Speculation: Holl's next contract

Will the Leafs re-sign or let walk?

• Total voters

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Really hoping the Leafs finally permanently fix 1RHD and stop using ill-fitting bandaids like we have.
Kubina was maybe our last legit #2-3 RHD? Brodie and Hainsey were LHD who can play the right side, but I feel like it's been a LONG time since we've had a guy who could hold his stick right, and who was unquestionably a quality top 4 guy.

Holl, Franson, Liljegren, Komisarek, Schenn, Polak, etc have been our better RHD over the past ~15 years, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
we scored 24 goals in the 7 games last year that should be good enough to win the series. contrarily to popular belief offense wasn't the issue last year that 3.8 GF/GP was the 2nd best in the league, saying we needed a better offense is ridiculous, we scored 3+ goals in every game except game 7. so if our defense and goaltending which we were 19th in GA/GP was better we would have probably won the series. so to say we've lacked secondary scoring is pretty misleading and factually incorrect and the fix was not to give up a solid defended on the defensive side who plays 20 minutes a night for another goal scorer, and replacing him with a rookie
He did kind of sucked in game 7 tho

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
He's 31, he's gotta cash in before retiring.

Someone will give him something like 4 x 3.5

He's serviceable, but hopefully its not from Toronto.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
we scored 24 goals in the 7 games last year that should be good enough to win the series. contrarily to popular belief offense wasn't the issue last year that 3.8 GF/GP was the 2nd best in the league, saying we needed a better offense is ridiculous, we scored 3+ goals in every game except game 7. so if our defense and goaltending which we were 19th in GA/GP was better we would have probably won the series. so to say we've lacked secondary scoring is pretty misleading and factually incorrect and the fix was not to give up a solid defended on the defensive side who plays 20 minutes a night for another goal scorer, and replacing him with a rookie

It’s not factually incorrect at all.
We might have scored a bunch, but the secondary scoring did 100% let us down and was the difference in the series.

It’s not the only way a team can improve obviously to get over the hump, but it was a problem that our bottom 6 could not hold a candle to Tampa’s.

Also we scored a lot in the first half of the series. The second half was where the bottom 6 inadequacy really became more apparent.

banks

W W W 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16
Aug 29, 2019
He's 31, he's gotta cash in before retiring.

Someone will give him something like 4 x 3.5

He's serviceable, but hopefully its not from Toronto.

Yep. I don't know if he'll get a deal quite that rich. But Holl will be looking to cash in, you're right. This is his best chance for a payday he'll ever get. I figure he'll sign with the highest bidder.

Twine Tickler

Apr 5, 2010
Vancouver
Holl is a much better player then most will give credit for in our fanbase. Unfortunately I do believe he has just run his course with our club. I think it will be best for him and us to part ways at this point. Not sure what he will get in the open market, but he is a quality NHL defenseman and he will be more in demand then people think IMO

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Holl is a much better player then most will give credit for in our fanbase. Unfortunately I do believe he has just run his course with our club. I think it will be best for him and us to part ways at this point. Not sure what he will get in the open market, but he is a quality NHL defenseman and he will be more in demand then people think IMO
Why would it be best to part ways? Sounds like a player they would want to keep.

Carltons Cup

Let's Do This..
Feb 22, 2018
If Dubas does re-sign Holl, it should be for no more than $2.5-3M AAV.

There should also be a BOLDED clause in his contract that says Holl is not to play anything more than 3rd pairing.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Kubina was maybe our last legit #2-3 RHD? Brodie and Hainsey were LHD who can play the right side, but I feel like it's been a LONG time since we've had a guy who could hold his stick right, and who was unquestionably a quality top 4 guy.

Holl, Franson, Liljegren, Komisarek, Schenn, Polak, etc have been our better RHD over the past ~15 years, unless I'm forgetting someone.

Komisarek? He’s wasn’t a good leaf. Took a dumb penalty every game. I loved him as a Hab but it just never worked out as leaf.

The one guy I wish we kept was Cody Franson. He had all the tools to be Dougie Hamilton before Dougie Hamilton

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON
I don't see why he wouldn't get atleast what Tucker Poolman signed for last off-season. 4 years @ $2.5m per.

My guess is he goes to Washington for 3 years at $2.75m per or 4 years at $2.6m per.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Komisarek? He’s wasn’t a good leaf. Took a dumb penalty every game. I loved him as a Hab but it just never worked out as leaf.

The one guy I wish we kept was Cody Franson. He had all the tools to be Dougie Hamilton before Dougie Hamilton
Lol, that was sort of my point. We haven't had a legit quality RHD in 15+ years. We've literally been talking about it as a team need since we drafted Luke Schenn in the hopes that he'd fill the need.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
How much will this polarizing player get this summer?
Will the Leafs pay it or let him walk?

He will slightly more on the free market I reckon, between 2.75-$3.25m or so. Will Leafs be able to persuade him to stay?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad