Confirmed with Link: Holland to AZ for conditional pick

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
:laugh: yeah, that's a little over the top

I disagree. While Holland may not be a particularly dirty player...he's just as cheap as Cooke. Just like Cooke, Holland is constantly chirping or provocating after the whistle but is hiding when asked to stand his man. Just like Cooke he'd never even consider fighting the average NHL player. He's constantly looking to fight with rookies and smaller guys though in a way I haven't seen ever since Matt Cooke.

slv

Sep 19, 2012
astral
a new piece of wood for the old man.

nothing new here. we have seen this many times.

Last edited:

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I'm not sure who you think the Coyotes traded for but the player you are describing is not the Holland that played for the Leafs.
I disagree. While Holland may not be a particularly dirty player...he's just as cheap as Cooke. Just like Cooke, Holland is constantly chirping or provocating after the whistle but is hiding when asked to stand his man. Just like Cooke he'd never even consider fighting the average NHL player. He's constantly looking to fight with rookies and smaller guys though in a way I haven't seen ever since Matt Cooke.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Meh, I don't want Holland. Not even for free. Babcock is absolutely right...he's an AHL player. And he's cheap. Just a poor version of Andrew Shaw. Constantly chirping but backing down when it gets serious. All he does is trying to fight rookies or skilled guys. Just check his fighting card. Tells you everything about the guy. Pretty weak for a guy that provocates like Holland does.

I could be wrong but besides the fact that he obviously cannot play hockey at NHL-level I'm not convinced he's a guy you want on your team. He's gonna fire up your opponents but he's never gonna stand his man or stand up for a teammate.

Tell us more. Is hedone, like Vrbata, or did he never start? :D

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Holland is a fairly innocuous hockey player. He's a hell of a lot more like Taylor Pyatt than Matt Cooke, who he is nothing like. It's funny that poster mentioned Brendan Smith like he's a tough guy. He's exactly the same as Holland; he fights once or twice a year, almost exclusively against skill players, and he usually loses.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Holland is a fairly innocuous hockey player. He's a hell of a lot more like Taylor Pyatt than Matt Cooke, who he is nothing like. It's funny that poster mentioned Brendan Smith like he's a tough guy. He's exactly the same as Holland; he fights once or twice a year, almost exclusively against skill players, and he usually loses.

Sorry, but this is nonsense.

Brendan Smith is far from being a tough guy but he's one of Detroit's best fighters. It changed a bit with recent additions but Detroit used to have a pretty weak squad back then and Smith was easily their Nr.3 in the scrap department at that time. While it may be true that Smith isn't the best fighter of all time he still takes a lot of fighting lessons and wins most of his fights. While I agree with you that he's not actively looking to get a beating from bigger guys you still cannot compare him to Holland.
Holland is a provocator, Smith isn't known for stuff like that. Holland is constantly looking for weaker opponents to fight with, Smith's fights usually happen in affect, often to the defense of teammates. Holland would never ever consider to stick up for a teammate unless the guilty guy is really weak. In fact, I cannot remember him doing it even once. Finally, Holland would never take on guys like Chipchura, Foligno, Roussel or Neil like Smith has.

Sorry, but I just can't stand girls like Petra Holland. I really hope that Shane Doan will make a statement as soon as he arrives.
Fellow Swiss Nino Niederreiter used to be exactly like Holland and it surely didn't help that he had Cooke as a teammate back then. Luckily they finally got him to stop with his crap in Minnesota. If you wanna mix it up after the whistle or chirp your opponents that's fine with me. But if you do that, you have to be willing to face the consequences.
Holland is even worse as he's not just hiding from the big guys like a little girl but actively looking to go after the weak ones. It doesn't get any cheaper than that.

Last edited:

rt

May 13, 2004
Smith's NHL fights:

16-17: Sustr (3 fights in 7 years = non-fighter): Loss (acccording to hockeyfights.com)

15-16: JT Brown (small guy): Win

14-15: JT Brown(small): Win & Chipchura: win

13-14: Foligno: Draw & Panik (non-fighter): Loss

12-13: Acton: Draw & Neil (loss)

11-12: Derek MacKenzie(small): win & Bobby Ryan (skill player): win

10-11: Shaw: win (tempted to call "small" here but won't, he's a busy enough fighter)

rt

May 13, 2004
Wanna walk back from the "nonsense" call?

As far as "best fighters" Smiths wins are generally by a narrow majority, often under 40% of votes and usually rated under a 5 which generally signifies a boring fight with no effective punches landed.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Wanna walk back from the "nonsense" call?

Why would I? You posted it yourself. What's that in the end? 6-3 won? For a guy just fighting to defend himself or teammates that's more than decent if you consider the names he fought. Holland wouldn't even fight 50% of those names.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why would I? You posted it yourself. What's that in the end? 6-3 won? For a guy just fighting to defend himself or teammates that's more than decent if you consider the names he fought. Holland wouldn't even fight 50% of those names.

Which of those names are scary? Neil is a fighter. I'd maybe classify Chicphura as a middle weight. Shaw? Is Shaw an impressive opponent? The rest are smaller or skill players.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Haha. 9 bouts and 6 were against small/skilled players.

This is EXACTLY your criticism of Holland.

You're comparing apples and bananas. The toughtest player Holland fought at pro level (apart from Sestito long ago) is Max Domi. Tells you pretty much everything about the guy. He's also looking to fight weak guys and hiding from the big guys. Smith wouldn't do that...his fights happen in affect and to defend himself or teammates...something Holland would never do. Smith also isn't known for chirping or other cheap stuff so you cannot judge him for backing down from big guys. Holland does a lot of chirping and cheap stuff after the whistle but didn't back it up even once.

I hope his gonna change his behaviour rather quickly or I hope that Doan is gonna give him a facewash. Let's keep this team honest.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Which of those names are scary? Neil is a fighter. I'd maybe classify Chicphura as a middle weight. Shaw? Is Shaw an impressive opponent? The rest are smaller or skill players.

Ask Peter Holland to fight Nick Foligno, Antoine Roussel or Chris Neil. He wouldn't even fight most of the other names Smith took on. But I explained you the difference between those many times now and keep ignoring those facts. This discussion doesn't seem to lead anywhere so unless you're gonna read my posts or come up with new conclusions I'd suggest to leave it at that. We'll see how he does in Coyotes uniform. But I won't continue to follow this team if Holland continues the way he acted in Toronto. It's nothing but disgusting to behave like that...

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He beat Chip. Now I know why Tippett wanted him. That and even though rabbit can be real subtle... he looks like Dougie Hamilton?

No, he didn't. That was Smith. Holland would never take on a guy like Chipchura. Just watch his "fight" with Mantha. Holland is a complete joke.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Uuuh, am I?:D

Even for Leafs standarts, Holland is pretty cheap.
Took me 10 seconds to find his signature move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLL1dyQYwk

This is nothing but embarrassing. Had Abdelkader, Ericsson or Smith been on the ice, he would have been hiding behind Richard Panik. I can promise you that. He acted like a little girl everytime he had to stand his man against somebody that wasn't a rookie or smaller than him. Reminds me of Matt Cooke.

I really hesitate to take issue with the Coyotes fan on this board, because I am a Leafs fan and I don't want to be a troll, but this post is so nutty that I can't help but respond.

I do like Peter Holland very much and I hope that this will be his breakout year. He is a talented, inconsistent player who will either find another gear or fall out of the NHL entirely, and soon. I'm hoping that he figures it out in Arizona, and I've been following this thread to see what kind of reception he might get from Coyotes fans.

I am completely mystified by this chain of posts.

Peter Holland is not a dirty player. He is not a cheap player. He rarely fights and is not known as an instigator. He has never deliberately injured in another player, and is in no way comparable to Matt Cooke.

Over his brief NHL career, he has had only three regular season fights, and one in the preseason. His opponents were in order: Cedric Paquette (Tampa Bay) who has gone on to have eight fights in the past three years (twice as many as Holland); Anthony Mantha (Detroit) who in his 13 NHL games has not had any other fights, but at 6'5" is 4 inches taller than Holland; Max Domi (no introduction needed) who takes after his much beloved father and has had six fights in the past two years, with considerable success; and Aaron Ekblad (Florida), who has not fought before or since then but is a fairly strapping defenceman. I don't know what causes this poster to think that Holland "acts like a little girl" or only fights against players who are rookies are smaller than him.

Even if you view the preseason fight with Mantha posted in the link above, you will see another Leaf give a hard open ice check to a Red Wing in the Leafs end, followed by an up ice rush where a Red Wing charges Holland into the boards. 15 seconds into the video you would see that two Red Wings are fighting with one Leaf – Leo Komarov. At that point, Mantha appears headed into the fray as the third Wing on Komarov, but Holland intercepts him on behalf of his teammate and then has a fight that is in no way cowardly or mismatched.

I think this posters opinion of Peter Holland is not based in truth, and is merely a figment of his imagination.

Some Leafs fans, like myself, quite like Holland; others could care less for him because of his sometimes indifferent and sporadic play. None of us are too sad to see him go, because it simply wasn't working out here, even if we still see promise in the player.

However, I simply cannot imagine what would cause someone to hurl such unfounded insults at him as I have read by this poster in this thread.

I hope you will forgive my intrusion onto your board.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
[NHL][/NHL]
I really hesitate to take issue with the Coyotes fan on this board, because I am a Leafs fan and I don't want to be a troll, but this post is so nutty that I can't help but respond.

I do like Peter Holland very much and I hope that this will be his breakout year. He is a talented, inconsistent player who will either find another gear or fall out of the NHL entirely, and soon. I'm hoping that he figures it out in Arizona, and I've been following this thread to see what kind of reception he might get from Coyotes fans.

Peter Holland is not a dirty player. He is not a cheap player. He rarely fights and is not known as an instigator. He has never deliberately injured in another player, and is in no way comparable to Matt Cooke.

Over his brief NHL career, he has had only three regular season fights, and one in the preseason. His opponents were in order: Cedric Paquette (Tampa Bay) who has gone on to have eight fights in the past three years (twice as many as Holland); Anthony Mantha (Detroit) who in his 13 NHL games has not had any other fights, but at 6'5" is 4 inches taller than Holland; Max Domi (no introduction needed) who takes after his much beloved father and has had six fights in the past two years, with considerable success; and Aaron Ekblad (Florida), who has not fought before or since then but is a fairly strapping defenceman. I don't know what causes this poster to think that Holland "acts like a little girl" or only fights against players who are rookies are smaller than him.

Even if you view the preseason fight with Mantha posted in the link above, you will see another Leaf give a hard open ice check to a Red Wing in the Leafs end, followed by an up ice rush where a Red Wing charges Holland into the boards. 15 seconds into the video you would see that two Red Wings are fighting with one Leaf – Leo Komarov. At that point, Mantha appears headed into the fray as the third Wing on Komarov, but Holland intercepts him on behalf of his teammate and then has a fight that is in no way cowardly or mismatched.

I think this posters opinion of Peter Holland is not based in truth, and is merely a figment of his imagination.

Some Leafs fans, like myself, quite like Holland; others could care less for him because of his sometimes indifferent and sporadic play. None of us are too sad to see him go, because it simply wasn't working out here, even if we still see promise in the player.

However, I simply cannot imagine what would cause someone to hurl such unfounded insults at him as I have read by this poster in this thread.

I don't think many of us gave those posts much thought.

rt

May 13, 2004
Ask Peter Holland to fight Nick Foligno, Antoine Roussel or Chris Neil. He wouldn't even fight most of the other names Smith took on. But I explained you the difference between those many times now and keep ignoring those facts. This discussion doesn't seem to lead anywhere so unless you're gonna read my posts or come up with new conclusions I'd suggest to leave it at that. We'll see how he does in Coyotes uniform. But I won't continue to follow this team if Holland continues the way he acted in Toronto. It's nothing but disgusting to behave like that...

Your narrative has no basis in reality. Holland doesn't remotely resemble the player you are describing. He's nothing like that. You're as far off base as someone saying Doan plays like Pavel Bure.

He bullied Anthony Mantha once. Mantha is the bigger man and Holland stupidly thought he was the one who had taken a run at him. Whoopdeedoo. He also fought Domi. Max jumped Holland, not the other way around. He's had like two other fights in his NHL career. He's not Matt Cooke. He's nothing like that. You're take is so far out to lunch, that I'm guessing you're basing it 100% on four YouTube videos. Holland's problem isn't that he's some menacing bully. It's nearly the opposite. He can't keep his fire stoked and too often is lulled into long stretches of dispassionate play.

If I had to choose two words to describe him, he they'd be "Mostly Invisible".

That's a far cry from the fantasy you've described with "Dirty Villain".

The only reason I chimed in is because you're so completely wrong. I wouldn't have bothered if you'd said "I lost any respect for this player after the Mantha incident". I wouldn't blame you. But somehow morphing that into a fantasy where this player is some kind of career criminal on the ice just isn't reality.

rt

May 13, 2004

I appreciate it. Thank you.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014

I enjoyed reading your post. What do you see as Holland's upside?
Please give my best to Mindy.

rt

May 13, 2004
This is my post RE Holland back on the 4th of July:

"As for Holland, we don't need any more left wingers. We're all full. He does take some face-offs but he loses like 55% of the time. He doesn't throw very many hits. He fights about once a year but only against skill players and usually gets his ass handed to him. See; Domi, Max (2016). And yes he did have a career high in points last season with 27. However, 40% of those came on the PP."

Holland is fairly big and fairly athletic. As a result, he is willing to drop the gloves once every 60 or so games. He's not any good at it and should probably stop. He's not a cheap shot artist. He doesn't even throw many body checks. He's got an adequate enough amount of skill that if he plays on a lousy enough NHL team that he gets spoonfed PP time, he can pot some points. Probably because PP production isn't really based on high motor play and often doesn't require a whole lot of hockey sense.

Holland is just "a guy". He's not ferocious and he's not wreckless, he's not dirty, and he's not a heel. So far as I can tell there's really only one hockey fan in the world with a strong opinion on this very forgettable player. He garners attention only because he's a physically strapping forward, who's not yet old, and was once a high draft pick. Apart from Anthony Mantha, there's probably only one person in the world who views Peter Holland as sinister in any way.

He's a boring player that can eek out a little ice time on terrible teams, and is mostly living of his draft status.

He's Taylor Pyatt.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
This is my post RE Holland back on the 4th of July:

"As for Holland, we don't need any more left wingers. We're all full. He does take some face-offs but he loses like 55% of the time. He doesn't throw very many hits. He fights about once a year but only against skill players and usually gets his ass handed to him. See; Domi, Max (2016). And yes he did have a career high in points last season with 27. However, 40% of those came on the PP."

Holland is fairly big and fairly athletic. As a result, he is willing to drop the gloves once every 60 or so games. He's not any good at it and should probably stop. He's not a cheap shot artist. He doesn't even throw many body checks. He's got an adequate enough amount of skill that if he plays on a lousy enough NHL team that he gets spoonfed PP time, he can pot some points. Probably because PP production isn't really based on high motor play and often doesn't require a whole lot of hockey sense.

Holland is just "a guy". He's not ferocious and he's not wreckless, he's not dirty, and he's not a heel. So far as I can tell there's really only one hockey fan in the world with a strong opinion on this very forgettable player. He garners attention only because he's a physically strapping forward, who's not yet old, and was once a high draft pick. Apart from Anthony Mantha, there's probably only one person in the world who views Peter Holland as sinister in any way.

He's a boring player that can eek out a little ice time on terrible teams, and is mostly living of his draft status.

He's Taylor Pyatt.

We need the center. I'm fine with this for this year. Next year we should be good with centers with Dvorak, Strolls, Gaudet and Richardson.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad