Speculation: Holtby's next contract?

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I'm good with rolling the dice on a shorter term, say 2 years, and thus cheaper cap hit deal. If he continues to play great and that costs them a more expensive deal later I'm ok with that.

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA
I'm good with rolling the dice on a shorter term, say 2 years, and thus cheaper cap hit deal. If he continues to play great and that costs them a more expensive deal later I'm ok with that.

I would be too, but I'm not sure that option is even on the table. It could just be short and expensive vs long and expensive.

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Remember - we could probably get a longer deal for cheap if we just front load his contract.

That's what's great about the NHL and having an owner that's not afraid to open his checkbook. This is where the Capitals have an advantage over a lot of other smaller market teams. IF GMBM was smart he'd know this and use Ted for his advantage.

If we give him a 6-8 year deal and pay him around 5-5.5/year cap hit (which I think could be a great deal), we could always front load the contract to make it look more pretty. Give Holtby 7 - 7.5 million/year first couple years and then end of the contract have it go down into the 3 or so million range. That way if he's making an extra 5-8 million first couple years that could turn into an extra milllion or two with proper investments/etc that I'm sure a lot of players do. That's why getting more money up front is smarter.

BTW, Is hockey the only major sport that does stuff like this with contracts? Where they can pay someone a different amount than what the cap hit actually is b/c they just use the avg? In football the cap hit is what you are getting paid that year, same with baseball/basketball too (I think).

Last edited:

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
Speaking of the cap and front loading deals... I just read that in 2015 Shea Weber is getting paid TWENTY SEVEN MILLION DOLLARS!!!!@!**&!!!!

DanTHEMan71

Feb 23, 2010
We're just going to have to hope we have a decent playoff run so maybe Holts will consider taking somewhat of a hometown discount.

Regardless, 5-6 mill is probably the only range they'll be talking.

I think Holts is worth that.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I would be too, but I'm not sure that option is even on the table. It could just be short and expensive vs long and expensive.

Well I think that depends on what you mean by 'expensive.' Often RFA years are a decent amount cheaper than UFA years in a contract IMO. How many RFA years does Holtby have left?

ChibiPooky

Yay hockey!
May 25, 2011
Fairfax, VA

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
A little bit, I guess (not that CapGeek was going to be a big help in this regard anyway - I was just being bitter). I still don't know whether he has any sort of arbitration rights or even what any of the qualifications are for goalies.

Where's Sk8 when you need her...?

FloridaCap

Beaglechuk Mania
Jun 30, 2012
I didn't realize he was that close. Just give him the f'ing 8 years and be done with it.

8 years would be awful. 1, it would probably cost a ton if Holtby is confident in his abilities. That takes him past his prime and he knows that, so he'd want what he's capable of making. 2, if he flames out, we're practically DiPietro'd.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00