, but I've always found it easier to watch plays develop watching on a screen. Especially when you can rewind if you're not certain you saw what you saw.

If I were ever a scout I'd want to watch the games live, especially to scout a specific player, and then watch a recording of the game after.

Anyway, I only watched the first period last night but I noticed Tanev had a good chance. In the preseason I noticed he looked to be skating the puck and taking shots more. Others noticed the same but suggested it's because he hasn't had his annual beat down yet. I'm hoping though he did the Kesler training plan of taking hundreds of shots every day in the off season. If Tanev could just play the f***ing point on the powerplay this team would be so much better.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Just goes to show how meaningless the exhibition schedule is for everybody but the bubble players. I thought both Gudbranson and Pouliot were solid last night but looked positively scary during the preseason games.

And as one poster who's thrown more than a few brickbats at Jimbo, you have to give credit where credit is due. Goldobin, Leipsic and Motte look like they can contribute significantly to this Canucks team, and were all acquired for the equivalent of pennies on the dollar. Nice pickups by Benning who traded two guys who aren't even in the league anymore, and basically a 'rental player' in Vanek.

And when you throw in Dahlen who might their best prospect in Utica (for the now retired Burrows), the record looks even better. And fingers crossed that the deal with Pens for Pouliot at the cost of Andrey Pedan (no longer in the league) and a fourth rounder, might pan out as well.

Doesn't necessary compensate for the Gudbranson-Sutter deals, but you have to admit, they're getting better.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2