Confirmed with Link: Holland to AZ for conditional pick

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
If it sends Gaudet back to Tucson or Martinook back to wing, I'll be happy. For all the complaints in the offseason about Maloney not spending money leading to his demise, they've been very Maloney-like.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

“There’s a lot of very skilled young players coming up through the Leafs organization right now and I just don’t think I fit with their plans. I’m just happy we both agreed upon that and we just went our separate ways.â€

Sounds about right.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Well, we beat out Vancouver's offer. AND we saved 50k or so by not going the waiver pickup route! Huzzah!
Like I said, I really liked him as a prospect. I'll hope he turns it around, but ...

Rayban*

Apr 21, 2013
Ottawa
You guys will be pleasantly surprised with this. Babcock just didn't like something about his game, he's skilled enough to be an NHL regular.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Ah different situation than bleakley then? His kind of compensation only triggers if he never gets signed at all, then re enters the draft?
Unsigned draft picks vs restricted free agents.

Draft 18 year old Cam Dineen from junior hockey and you own his NHL rights for 2 years, Clayton Keller goes to college and we hold his rights until his class graduates in 2020. If you lose your first round pick without signing him, you get 2nd round pick compensation (the 53 OA we got this year, Bleackley was COL's 2014 1st).

Section 8.3
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Once we draft Mike Stone, we own his rights for 7 professional seasons, so long as we meet certain conditions, spelled out in Section 10.2.a.ii (page 31) ... mandatory raises, etc. After a guy has played 7 pro seasons (NHL/AHL/ECHL) he is entitled to UFA status. Until then, the team has to make "qualifying offers" to the player. He's currently playing his 7th year (1 AHL 6 NHL). This is Tony Duclair's 3rd year, so he has to be qualified / extended this summer.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2097715

Qualifying offers are 1 season contracts with a minimum, CBA-defined raise. Marginal guys like Gaudet and Fournier play on those QO's. Better players like Murphy and Rieder will be given QO's, but will typically negotiate better, longer-term offers from the team. If a team chooses not to qualify a player, the team isn't obligated to employ them the next season, but the player immediately gets UFA rights. We didn't qualify Phillip Samuelsson and Brandon Shinnimin and Chris Thomas last summer, so they're free to go wherever.

Last edited:

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
Unsigned draft picks vs restricted free agents.

Draft 18 year old Cam Dineen from junior hockey and you own his NHL rights for 2 years, Clayton Keller goes to college and we hold his rights until his class graduates in 2020. If you lose your first round pick without signing him, you get 2nd round pick compensation (the 53 OA we got this year, Bleackley was COL's 2014 1st).

Section 8.3
http://www.nhl.com/nhl/en/v3/ext/CBA2012/NHL_NHLPA_2013_CBA.pdf

Once we draft Mike Stone, we own his rights for 7 professional seasons, so long as we meet certain conditions, spelled out in Section 10.2.a.ii (page 31) ... mandatory raises, etc. After a guy has played 7 pro seasons (NHL/AHL/ECHL) he is entitled to UFA status. Until then, the team has to make "qualifying offers" to the player. He's currently playing his 7th year (1 AHL 6 NHL). This is Tony Duclair's 3rd year, so he has to be qualified / extended this summer.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2097715

Qualifying offers are 1 season contracts with a minimum, CBA-defined raise. Marginal guys like Gaudet and Fournier play on those QO's. Better players like Murphy and Rieder will be given QO's, but will typically negotiate better, longer-term offers from the team. If a team chooses not to qualify a player, the team isn't obligated to employ them the next season, but the player immediately gets UFA rights. We didn't qualify Phillip Samuelsson and Brandon Shinnimin and Chris Thomas last summer, so they're free to go wherever.
Ah thanks ck. So worse case is he sucks and we don't resign him and lose nothing, best case he works out well and we give up a 6th.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Meh, I don't want Holland. Not even for free. Babcock is absolutely right...he's an AHL player. And he's cheap. Just a poor version of Andrew Shaw. Constantly chirping but backing down when it gets serious. All he does is trying to fight rookies or skilled guys. Just check his fighting card. Tells you everything about the guy. Pretty weak for a guy that provocates like Holland does.

I could be wrong but besides the fact that he obviously cannot play hockey at NHL-level I'm not convinced he's a guy you want on your team. He's gonna fire up your opponents but he's never gonna stand his man or stand up for a teammate.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Meh, I don't want Holland. Not even for free. Babcock is absolutely right...he's an AHL player. And he's cheap. Just a poor version of Andrew Shaw. Constantly chirping but backing down when it gets serious. All he does is trying to fight rookies or skilled guys. Just check his fighting card. Tells you everything about the guy. Pretty weak for a guy that talks that much bs.

I could be wrong but besides the fact that he obviously cannot play hockey at NHL-level I'm not convinced he's a guy you want on your team. He's gonna fire up your opponents but he's never gonna stand his man or stand up for a teammate.

I'm hoping that's just the stain of Toronto on him.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
He has played 8 games this year and was healthy scratch the rest. So this solves a problem for them, no doubt.

The Leafs like the the cap space, the contract spot and most of all the roster spot, without which they would have had to waive another player.

I'm a long-time Leafs fan and I reallly like Peter Holland. He's a very skilled player with good hockey sense, a level head and a good set of hands. However , he can look like a star one game and then disappear for long periods of time when you would never know he's on the ice.

I had hoped he would catch on with the Leafs but it just didn't happen.

He has all the skills he'll ever need if he can just remember to bring his toolbox to work every day.

A fresh start will do him good, He could be a real find for the Yotes.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
I would be surprised.
He's just useless. At least his contract will expire. Let's hope they're not dumb enough to give him a new contract.

Have you sen him play?

If not, you might keep an open mind.

He has the ability to pleasantly surprise you.

Leafs Nation wishes you and him all the best

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Meh, I don't want Holland. Not even for free. Babcock is absolutely right...he's an AHL player. And he's cheap. Just a poor version of Andrew Shaw. Constantly chirping but backing down when it gets serious. All he does is trying to fight rookies or skilled guys. Just check his fighting card. Tells you everything about the guy. Pretty weak for a guy that provocates like Holland does.

I think youve got the wrong number. You might be thinking of someone else.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think youve got the wrong number. You might be thinking of someone else.

Uuuh, am I?:D

Even for Leafs standarts, Holland is pretty cheap.
Took me 10 seconds to find his signature move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLL1dyQYwk

This is nothing but embarrassing. Had Abdelkader, Ericsson or Smith been on the ice, he would have been hiding behind Richard Panik. I can promise you that. He acted like a little girl everytime he had to stand his man against somebody that wasn't a rookie or smaller than him. Reminds me of Matt Cooke.

RABBIT

wasn’t gonna be a fan but Utalked me into it
4uAf0VK.jpg

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Uuuh, am I?:D

Even for Leafs standarts, Holland is pretty cheap.
Took me 10 seconds to find his signature move:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTLL1dyQYwk

This is nothing but embarrassing. Had Abdelkader, Ericsson or Smith been on the ice, he would have been hiding behind Richard Panik. I can promise you that. He acted like a little girl everytime he had to stand his man against somebody that wasn't a rookie or smaller than him. Reminds me of Matt Cooke.

Hes not a fighter

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hes not a fighter

No. But he acts like one...constantly chirping opponents. And he likes to go after rookies and the weak. The example I just posted isn't the only one. It's his signature move.

In this situation, Matt Cooke vol.2 is just about the last thing we need. The Yotes already got the problem of nobody sticking up for teammates. Besides White, young guys like Domi or Chychrun are about the only ones who show some life. Having another guy on the roster who's just hiding isn't gonna help all that much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad