Confirmed with Link: Holzer to ANA for Eric Brewer and 5th rd pick

PlietscherDassel

Dec 3, 2009
That's the point. Here we have a guy we drafted, and, spent time and effort developing, who is also big and tough, and we trade him! These are the type of players we should be keeping IMHO. Watch, at some point we'll make a trade, burning assets, to acquire this type of player at a later date! :help:

Agreed. To develop your own players you need some guys on your team that went through your entire system and experienced all the ups and downs.

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Our loss of Holzer, is the Ducks gain. :nod:

This was a stupid trade IMHO. We trade a big, tough, home grown player for a cap dump! :shakehead

We are hell bent on keeping powder puff, afraid of their own shadow type players like Gardiner! :rant:

I'm amazed that they didn't unload Polak for another cap dump! :amazed:

Idiots! :p:

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I do not understand this trade at all, i thought Holzer was playing quite well.

Not sure I understand this trade either.

Toronto does Anaheim a solid by taking on cash dump Eric Brewer ($2.65 mil) so they can trade for and take on James Wisniewski full $5.5 mil cap hit.

For that Anaheim sends over a 5th round pick to Leafs.

What is Holzer's role in this trade?

Besides he is a home grown drafted and developed player and was playing quite well to boot and only making $785k. Aren't these the kinds of players you want for a draft rebuild?

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Not sure I understand this trade either.

Toronto does Anaheim a solid by taking on cash dump Eric Brewer ($2.65 mil) so they can trade for and take on James Wisniewski full $5.5 mil cap hit.

For that Anaheim sends over a 5th round pick to Leafs.

What is Holzer's role in this trade?

I think Nonis had the concussion and not Holzer. He is a perfect 6th dman.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I really don't like this trade at all to be honest. I thought Holzer was developing nicely. Good #6 defenseman. Now we just lose him for a 50 year old and a 5th round pick that will probably not amount to anything

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
On the face, I didn't understand this trade either... homegrown guy, developed here, cheap... and very little in return... but let's face it, 27 years old... going to be in his 30's before we really can compete... he doesn't really fit in with the age of where we are probably going, and he is nothing special. We have Loov and Granberg who can do the same thing or better, and are younger too... we have the pipeline to back fill this, and get an asset in return. He just wasn't that special, just a 6/7 guy and we have plenty of those.

Gardiner Expressway

Dec 1, 2011
This guy was an UFA and wasn't coming back.

We didn't "pour 10 years of development" into Holzer. We drafted him and waited 10 years to find out if he'd become anything more than a bottom pairing plug and turns out the answer is no.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Ufa

Indeed he was walking so we got something. He has been around forever and couldnt get ice time, at 27 he would walk to another team, his time here was done. If we are in rebuild he would lose ice time to some kids next year. 6th Dman on a bad team and we ate salary to get a 5th.

Animal

Oct 10, 2012
Developing?! The guy is 27, and one of the worst defence men in the league. Amazing that we got a 5th, i was hoping for a 7th

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Because hes a ufa

His contract expires at the end of this season. Anaheim needed to dump money. This was essentially Holzer for a pick. To people who "don't get it".... you see there's this thing called a "salary cap"........

This guy was an UFA and wasn't coming back.

We didn't "pour 10 years of development" into Holzer. We drafted him and waited 10 years to find out if he'd become anything more than a bottom pairing plug and turns out the answer is no.

Brewer is UFA at the end of the season as well. Ducks were not up against the Cap at any point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad