GDT: Holland to address media at 11 AM

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Some insight rather than the plainly obvious. He did after all interview each player 3 days ago. Maybe offer up where he plans to improve, we need scoring wingers, goaltending, defence and a 3C. What are his priorities? What Oiler UFAs will be looking at resigning? What are his priorities heading into the draft? BPA? Forwards? I am not asking him to tip his hand but it is the atypical Oiler nonsense we are getting at the end of every year for the last 15 years.

I am sick and tired of this team not being honest with its fans and just f***ing around like blind men in a dark maze trying to find their way out and offering up only "We will try to do better next year" quotes.

Now we get 4 months of Stauffer polishing this complete turd of a hockey team like he does every goddam summer.

Am I pissed? Yes. This team pulled a massive no show in the playoffs and outside of 3 players, decided they only needed to play hard in the final 7 minutes before they were booted from the bubble. Gutless no heart no character team is what we have built that accepts losing as normal.
His priority is to get better. We have a bunch of holes, whichever ones he can fill he will fill.

And don't listen to Stauffer it's really that simple.

Reactions: Jarvi

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
The effort in the qualifying round was pretty suspect by most of the team, but what did people expect Holland to say? Can he promise sweeping roster changes to a team that has almost no cap flexibility (a situation that he inherited)? I'm positive that he's not satisfied with how the team performed, but it's better for him to say less and quietly cook up some potential moves to be made. Under-promise, over-deliver right?

Reactions: fresh meat

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
His priority is to get better. We have a bunch of holes, whichever ones he can fill he will fill.

And don't listen to Stauffer it's really that simple.
Of course this priority is to get better. That's every team on the face of the earth's priority

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think you over-rate the knowledge of the casual hockey fan. HF is comprised of die-hard fans for the most part, people who have watched thousands of hockey games in their lives and likely played it for large portions of their lives as well. My mom, who loves the Oilers and watches a decent amount of games (watched all the Hawks series), does not fit into that category.

Ask your mom if we scored double the goals the other qualifying teams scored but allowed more than double the goals every other team allowed what we should do about it. I bet defence and goaltending are pretty high on her list of improvements. Show your mom the final 7 minutes of Game 4 and then show - withMcDavid edited out - her the entire rest of the series and I am pretty sure she will say, why didn't the team play this hard the entire time?

This isnt rocket science. Its a pretty simple game when you boil it all down.

Reactions: Snipes45

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
The effort in the qualifying round was pretty suspect by most of the team, but what did people expect Holland to say? Can he promise sweeping roster changes to a team that has almost no cap flexibility (a situation that he inherited)? I'm positive that he's not satisfied with how the team performed, but it's better for him to say less and quietly cook up some potential moves to be made. Under-promise, over-deliver right?
If you aren't going to say anything of substance don't even show up to the mic or call a presser. It's a waste of everyone's time.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Ask your mom if we scored double the goals the other qualifying teams scored but allowed more than double the goals every other team allowed what we should do about it. I bet defence and goaltending are pretty high on her list of improvements. Show your mom the final 7 minutes of Game 4 and then show edit out McDavid and show her the entire series and I am pretty sure she will say, why didn't the team play this hard the entire time?

This isnt rocket science. Its a pretty simple game when you boil it all down.
Even remove the playin series. Look at the team. What were they good at? Special teams. What were they terrible at 5v5, especially defensively.

What else did they suck at? Caring about games that weren't against Calgary

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Of course this priority is to get better. That's every team on the face of the earth's priority
After the blueline the fans are split on what needs to be fixed, so I can see him having multiple priorities. People expect him to come out and say exactly what he's going to do? Most GM's don't even know what they are going to do at this point. Between flat cap and the covid issue it's going to be an off-season that no one has seen before.

Reactions: fresh meat

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
If you aren't going to say anything of substance don't even show up to the mic or call a presser. It's a waste of everyone's time.

Don't GMs of every team generally do this at the end of every season? I imagine he's smart enough to know that this presser will be received harshly by many die-hard fans, but it's probably something that he is expected to do.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
That reminds me, did the Bobbie Nicks audit to end all audits ever get completed? Not sure if I ever saw/heard of the tendered audit report along with noted observations and management's response to correct said deficiencies. I'm sure he got sideline by the pursuit of the bigger, better burger for Rogers that of course would take precedence on the importance scale. :)

Meaningful Oilers org changes. More salt on the fries, more *butter* on the popcorn, taller soft drinks at higher prices, and short the beer pours using smaller cups but charging more.

But step up and buy those new bear monogrammed jerseys. Buy 2, get third at regular price deal.

Reactions: brentashton

North

Jun 25, 2009
What exactly were you hoping he would say? there is no secret reason we sucked...everyone knows.

Exactly. I mean he’s saying exactly what was wrong. Goaltending, team d, AA wasn’t good enough. What else should he say and how should he say it?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Holland isnt going to promise big changes because for him it means trades. It wrecks your leverage to announce that big changes WILL be made. You have to say you're comfortable with the team. If you want big promises maybe we can bring MacT back

Reactions: ujju2

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Should Holland announce he needs to make big bold moves? Or should he announce he needs a good d man no matter the cost? Or should he just play it cool?
He could at least be like Jim Rutherford and say changes need to be made.

Not come out and say "we need to stay where we are at and just improve". That literally screams maybe they will move Russell our for Jones to save capspace so we can bring back this team next year. Maybe swap out Sheahan for a different 4c.

If we go into next season with pretty much this exact same roster but a couple bottom line guys changed, Holland failed this off season

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Cmon man. You cant be serious. The Oilers feed Stauffer information and he even says as much.
Sure, that's why I'm saying don't listen to him. Others get feed information as well that isn't sugar coated.

One only has to listen to Holland and Stauffer from a week ago to realize Stauffer tries to spin things. Holland himself was politically correct and put Stauffer in his place about Broberg.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
After the blueline the fans are split on what needs to be fixed, so I can see him having multiple priorities. People expect him to come out and say exactly what he's going to do? Most GM's don't even know what they are going to do at this point. Between flat cap and the covid issue it's going to be an off-season that no one has seen before.

Yeah, this isn’t MacT, Holland won’t be telegraphing moves or saying something unless there is certainty. That being said,
Reading between the lines I could see AA moved (or it’s part of his bargaining) and Jones taking a bigger spot. It probably means he’s pursuing a move of Russell for Jones to take his third pairing spot, smaller chance he moves one of Nurse or Klef to take his spot but I don’t see him making that big of a jump.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
And maybe he is saying good things. But of course the org promises a presser and then goes nah, just the media can have it to tweet about it.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Apparently if a trade is made it will be player for player with similar money. So no clearing cap space for a good guy. Just another Neal for Lucic type of deal.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Meaningful Oilers org changes. More salt on the fries, more *butter* on the popcorn, taller soft drinks at higher prices, and short the beer pours using smaller cups but charging more.

But step up and buy those new bear monogrammed jerseys. Buy 2, get third at regular price deal.

You know that is all fine, I can accept this is a business and they have tremendous costs to cover not helped by a low Canadian dollar. I have been to 22 other rinks and its the same or worse in every other market.

But like Tom Anselmi says, the product on the ice drives the rest and when that product has been substandard to the point of being historically worst, then as fans we cant be faulted for demanding more. This season we did not make the playoffs (thanks Bettman for your stupid idea) and as Holland said, were not ready to play Game 1. The effect spilled over into every other game outside of 7 minutes of the final game.

SO why is Holland not addressing why he thinks that is? Coaching? Leadership? Is there a character deficiency on this team? How about a comment on the players you pay to bring energy and emotion to the game, like Nurse, Kassian and Khaira? For f***s Sake, Yamamoto is the smallest player on the team and he was 10 times more engaged than our highest paid brain dead defencman.

There is a ton Holland could have addressed. But didn't.

I was a massive fan of the Holland and Tippett hires. I feel that the water in this town may be eroding their brains as much as it has everyone else who works for this laughing stock of a team.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Should Holland announce he needs to make big bold moves? Or should he announce he needs a good d man no matter the cost? Or should he just play it cool?
Its fine not to play your cards but at least be transparent about how you view your current team and the direction you see us moving

saying yes i was disappointed by early exit then saying general shit like Yamamoto and Jones really helped and our goaltending was good and we shall see what to do with our pending RFA is piss poor effort

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad