OT: Holland's worst blunder

What was Ken Holland's worst move as Detroit's GM?

• Total voters

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
All of the above, for certain.

For me that wasn't listed, was the over-panic 6 year extension of Jonathan Ericsson in 2013. Over the years between Ericsson & Lilja, I never quite figured out which defenseman was more useless, overall.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
IDK there was a real die-hard contingent defense following each moves as 'not that bad' and 'at least he is trying to win' steadfastly refusing to see the bigger picture and where this was going to end up. I don't think even the most pessimistic of us called becoming one of the worst rosters "in NHL history" but I personally wasn't surprised when it happened. I would say the biggest tool of the defender camp was to look at each move individually and be like oh it didn't do that much damage, or hey he got a few wins when he started rebuilding (like 7 years too late). The big picture was clear, and early on, but there was host of defenders and I enjoy the irony when those in that camp complain about how bad the team is currently still refusing to fully acknowledge the depths that this team sank to under Holland. Even if it was Illich giving ultimatums it's still Holland's legacy and we will never know for certain that is truly what happened because that is inner circle stuff. When Holland gets in the HOF the HOF will include a GM who built one of the worst rosters in NHL history.

I really don't get all these Yzerman is as conservative as Holland arguments. Yzerman would have been night and day just like he actually is now. I do wonder though if he would have stayed in the position if there truly was the ultimatum to prolong the streak. I don't think his continual improvement building style would have meshed with 'get in and anything can happen'. At any rate I doubt he resigns Helm or signs Neilsen, Cleary would have been off the roster and early, he probably signs Abby but for like 4 years, our drafting would have been better, promoted Nyquivst earlier, got better linemates for Datsyuk, did better than Colaiacovo/Quincey/Green, doesn't move Daytsuk's contract and we just eat it, probably executed half a dozen smaller moves upgrading players with younger and better versions, moves up in the draft instead of down.

I know there is a lot of agreeing to disagree and bygones be bygones over all of this but I still have some strong memories from those days.

I say this as one of the people who will throw in with a defense more than most... Holland is absolutely responsible for the depth we sunk to. However... but for Minnesota going balls to the f***ing wall (13 years, 196 to two guys who are now bought out and count for more than a Connor McDavid on Minnesota's cap for four or five more years), we get our 1D in Suter AND we're butted up even harder against the cap so things like the Cleary saga and the Abby contract don't happen.

And that was the reality of what happened with Holland. 90% of his individual moves WEREN'T that bad. However, you stack up a lot of ones that are not really that bad... and they get awful very quickly. Like the moves to get a defenseman in 2014. I could see why they didn't trade for Bouwmeester. I could see why they didn't trade for Phaneuf. I could see why going a lot more than 6mx2 that you offered Dan Boyle which he turned down may have been a bad idea.. But at the end of the day, your 2014 D "add" was bringing back Kyle Quincey at a higher contract. Each individual move (except for the signings of Abby and Helm which were just god awful) had its own logic where it kind of made sense to do or to avoid. But in totality, you had to do one of them. Doing nothing was the only choice you couldn't make... and Holland took that one too many times.

Reactions: DoMakc

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
Griping about Holland is a good reminder for me about the misplaced attachments I keep in life which I am trying harder to learn to let go of. That late-stage Wings decline happened to coincide with some hard times in my life and I think I attached some of my own suffering to the ailing plight of the streak. It may not come across well sometimes but I have been doing a lot of work to try and be a more chill person. I think this thread gave me flashbacks but in a good way to remind me to keep reaching for that inner chill. Thanks to everyone who's tolerated me over the years and gave me a vent in hard personal times, I wouldn't take it personally if I am still found on several ignore lists lolz. Anyway, totally fun read by a rich fan base full if passion, and I am mostly envious of those that found enjoyment through that streak because that was admittedly probably the right attitude to have.

Reactions: Bench and NotLeddy

Snuggs

Jun 24, 2018
I've got 3 really, but number 1 for sure is Hossa. Franzen over Hossa cost this team a Stanley cup. Fully believe that. The other two are the Justin Abdelkader contract, cause he never lived up to the dollars for one moment. Same thing with Stephen Weiss. Honestly could of taken both their contracts and given to a guy like

Frans Nielsen at least had a few seasons he played average hockey, below the contract value for sure but not as epically over paid as Abdelkader or Weiss: who I'm not sure even played for the Red Wings at all?

Those three moves and paying the wrong guys set the Red Wings back 2-5 years and cost a Stanley cup imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: NC Wings Phan

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
It makes me smile knowing I disliked nearly every one of these but the Hatcher signing and Hasek reunion the moment they were announced. I was neutral on Hossa but realized it was unlikely.

The Franzen vs Hossa thing shouldn’t even have been an issue anyways, should have just let Flip go

Last edited:
Reactions: NC Wings Phan

NC Wings Phan

LGW: gcom007
May 2, 2019
Charlotte, NC
Everything he did after the Hossa signing turned to shit. It's not one major blunder but an era of being ineffective and passive.

Yep, my vote is for Hossa as it was frankly a terrible decision to let a player like that go, and it symbolized the passive arrogance and misplaced loyalty that would come to define his final years as Wings GM. When I think of the downfall of the previous Red Wings, it began in 2009 with letting Hossa walk. What followed was a slow crawl to mediocrity and then the bottom of the barrel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad