Speculation: Holl's next contract

Will the Leafs re-sign or let walk?

• Total voters

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
He won't be back and probably should have moved him already
Why should they have moved him? He has value to the team and we're contending right now

If he walks it's not the end of the world, you honestly get more benefit keeping him as a 3rd pairing RHD for the rest of the season + playoffs

Reactions: Buds17

-DeMo-

Nov 12, 2006
Huntsville Ontario
I don't agree that it worked out. The Leafs have been desperate for secondary scorers in the playoffs the past few years. McCann would have been much more useful than Holl last playoffs. Could easily be the difference between losing to tampa and winning.

we scored 24 goals in the 7 games last year that should be good enough to win the series. contrarily to popular belief offense wasn't the issue last year that 3.8 GF/GP was the 2nd best in the league, saying we needed a better offense is ridiculous, we scored 3+ goals in every game except game 7. so if our defense and goaltending which we were 19th in GA/GP was better we would have probably won the series. so to say we've lacked secondary scoring is pretty misleading and factually incorrect and the fix was not to give up a solid defended on the defensive side who plays 20 minutes a night for another goal scorer, and replacing him with a rookie

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I don't agree that it worked out.
Of course it worked out. The objective of the trade was fulfilled, and our franchise-record pacing roster was protected from the expansion draft for next to nothing.
McCann would have been much more useful than Holl last playoffs. Could easily be the difference between losing to tampa and winning.
Not only is that not really true, but it's also not a one for one exchange. McCann costs more on his own, not even counting the player that would have had to have been acquired to replace Holl had we taken that path.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Why should they have moved him? He has value to the team and we're contending right now

If he walks it's not the end of the world, you honestly get more benefit keeping him as a 3rd pairing RHD for the rest of the season + playoffs
Because Keefe will probably end up benching him

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
A year from now, if Holl is gone, Leafs fans will be talking about how they need a 6'3" RD, who leads his team in hits (second to ZAR), team leader in blocked shots (second to Gio), is great on the PK, starts the heaviest D zone starts on the team, with good results. But I get it... Leafs fans need someone on the D to complain about, no matter how warranted it is. Overall, he does a pretty decent job for us, at a pretty low cap hit.

The hate seems misplaced.

It is very possible, even likely that we need all those things.

But you can get a player that does all of those things while also not having the ability to single handily lose games, case in point against Columbus earlier this season.

Even in the recent win against NJ, he was on the ice for all 3 goals, and directly caused AT LEAST 1 of them..

He took away a game tying goal from Tavares in game 7.

He's an idiot and needs to go.

You know who can do all the things you mentioned and isn't a moron?

Luke Schenn.

Luke Schenn can do everything Justin Holl does and isn't a mistake machine.

Reactions: Burkeocet

Azail

Oct 11, 2017
I don't believe our new GM next season will have any interest re-signing him with the intent of making the Leafs better. :wg:

Ever since our current GM:dunce: chose to protect Holl at the expense of and the loss of Jared McCann to Seattle in the expansion draft it makes my blood boil. :madfire:

I just want this whole nonsense behind us so the healing can begin, which begins with Holl's departure.

FWIW: Jared McCann since being lost because he foolishly wasn't protected has produced 58 goals and 100 points over the course of the last 2 seasons. That would look excellent in our line-up.

View attachment 665978
Jared McCann, the playoff warrior we need to finally turn it around:
1678492101132.png

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Dubas will give him that

Does that make sense ? He's basically 30 right? Liljegren and Brodie can both be extended and figure to feature pretty prominently moving forward.

McCabe-Brodie
Rielly-Liljegren
Gio-Timmins/Schenn
Timmins/Schenn

Mete is RFA too and a factor for 7th D

I'd personally keep Schenn for another 1-2 years, I just love everything he brings.

Liljegren just seems to have the yips since we brought in all the defenseman.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
We got the best out of Justin Holl. I still think he is a fairly capable defenseman that is unfairly scrutinized here. With that being said, I think the organization should go in a different direction.

Reactions: Dekes For Days

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
pretty good for an AHL D as some here would lead you to believe

View attachment 677610

The problem is, when he makes a mistake it tends to be catastrophic and loses them the game.

Case in point this season against Columbus where he was 100% responsible for 3 goals against.

Or game 7 last year where he took a goal away from Tavares, Morgan would go on to tie the game, but had Justin Holl not been an idiot eariler that would Have been a 2-1 goal, not a 1-1 goal and then who knows what happens.

The fact is no matter what stats you pull from your ass

The REAL results,the ones that matter, the ones that count say he does more bad than good.

He can does lose games by himself

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Perhaps I am missing something I still cannot figure out Dubas's strategy at the expansion draft. We lost McCann and Hallander in that transaction. On top of that we traded away Dermott. We could have exposed Kerfoot and Dermott. Our situation would have been far better.
They did expose Dermott.

They protected four forwards and four defensemen. Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin, and Holl were the four defensemen.

The only way they could have protected McCann was if they went the seven forward, three defensemen route. But that would likely have meant they would have protected Kerfoot as well. Engvall probably would have been the exposed forward.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
That Dubas who has Liljegren, McCabe, Giordano and Timmis for 5.3M altogether?

Come on, don't let your dubie hatie armie down, you can do better than that!
Huh? 3 x 3 would be a great deal. Would Holl not expect to get more than that on the open market?

Reactions: Anthrax442

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad