Post-Game Talk: Holland > Nill

vladdy16

Aug 2, 2005
I think there's some obvious middle ground. Hudler was never used as a forward on the PP and many nights he was playing as a 12th/13th forward just trying to stay in the lineup. Hudler is not an A player and never would've been, but he had the chance to develop into a premier B player and wasn't given the chance because of neutral zone skating and defensive zone face-offs. Being a winger on a team with some of the best defensive forwards in the game, I thought those were minor flaws, not watch from the press box or pack your bags twice flaws.

I don't believe playing in the top 6 was a condition for hudler. It hasn't been in calgary.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Firstly I think the coaches and/or management wavered on hudler and filppula way too much for way too long, and that was the main factor in making it more difficult to retain those players than say kronwall. To me it was obvious that those two filled a generation gap in our organization, and in today's NHL you're better off building with what you have, than turning to the scrap heap. Even 2 years removed from Hudler's departure, cap space isn't an issue, but indecisive roster space is.

To answer your question directly though, yes I'd gladly pay 4m for the unique skillset Hudler brings, and leave it to my coach to hide his weaknesses. I'd even make a Quincey deal to bring him back. Being a plus player on the worst team in the league is no small feat, and being a productive player, playing with 18 year olds isn't either.

There's nothing wrong with a 3rd line being a scoring line, and I think ice time is more about putting a player in a position to succeed and do what he does best, rather than how he ranks in total minutes.

If I knew we weren't going to immediately move Nyquist or Tatar into Hudler's spot, I'd have been more likely to lobby to keep Hudler. I hate the way Holland has bagged vet after vet, and clogged our roster with mediocre players. I don't really blame him for some deals not working out (I don't care what anyone says, no one could rightfully expect Q or Sammy to be this bad, or for Tootoo not to fit as drastically as he doesn't), but those deals would be less of an issue if we had wiggle room from also not having Cleary, Eaves, Bert, and Miller around. I'm fine with signing Tootoo and sammy, but let a couple of other guys go in the process and promote the kids who show they're ready.

I'm with you in wanting a scoring third line. It's one of the reasons I keep wanting to go after centers in the offseason, or seeing Jarnkrok have a big year in GR.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I am not sure Hudler would get the same production on this team (or any good team). But Hudler's and Filppula's production combined with the situation of Tatar and Nyquist and Cleary makes scratch your head and wonder what Babcock is doing with good players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad