Post-Game Talk: Home Opener: Canucks 5, Flames 2. The Alien has landed.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Just goes to show how meaningless the exhibition schedule is for everybody but the bubble players. I thought both Gudbranson and Pouliot were solid last night but looked positively scary during the preseason games.

And as one poster who's thrown more than a few brickbats at Jimbo, you have to give credit where credit is due. Goldobin, Leipsic and Motte look like they can contribute significantly to this Canucks team, and were all acquired for the equivalent of pennies on the dollar. Nice pickups by Benning who traded two guys who aren't even in the league anymore, and basically a 'rental player' in Vanek.

And when you throw in Dahlen who might their best prospect in Utica (for the now retired Burrows), the record looks even better. And fingers crossed that the deal with Pens for Pouliot at the cost of Andrey Pedan (no longer in the league) and a fourth rounder, might pan out as well.

Doesn't necessary compensate for the Gudbranson-Sutter deals, but you have to admit, they're getting better.

Grandlund is not bad either, I remember Canuckland was in full arms when we traded Shinkaruk for him, who was just recently waived. Grandlund is still a 3rd liner. Baertchi for a 2nd rounder is not bad either. He's made some good trades and some bad trades, not totally sold on Pouliout or Gudbranson, but would love to see him play like that more often then not. He really neutered the flames grit last night.

Reactions: Nomobo

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Grandlund is not bad either, I remember Canuckland was in full arms when we traded Shinkaruk for him, who was just recently waived. Grandlund is still a 3rd liner. Baertchi for a 2nd rounder is not bad either. He's made some good trades and some bad trades, not totally sold on Pouliout or Gudbranson, but would love to see him play like that more often then not. He really neutered the flames grit last night.

Granlund trade wasn't bad.
Baertchi trade was pretty good.
I also like the Goldobin trade.

But he wasted so much on Gudbranson, and then doubled down with that ridiculous contract that pays him the same money and term as Roman Josi.

It really is a case of 1 step forwards 3 steps back with him. A competent GM would have a better track record. A better track record should be expected.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Great effort from some guys who are basically nearing the make-or-break stage for their NHL careers (Motte, Virtanen, etc). I still absolutely hate our blue line and there are way too many floaters on this team.

That move and finish last night were pure goal scorer if his hands have finally caught up to his speed look out.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
You’re wrong. Gudbranson played well last night. I know it’s cool to blindly hate him but he was more than fine.

I thought so too. As long as he keeps his game simple, doesn't over handle the puck and uses his body more consistently, that's the type of player I appreciate on the 3rd pairing.

Hopefully he can keep that up, it might help me forget what they relinquished to acquire and what they're paying him. Was quite pleased with his game though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad