Confirmed with Link: Holzer to ANA for Eric Brewer and 5th rd pick

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
I can't help but find it hilarious that people are actually upset about trading a fringe NHL player because "we developed him!" and "he's physical and a good guy!".. Good lord lol

Take the 5th and run. I for one am just astonished anyone wanted this guy at all.

It's Toronto. Everybody is a "good guy." Until they're not. But even then they should still be worth six first round draft choices on the open market.

Inconceivable

Oct 13, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
10 years of development led to him playing a few NHL games here and there because of injuries and generally being a #6-#7 defenseman.

Why wouldn't you trade him and get another crack at a 5th round project?

Remember, Connor Brown was picked in the 6th round and he likely goes 1st round or high 2nd in a redraft because he's leading AHL scoring for rookies at the moment.

I'd much rather have 5th round pick over Holzer. He's not anything we are going to miss.

Heck we can call up MacWilliam or the next guy to be a #6D.

That's true, hopefully the pick can become a good piece. I still would have liked to keep holzer though. I think our only rhd prospect is granberg, and holzer would be a good partner for the young guys. I even felt that gardiner looked much better beside holzer than he did beside polak this year. Hopefully the leafs can get him back as a ufa

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Not impressed by this. They shipped him out after almost 10 years of development and finally making the team. Why not sign him for a couple years and let him be a role model for the current batch of young defensemen who are coming up through the system?

I have a feeling that he will look awesome in Anaheim. Their big core will make him look 2 inches taller

This is pure speculation on my part, but I doubt Holzer wanted to stay here. He's 27 and has only been given 58 NHL games in his history with the Leafs.

In 2013, they put Holzer, a rookie dman never expected to be more than a bottom pairing guy, onto the top pairing. Obviously he struggled, and then they didn't bring him back up to the NHL for another year and a half.

Had they eased him into the NHL 2-3 years ago, he probably could have been a steady bottom pairing guy for several years now. IMO Holzer wasn't given a fair shake up until this year, and I'd guess he feels the same.

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
I liked Holzer, was always rooting from him to stick, and wish him well going forward.

But he's also 27. He is what he is and that's nothing which cannot be found during free agency.

Take the pick, give it to Bergman, and see what happens.

As for Brewer, he's played a grand total of 26 games this year. Likely a cap dump to help the Ducks acquire Wisniewski. Maybe that favour will be repaid sometime in the future.

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
Brewer was captain years ago with the Blues. Maybe he can be a vet leader out there for a month and a half.

That is a very good point that is getting overlooked, in my opinion.

Maybe Brewer will actually be good for this team, as far as morale and the give-a-spit meter are concerned.

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
That is a very good point that is getting overlooked, in my opinion.

Maybe Brewer will actually be good for this team, as far as morale and the give-a-spit meter are concerned.

Went from Ducks (cup contender) to Toronto, at the end of his career. Doubt his "give-a-****' meter is very high.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Brewer will play his 1000th game in 9 games with the Leafs. Wonder if they will do a centre ice tribute for him?

As weird as it may seem, that's a long time to play in the league. A small tribute would show some class.

I Am The Stig

SPACESHIP!!
Oct 19, 2011
There's really nothing to get upset about with this trade. It doesn't really do anything positive or negative for the Leafs.

I mean the negative is you give up Holzer who is a fringe NHL player but the positive is that you get veteran presence on the blue line and you get a draft pick lol.

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
This is a nice trade. Brewer is still very much a serviceable player, better than Holzer and the 5th is a bonus. Solid trade!

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
I always liked Holzer and was rooting for him. Of course. But it's nice to get the 5th rounder. We need a lot of picks in the next 5 years.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
I don't get this deal from Anaheim's side.

What's the point?

Is Brewer that bad that Holzer is an upgrade?

What's the angle I'm missing?

Anaheim is looking for a playoff run this year. I get it, get Holzer a big warm body on the blue line that can be a 6th/7th d-man. But why not hold onto Brewer? Or is it just finances?

Brewer is a terrible hockey player at this point. Holzer is fine as a 6th-7th dman. Thats why hes a 6th-7th dman

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Brewer is a terrible hockey player at this point. Holzer is fine as a 6th-7th dman. Thats why hes a 6th-7th dman

Guessing picking up Wisniewski they also had to cut some salary to get under their internal salary limit. Also got a body that can probably make it through the grind of the western conference playoffs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Why take Brewer? Does he really help, or hinder, the tank?

Why didn't we just keep Holzer?

How does a 5th round pick help our future?

ChillyPalmer

Apr 9, 2012
Antarctica
Why take Brewer? Does he really help, or hinder, the tank?

Why didn't we just keep Holzer?

How does a 5th round pick help our future?

jon-stewart-huh.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad