Speculation: Holtby's next contract?

SpinningEdge

Feb 12, 2015
Fairfax, VA
It is going to go two ways.

Either long term which will be 6-8 years - or he will sign for a 2-3 year deal and be a UFA when he's in his prime years of 27/28 years old (like Mike Green did).

I'm hoping It's a long term deal and we can just commit to him. It has been long overdue the Caps committing to a goalie and Holtby seems like the right guy. Continuously improving, liked in the locker room, and good character. Sign the guy and get him paid!

7 years/38.5 million (5.5/year).

Last edited:

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
im bad at guessing contracts so id have to say 6 years 30 mil but just as long as that leaves some room for additional pieces

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby doesn't strike me as a take the money and run guy. I think if GMBM is shrewd he can nab him for the low end of his comparable range as BH has thrived under Korn and will likely want to continue that relationship.

So who would be his comparables?

billcook

Apr 17, 2012
Holtby doesn't strike me as a take the money and run guy. I think if GMBM is shrewd he can nab him for the low end of his comparable range as BH has thrived under Korn and will likely want to continue that relationship.

So who would be his comparables?
Something between Steve Mason (3\4.1) and Corey Crawford (6\6).

I think it would 4 or 5 years for 5.5 million.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Getting Holtby signed for 5+ for next 4 seasons would be very good. Cheap as hell. And this will be till the moment Orpik's contract expires. Not that it's very important, GMBM could make it work with any other term too.

OVs Gold Chain*

Definitely a long-term deal after the string of goalies they went through to arrive at him, but Holtby strikes me as the type of guy who would take 1-1.5 less than market value for the sake of the team.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Would what happened with Jim Carey factor into things? Or is that ancient history and no relevance?

I think it should be considered.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Holtby is not a flash in the pan. He's been playing at high levels in the NHL for 5 years. Carey never had a yearly NHL save% above the .913 his first 28 games as a Cap and flamed out pretty quickly. His playoff stats were terrible. Holtby has been the opposite.

Not that worried about a collapse. More concerned about health but you never know. The best tend to want to play.

stanleycaps18

I cheer for laundry
Jul 10, 2003
Chocolate City
washcaps.com
Carey was like Mike Liut. Once the book was written, he became ineffective. The Caps sold high on him (and I was a huge fan of his). Holtby doesn't have those issues and has performed. I am hopeful that smart UFAs will realize that if they take a small discount, the sum of the whole will improve by leaving room for better additional pieces. I don't know if Holtby or others will think that way, but Ted has shown he will spend to the max under the cap.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Holtby is not a flash in the pan. He's been playing at high levels in the NHL for 5 years. Carey never had a yearly NHL save% above the .913 his first 28 games as a Cap and flamed out pretty quickly. His playoff stats were terrible. Holtby has been the opposite.

Not that worried about a collapse. More concerned about health but you never know. The best tend to want to play.

Good to read. My memory of the 90's is fuzzy at best, but I do remember being behind Carey as the future, then he was gone. Not ready to go all in on Holtby yet because of it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad