Movies: Hollywood sexual harassment ( Russell Brand facing multiple allegations)

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
So is everyone guilty until proven innocent? Can I do this against like .. Nicholas Cage so I don't have to see his movies anymore?

I'm not against wrongful people being fired, etc. But it just seems like acquisitions is all that's needed now for some of these.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Mach85

Mar 14, 2013
So is everyone guilty until proven innocent? Can I do this against like .. Nicholas Cage so I don't have to see his movies anymore?

I'm not against wrongful people being fired, etc. But it just seems like acquisitions is all that's needed now for some of these.

Which ones...?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Call me crazy, but in any of these instances where the "victim" doesn't so much as utter a word of negative response, I don't have any sympathy for them. How the hell is a man supposed to know the difference between a woman playing coy and legitimate rejection?

Now it isn't simply "no means no" but "playfully batting away advances and giving back and foot massages when asked and grabbing the perp's genitals in kind" counts as harassment 30+ years after the fact.

If you're uncomfortable about something, at least be clear about it. People aren't mindreaders.

StrangeVision

Wear a mask.
Apr 1, 2007
If only humans had developed some form of verbal communication. It would also help if humans were adept at reading physical cues. The combination of the two would be pretty great. Maybe we, as a society, could even learn what actions are appropriate at a given time!

Oh well.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
If only humans had developed some form of verbal communication. It would also help if humans were adept at reading physical cues. The combination of the two would be pretty great. Maybe we, as a society, could even learn what actions are appropriate at a given time!

Oh well.

The problem is that nonverbal physical cues are often as vague and open to interpretation as a European art house film, and emotions only cloud matters further. The word "no" is clear as day. If someone wants to deliver a clear message, the choice seems obvious.

Reactions: ThePhoenixx

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Call me crazy, but in any of these instances where the "victim" doesn't so much as utter a word of negative response, I don't have any sympathy for them. How the hell is a man supposed to know the difference between a woman playing coy and legitimate rejection?

Now it isn't simply "no means no" but "playfully batting away advances and giving back and foot massages when asked and grabbing the perp's genitals in kind" counts as harassment 30+ years after the fact.

If you're uncomfortable about something, at least be clear about it. People aren't mindreaders.
I agree. If people are coming forward years later to say, "he made me uncomfortable," when they didn't say that at the time, then that's not right, IMO. Guys are 1) expected to be forward, and 2) often not the best readers of non-verbal clues, and those two things often lead to guys being a bit inappropriate. It's not always intentional, though, and, even when it is, a guy should be given the chance to apologize right then and there. You shouldn't deny him that opportunity, bottle up the grievance and then seek a public apology from him years later. Men need to be respectful of women, but it's not a one-way street. Giving someone the opportunity to stop and apologize before you hold it against him forever is a form of respect, too.

Just about any of us men is capable of crossing a line once or twice. The difference between us and the creeps is that we want to apologize immediately if we're made aware that we've crossed a line so far that you're going to hold it against us. It's not fair to keep us in the dark and hit us with it in the future, especially embarrassing us and jeopardizing our career and/or reputation.

I'm not referring to any specific accusation and am not even sure that any so far echo this situation. I hope that none do, though I'm afraid that some may or may in the future. Ironically, while one of the purposes of all of this is to embolden women to speak up when the incidents happen, I'm afraid that it may encourage some to not speak up because they see how much of a weapon it can be at a later date.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I agree. If people are coming forward years later to say, "he made me uncomfortable," when they didn't say that at the time, then that's not right, IMO. Guys are 1) expected to be forward, and 2) often not the best readers of non-verbal clues, and those two things often lead to guys being a bit inappropriate. It's not always intentional, though, and, even when it is, a guy should be given the chance to apologize right then and there. You shouldn't deny him that opportunity, bottle up the grievance and then seek a public apology from him years later. Men need to be respectful of women, but it's not a one-way street. Giving someone the opportunity to stop and apologize before you hold it against him forever is a form of respect, too.

Just about any of us men is capable of crossing a line once or twice. The difference between us and the creeps is that we want to apologize immediately if we're made aware that we've crossed a line so far that you're going to hold it against us. It's not fair to keep us in the dark and hit us with it in the future, especially embarrassing us and jeopardizing our career and/or reputation.

I'm not referring to any specific accusation and am not even sure that any so far echo this situation. I hope that none do, though I'm afraid that some may or may in the future. Ironically, while one of the purposes of all of this is to embolden women to speak up when the incidents happen, I'm afraid that it may encourage some to not speak up because they see how much of a weapon it can be at a later date.

Absolutely, the bolded in particular.

The Franken and Hoffman accusations in particular bother me. Franken, because the things he did were either fairly innocent/minor or open to interpretation, and Hoffman because in the linked article there doesn't seem to be any indication that the accuser actually told him that she wasn't on board with what he was doing despite having plenty of opportunities to do so.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Well, there it is. I gave him the benefit of the doubt based on earlier accusations but there's no excusing that.

Yeah- one or two things I will question but as more stories come out from different woman and Hoffman more or less admitting some of what has come out is true? most are 20 years ago but that does not matter--makes me sad

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
This whole thing has really shrunk the amount of movies I will let myself watch now. What is wrong with these people?

Reactions: montreal

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
This whole thing has really shrunk the amount of movies I will let myself watch now. What is wrong with these people?

A great movie is a great movie and a great performance is a great performance. Separate the man from the art.

It's not like Hoffman's getting royalties every time you watch The Graduate.

Reactions: Amerika

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
A great movie is a great movie and a great performance is a great performance. Separate the man from the art.

It's not like Hoffman's getting royalties every time you watch The Graduate.
I can do that in sports easier than I can in film I guess. Just makes me uncomfortable.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I can do that in sports easier than I can in film I guess. Just makes me uncomfortable.

Comes down to personal preference in the end. It's easier if you consider that artists are often very complex/flawed human beings, and success often allows people to indulge their compulsions. I can't imagine film buffs refusing to watch Chinatown because of Polanski's transgressions.

Huggy43

Jan 13, 2016
Burnaby, BC
Maybe people shouldn't put their favourite entertainers on a pedestal? They are human afterall & do awful things.

It's funny how a public perception can be built up, Yoko Ono has done it quite nicely with John Lennon. The guy is a musical god in my mind but I also know he was a messed up person. He's seen in the as "Imagine" & "Peace & Love" guy but he did some shitty things. You know how Trump mocked the disabled reporter & everyone got on him? Lennon did that nightly to his audiences. Now you don't hear about that do you?

Moral of the story? Just because you're famous doesn't mean you can't have a dark side.

Reactions: Legionnaire

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012

The simple thing here is to assume the answer is "no" until you get a clear "yes", rather than "yes" until you get a clear "no".

Reactions: Mach85 and Amerika

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I've never been in a situation where I had to wonder to myself "did I have consent for that?".

My rule of thumb is that if you feel like you need to ask for consent then you almost certainly don't have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad