Rumor: Holmgren chose Luke Schenn over Yandle? Ouch.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
Another fabricated story that will be treated as fact to back up the anti-Holmgren bias...

Other reports from the time this was going on say the price was steep, but one comment from a hack years later is being taken as truth. JVR+, what's the plus? Read? Simmonds?

Yes... And IIRC most of the discussions at that time was about how Homer should not overpay and give up so much of the potential young core for him. Now rewritten history suggests Homer dropped the ball even more with his moving of JvR. Much ado about nothing at this point IMO.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
At the time of the trade, wasn't the general consensus that the Flyers needed more defensive D-men? Luke Schenn was that guy, Yandle wasn't. Right now the Flyers need more mobile D-men, but that wasn't the case when the trade was made. Hindsight is 20/20.

Patrick Division

Jan 13, 2008
NJ
121497d1381142340-restricted-mags-bs-meter.jpg

I'm going with this!! :help:

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
Taking into consideration JvR's past inconsistency and the more time it takes to have a D-man reach maturity, I would not at this time close the book and say that Toronto won the trade hands down... I would wait until their prime years with the teams are complete to decide on the outcome. That said, if JvR continues as he has this season and Luke doesn't step it up... it certainly will not have been a good deal for the Flyers.

JVR still kind of inconsistent. His production has trailed off over the past month or so (13 games)..and Luke's play has improved as of late.

Last 13 GAMES:

JVR:
2G 3A

LUKE SCHENN:
2G 2A

B SCHENN
3G 6A

3Fs

Sep 22, 2005
Western Pa.
At the time of the trade, wasn't the general consensus that the Flyers needed more defensive D-men? Luke Schenn was that guy, Yandle wasn't. Right now the Flyers need more mobile D-men, but that wasn't the case when the trade was made. Hindsight is 20/20.

Spot on!!

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia

My memory might be a little hazy but I thought at the time we had Coburn and Grossmann and were looking for a puck moving d-man to eventually replace Timonen...

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
My memory might be a little hazy but I thought at the time we had Coburn and Grossmann and were looking for a puck moving d-man to eventually replace Timonen...

I think your memory is more than a little hazy. Just go back to look at the trade thread when it happened. Aside from typical overreactions (at least one person calling it the worst trade in history), most people are talking about how the Flyers needed defense not offense.

I'd also like to note how happy many people were that getting Schenn meant Carle was on the way out. I don't have time now but I'd like to go back and look to see if those are the same people who have talked about the mistake of letting Carle walk.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1215313

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
I think your memory is more than a little hazy. Just go back to look at the trade thread when it happened. Aside from typical overreactions (at least one person calling it the worst trade in history), most people are talking about how the Flyers needed defense not offense.

I'd also like to note how happy many people were that getting Schenn meant Carle was on the way out. I don't have time now but I'd like to go back and look to see if those are the same people who have talked about the mistake of letting Carle walk.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1215313

I stand by my decision. I'm glad they let Carle walk and didn't give him that ridiculous amount of money.

I'm also fine with the way Schenn has been improving lately. I want to see him get a chance to develop.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
JVR still kind of inconsistent. His production has trailed off over the past month or so (13 games)..and Luke's play has improved as of late.

Last 13 GAMES:

JVR:
2G 3A

LUKE SCHENN:
2G 2A

B SCHENN
3G 6A

I'll still undo that trade any day of the week. G on a line with JvR would have easily sparked more offensive production.

Hindsight is always 20-20. Oh well.

Jun 13, 2010
New Jersey
Doesn't JVR play with Kadri and Kessel? I would've thought he could've lucked into a few more assists playing with Kessel

I think he plays with Bozak and Kessel, don't quote me on that, though. And I'm surprised to see JVR hasn't been putting up points over the past month because it seems every time I watch Leafs highlights he's scoring or setting up Kessel for goals.

Also, don't crucify me here guys, but I'd rather have Carle at this point than L. Schenn. I like Schenn and think he gets overly criticized, but Carle brought more to the table and the Flyers could use his puck moving ability.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I stand by my decision. I'm glad they let Carle walk and didn't give him that ridiculous amount of money.

I'm also fine with the way Schenn has been improving lately. I want to see him get a chance to develop.

Yeah I wasn't too broken up about Carle leaving. I wanted to re-sign him but not at the money he wanted. I just remember him being a total whipping boy, then when he leaves a lot of people were criticizing Homer for failing to sign him. It would be interesting to see if the same people complaining about Carle were also the ones complaining about Homer not re-signing him.

Also I have no problem with Schenn. He hasn't been great by any means, but like most things around here, his struggles have been exaggerated. This fan base screams about patience, but they don't appear to have any for Luke Schenn the ancient 24-year old.

JDinkalage Morgoone

U of South Flurrida
Oct 7, 2008
308 Negra Arroyo Ln.
Yeah I wasn't too broken up about Carle leaving. I wanted to re-sign him but not at the money he wanted. I just remember him being a total whipping boy, then when he leaves a lot of people were criticizing Homer for failing to sign him. It would be interesting to see if the same people complaining about Carle were also the ones complaining about Homer not re-signing him.

Also I have no problem with Schenn. He hasn't been great by any means, but like most things around here, his struggles have been exaggerated. This fan base screams about patience, but they don't appear to have any for Luke Schenn the ancient 24-year old.

That's the biggest problem for me. Preaching patience and *****ing about trading young guys, yet Schenn is an absolute dog. It's weird seeing his 5 years of NHL experience being used AGAINST him.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I think the argument nay be the flashes and potential JvR has and his getting off the blocks quickly and strong and the slow yet steady maturation of Luke... Add to that the fact that he was benched for a few games in favor of basically Hal Gill -- whether to send a message or have him watch fro above and rethink his play -- As I said before, D-men take longer to develop and their true worth doesn't really appear for a while on the D-side... And then JvR stars in the Winter Classic with a couple of goals with North America watching... People are looking at a supposed First Line Forward with game breaking/game potential opposed to a plodding hard hitting D-man with shutdown potential short of a top pair player.

I still say that if JvR reaches his potential and can take control of many games a season while looking like the Overall Number Two in the Draft and Luke becomes the solid hard hitting shutdown D-man he was obtained to be, the Flyers and Homer will be panned and thought to have been fleeced... Never mind the good chance that JvR may never have reached his consistency in O&B and Luke may never have been the player the Center of the Hockey Universe was hoping for... Never mind that reuniting the Schenn Brothers may have an important effect on Brayden... and never mind that the Flyers could afford to lose a quality Forward to obtain a solid hard hitting and steady stay at home D-man.

But in the end, as I see it, it will still be left for time to be the ultimate judge of this trade... and the best possible trade is one that gives both parties what they were after... And even then we may never know what would have been had both players stayed put, and if they both may have never reached their potential.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm sorry am I the only one who sees Luke Schenn as an average third pairing d-man? Even if he reaches his "potential" he'll be what? A hard hitting stay at home d-man? How is that worth 25 goal-50 point second line player?

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I'm sorry am I the only one who sees Luke Schenn as an average third pairing d-man? Even if he reaches his "potential" he'll be what? A hard hitting stay at home d-man? How is that worth 25 goal-50 point second line player?

:huh: Have you read these boards? Everybody would undo the trade in hindsight. Nobody is saying Luke Schenn is worth JVR at this point.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012

Pay attention. We all know that. No one disputes that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad