Homage to Anisimov

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
It's rare I start two threads in one night, but this ones needed.

Don't for one second underestimate what Anisimov brought to this team defensively. Sure he's gone now. I'm not going to whine about it, we got a stud in return.

But this dude was a hell of defensive center. If you watched his play, I mean really watched it, you'll know what I mean.

KingWantsCup

#FightLikeHell
Jul 3, 2009
New Jersey
Very likeable guy, but ultimately expendable. That doesn't mean I didn't appreciate Anisimov in his time here though. I wish him the very best in Columbus.

Barnaby

Jul 2, 2003
Port Jefferson, NY
It's rare I start two threads in one night, but this ones needed.

Don't for one second underestimate what Anisimov brought to this team defensively. Sure he's gone now. I'm not going to whine about it, we got a stud in return.

But this dude was a hell of defensive center. If you watched his play, I mean really watched it, you'll know what I mean.

... and yet he NEVER played against other teams top lines. He was also invisible in the playoffs. He's a solid player, but let's not go overboard. He's replaceable.

CBJ could be the best thing that ever happens to Dubinsky and Anisimov. They should get major minutes in all situations and be relied upon. I'm fairly certain that Dubinsky will return to what he was 2 years ago which he probably wouldn't have done here. Anisimov? I'm curious to see if he can get some confidence and show some improvement.

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Just a note, he was also leading his KHL team in points this season.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Anisimov had one of the best wrist shots I have ever seen in my life. Just took too long to get it off completely. Good to way player, defensively responsible. If he was included as a throw in on the deal I can't pretend to be pleased about it.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Lacks hockey IQ and has a low compete level. Not a combo that makes for a player reaching his full potential.

I agree about the IQ, but disagree about the compete level. I think he busted his ass most nights. That he had a low hockey IQ occasionally made him look lost, but I don't think it was for lack of effort.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
I agree about the IQ, but disagree about the compete level. I think he busted his ass most nights. That he had a low hockey IQ occasionally made him look lost, but I don't think it was for lack of effort.

Honestly, after the incident with Tampa I thought he wilted a bit as a player.

gary laser eyes

Apr 6, 2007
Just a note, he was also leading his KHL team in points this season.

Tim Stapleton, Randy Robitaille, Brandon Bochenski and Jakub Petruzalek are amongst the top 20 scorers in the KHL this season...

I'm gonna miss Anisimov the most from the trade, but he was more often than not a passenger. He will be easily replaced via free agency or from within the system with guys like Miller/Fast/Hrivik/Lindberg.

AWall THE CLAW

Jul 23, 2010
Thing is, for most of his last season here they had him on the wing. I liked Anisimov. He had a good skill set, showed some flashes of what he could be, and his interviews were hilarious. However, to essentially replace him on the 3rd line with a hard-working speedster like Pyatt will benefit the Rangers considering the style they play. Not to mention getting back Rick effing Nash as part of the deal.

Cliffy1814

Nov 10, 2011
Tim Stapleton, Randy Robitaille, Brandon Bochenski and Jakub Petruzalek are amongst the top 20 scorers in the KHL this season...

I'm gonna miss Anisimov the most from the trade, but he was more often than not a passenger. He will be easily replaced via free agency or from within the system with guys like Miller/Fast/Hrivik/Lindberg.

Good player with some skills that indicate he should score more than he does.
Good (not great) defensive center.

That same scouting report can be applied to many across the league. He can be replaced.

I hope to see him increase his production ala Korpokoski with increased playing time, but I think dubi (short term) and Erixon (long term) are bigger losses than AA.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
Kid just lacked confidence and is easily knocked off his game when the play gets overly physical. Always played his best hockey in wide-open contests, or when he had some muscle on his line.

I think he'll do well in Columbus but I was sad to see him go.

we want cup

Apr 12, 2007
NYC
Kid just lacked confidence and is easily knocked off his game when the play gets overly physical. Always played his best hockey in wide-open contests, or when he had some muscle on his line.

I think he'll do well in Columbus but I was sad to see him go.

The best stretch of games he ever had was playing with Prust and Jody Shelley. :laugh:

Kel Varnsen

Below: Nash's Heart
Sep 27, 2009
I'm going to miss Dubi a lot more, but I think the timing of any reminiscing about player X threads shouldn't be started nine days before a season that's been put off months already. We should be looking forwards right now.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Liked Dubinsky more as well. Anisimov was a good player but he wasn't anything really special. He kind of plateaued as a scorer and didn't play especially well in more physical games. Dubinsky's scoring fell off last year but he was always an involved physical player.

Dec 13, 2010
Agree 100% about the hockey IQ. That was always my issue with the kid...he seemed like he worked hard and had a good amount of talent but he was so dumb on the ice. Never seemed to know where he had to be or what to do in a jam. That will hold him back a lot, but he's got the talent to be a top 6 guy for sure.

Unpredictable1

Jan 27, 2008
Alberta
both guys will benefit from playing in Columbus.

this x2. I think they're get more ice time than they would have here, get used in more situations (ie PP)

Who knows, once they've been there for a bit and continue to develop we can get one or both back. Yeah, I said it.

I'll miss Anisimov.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Loved him in his draft year, ranked him about 20 spots ahead of most of the draft site predictions. He played some good hockey for us, and as a young Russian, pretty impressive.

Ultimately he's frustrating because of all the natural tools in a big body up the middle, yet the results are varied game in game out.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Thing is, for most of his last season here they had him on the wing. I liked Anisimov. He had a good skill set, showed some flashes of what he could be, and his interviews were hilarious. However, to essentially replace him on the 3rd line with a hard-working speedster like Pyatt will benefit the Rangers considering the style they play. Not to mention getting back Rick effing Nash as part of the deal.

Of the comments, this^ summarizes it best for me.
Considered him more effective generally as a C, and they or he didn't maximize his shot.
Don't see there was another alternative to his inclusion in the Nash deal; seems like other players not good enough for Columbus to take, or too good for Rangers to part with.

Blueblood2

Nov 14, 2011
Smart player who positionally excellent and has a lot of natural ability. My problem with Artie was that I didnt think we consistently got the best he could offer. Maybe its his personality but seems like sometimes his effort was not up to some of his teammates.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Of the comments, this^ summarizes it best for me.
Considered him more effective generally as a C, and they or he didn't maximize his shot.
Don't see there was another alternative to his inclusion in the Nash deal; seems like other players not good enough for Columbus to take, or too good for Rangers to part with.

Always liked him on the wing. But the temptation to have that size and reach(wingspan, so important no one ever mentions it!) up the middle was enticing, I understand the move to keep him there. Looking as his offensive skill set, I always thought we should have tried him more on the Wing.

As a Center he was too focused on one job to think about the other most nights.

On a side note, I think Columbus will get some surprise wins if teams don't show up to play against the lowly franchise.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Ya, the IQ thing. Anisimov never seem to be able to find the right places at the right times. You don't find many plays where it's badabingbadaboom and anisimov scores.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Liked the guy, but will never be the sum of his parts because he lacks the heart to be consistent.

Doesn't lack IQ in the slightest bit, lacks the drive to play at his best consistently. Now I'm not saying he would dominate games when he was on, but he was quite the presence when he asserted himself into the game. Other times, you wouldn't even know he was out there.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Jul 18, 2006
Didnt mind him, didnt love him.

Thought his defensive play was a bit overrated.

We'll also need to find a new softest player on the team now that hes departed

(I dont count Gaborik as long as he keeps scoring .5 goals per game)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad