Helene St. James Holland (probably) Won't Re-Sign Quincey, Richards (before July 1st (if at all))

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
You guys are overanalyzing a bit.

They will be protected as first guys. They are our team leaders.

Why waste a protection spot on someone who doesn't need to be protected?

For example, Kronwall has 3 years remaining with a 4.8M cap hit. No one wants a terrible Kronwall on that contract. Given his play last year and his age you couldn't trade him and his full contract for a bag of pucks. And if they actually do take Kronwall with that contract, they'll be doing the Wings a huge favor.

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
If I were Holland I would have a long hard talk with Zetterberg and Kronwall. I don't think anyone would touch their contracts and I would be frank with them that for the future of the team you are going to be exposed and its unlikely anything would happen.

I would also expose Abby, no one is going to take that contract and if they do it would help the team in the long run.

Then just sit back and pray that Howard, and Erickson get taken.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
If I were Holland I would have a long hard talk with Zetterberg and Kronwall. I don't think anyone would touch their contracts and I would be frank with them that for the future of the team you are going to be exposed and its unlikely anything would happen.

I would also expose Abby, no one is going to take that contract and if they do it would help the team in the long run.

I hope that this is what happens. Otherwise, the Wings are just exposing two other players for no logical reason.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
No way will Nyquist ever score 40 goals, At best maybe between 30 to 33 at best and for one season.

Disagree completely.

He may hit a season where he hits 40. He's always been a playmaker clearly, but has developed a killer instinct when he his on his game. That of which has translated into more goals for him.

His issue is consistency. If he had the ability to play a non-streaky hockey he'd be a yearly 30-30 guy with a couple of 70P seasons, some of which he will have more goals than assists.

Then again, I'm biased because I think highly of him.

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan

Guaranteed Z, Kronwall and Abby get claimed, what team wouldn't want their leadership for what will be a young and no chemistry team? Abby's contract is not bad.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Disagree completely.

He may hit a season where he hits 40. He's always been a playmaker clearly, but has developed a killer instinct when he his on his game. That of which has translated into more goals for him.

His issue is consistency. If he had the ability to play a non-streaky hockey he'd be a yearly 30-30 guy with a couple of 70P seasons, some of which he will have more goals than assists.

Then again, I'm biased because I think highly of him.

When Detroit gets the #1 Power Play in the league then it's quite possible that Nyquist hits 40 goals. Same could be said about Tatar as well.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Guaranteed Z, Kronwall and Abby get claimed, what team wouldn't want their leadership for what will be a young and no chemistry team? Abby's contract is not bad.

First of all, Detroit can't lose 3 players. The max they can lose is 1 player per expansion team. There might not even be a 2nd expansion team. There won't be a third.

Second, there are going to be at least 450 players eligible to be drafted, and that's ignoring free agents and non-NHL roster contracts.

Third, some really mediocre players are going to have to be covered because of their NMCs, so that will expose some extra talent....

And yet considering all that, you think Zetterberg and Kronwall, who are going to be paid a collective $11M til they are 40/39 and who are already declining to the point of being support players, are going to be targets for an expansion team....because of their leadership?

Sorry, but there are going to plenty of secondary-type players who are chock full of leadership qualities who cost half the price of Z and Kronwall and are probably 5 years younger to boot. No one is going to touch Zetterberg and Kronwall, and if they do, consider it a blessing overall.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
First of all, Detroit can't lose 3 players. The max they can lose is 1 player per expansion team. There might not even be a 2nd expansion team. There won't be a third.

Second, there are going to be at least 450 players eligible to be drafted, and that's ignoring free agents and non-NHL roster contracts.

Third, some really mediocre players are going to have to be covered because of their NMCs, so that will expose some extra talent....

And yet considering all that, you think Zetterberg and Kronwall, who are going to be paid a collective $11M til they are 40/39 and who are already declining to the point of being support players, are going to be targets for an expansion team....because of their leadership?

Sorry, but there are going to plenty of secondary-type players who are chock full of leadership qualities who cost half the price of Z and Kronwall and are probably 5 years younger to boot. No one is going to touch Zetterberg and Kronwall, and if they do, consider it a blessing overall.

They will cause of money

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
They will cause of money

Yeah, cause there aren't going to be a boatload of players with high salaries who are younger, better contributors, and don't have to get paid for 2-4 more years, not to mention the glory that will be batting for free agents when you've got $40M in cap space. :rolleyes: Teams are definitely going to take the guys who are already old, injury prone, and carry contracts that are subject to recapture. Definitely. :sarcasm:

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
They will cause of money

I can promise you that money is exactly why they won't. Any new team will likely scarp by to make a profit at the cap floor their first season, with trying to secure advertising deals, less than lucrative TV deals, lower than more established team's ticket prices, and all the money that investors will have to drop just to get a city NHL team ready. This leads to a player like Z to be unlikely to be claimed.

And as for Kronwall, if he plays like he did last season, good riddance to bad rubbish.

waltdetroit

Jul 20, 2010
Would an expansion GM take the unprotected face of another team and sell him back for draft picks? I think it has been done before. Maybe even pre-arranged if a GM thought those players he was protecting were worth more than a draft pick.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Would an expansion GM take the unprotected face of another team and sell him back for draft picks? I think it has been done before. Maybe even pre-arranged if a GM thought those players he was protecting were worth more than a draft pick.

Yeah, that happened before and will very probably happen again.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
First of all, Detroit can't lose 3 players.

Point is to lose three players for a one great player. First thing is to strengthen the team and at same time do some nice juggling with the becoming draft.

You are gonna lose 1 player, but it has to be the right player. Ericsson or Howard.

Build the roster that in mind. In a perfect world, there can't be other more attractive players than them. Then expansion team is gonna take them to fill the cap floor. They will take some players to do only that, when there's nothing else available.

Be smart and build the roster that way.

Red Wings won't have any of those. Only full NMCs have to be protected and Wings have only partial. Datsyuk had the only full NMC.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Red Wings won't have any of those. Only full NMCs have to be protected and Wings have only partial. Datsyuk had the only full NMC.

He means the rest of the league will be forced to expose better players, thus the Wings crop is probably pretty safe.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Yeah, cause there aren't going to be a boatload of players with high salaries who are younger, better contributors, and don't have to get paid for 2-4 more years, not to mention the glory that will be batting for free agents when you've got $40M in cap space. :rolleyes: Teams are definitely going to take the guys who are already old, injury prone, and carry contracts that are subject to recapture. Definitely. :sarcasm:

I'm talking about jersey sales

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
I think there's a decent chance Zetterberg would be picked so I think he should be protected. Reason being that teams will be protecting their stars, so the expansion team will be composed primarily of castaways/supporting players. Now Zetterberg may not be a star anymore, but he still and likely always will carry that prestige with him. So while the expansion team may not have prime Zetterberg, they WILL have the actual Henrik Zetterberg, Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe winner, pulling on a #40 jersey for their new team.

Not saying it's guaranteed, just that I can see an expansion team thinking in that way. I'm not nearly as convinced of Zetterberg's safety from an expansion draft as some here.

I get annoyed with Ericsson/Abby/whoever contracts because I think the 'Wings lifer' arrangement is being thrown out there far too casually in recent years, but Zetterberg should without a doubt be one of those lifers. Even if his contract is less palatable in his later years. I mean, I just shake my head at those who are salivating at the prospect of shedding Z's contract just because he's slowed down. As if his past and current contributions don't measure up to the relatively minor inconvenience of his contract currently. His cap hit may be 6M, but that's not 6M of dead cap space. He's easily a 4.5M player today, he still thinks the game at an elite level, so we're only overpaying by 1.5M or so. And after all he's done, you're ready to just cast him off for 1.5M? Fairweather much?

Last edited:

sully6one

Unregistered User
Aug 6, 2011
Michigan
I think there's a decent chance Zetterberg would be picked so I think he should be protected. Reason being that teams will be protecting their stars, so the expansion team will be composed primarily of castaways/supporting players. Now Zetterberg may not be a star anymore, but he still and likely always will carry that prestige with him. So while the expansion team may not have prime Zetterberg, they WILL have the actual Henrik Zetterberg, Stanley Cup Champion and Conn Smythe winner, pulling on a #40 jersey for their new team.

Not saying it's guaranteed, just that I can see an expansion team thinking in that way. I'm not nearly as convinced of Zetterberg's safety from an expansion draft as some here.

I get annoyed with Ericsson/Abby/whoever contracts because I think the 'Wings lifer' arrangement is being thrown out there far too casually in recent years, but Zetterberg should without a doubt be one of those lifers. Even if his contract is less palatable in his later years. I mean, I just shake my head at those who are salivating at the prospect of shedding Z's contract just because he's slowed down. As if his past and current contributions don't measure up to the relatively minor inconvenience of his contract currently. His cap hit may be 6M, but that's not 6M of dead cap space. He's easily a 4.5M player today, he still thinks the game at an elite level, so we're only overpaying by 1.5M or so. And after all he's done, you're ready to just cast him off for 1.5M? Fairweather much?

Another reason LV would pick him up is because his cap hit is higher than his actual salary (or will be soon) so they save money that way.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Ya'll are crazy if you think Zetterberg will be left unprotected. Go outside and get some fresh air.

Ingvar

Jan 16, 2016
Moscow
Z gets claimed, retires, Detroit suffer years of recapture penalty. I could see a bet on leaving Kronner unprotected if we acquire high-impact D (protecting DDK/Green/new D), but not Zetterberg.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Thousand times thank you for this post! I would protect him all day every day. Without him, we don't have the 2008 Cup, and all the great times, us fans have gotten to witness during his time in Detroit. Seems like most here, have the throw a player under the bus attitude, as soon as a player slows down a little. Not only that, people are crying about his performance, yet I will take a 50 point center who plays defense, and achieved those points in a season where the entire team didn't score many goals.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Thousand times thank you for this post! I would protect him all day every day. Without him, we don't have the 2008 Cup, and all the great times, us fans have gotten to witness during his time in Detroit. Seems like most here, have the throw a player under the bus attitude, as soon as a player slows down a little. Not only that, people are crying about his performance, yet I will take a 50 point center who plays defense, and achieved those points in a season where the entire team didn't score many goals.

Plays defense? Zetterberg was terrible defensively (and offensively) last year.

And 50 points... who cares? That's a sad point total for a guy who played the big minutes he did with the offense funneling through him at all times.

Last edited:

njx9

Feb 1, 2016
Z gets claimed, retires, Detroit suffer years of recapture penalty. I could see a bet on leaving Kronner unprotected if we acquire high-impact D (protecting DDK/Green/new D), but not Zetterberg.

Exactly, I think, ignoring anything else, Z has to be protected to avoid recapture if he did get picked (no matter how small a chance you think that is).

Kronwall, whatever, it's not like we're in any real danger of exposing a talented D, no matter what we do there.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I would dance for joy if either Zetterberg or Kronwall got picked by an expansion team. Detroit is long overdue to stop overpaying guys for what they USED to do, and start treating the rebuild seriously. Protect your best young players, and anybody you could still get good trade value for, and if the new team on the block does you a favor by volunteering to take one of your several bad contacts, then celebrate and move on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad