Post-Game Talk: Holland > Nill

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Howard helped win us a game.

Dallas has a lot of work to do yet in their rebuild.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Nice to see Howard playing well, even if it was only one game. Hopefully he will turn a corner and get back to his usual consistent (excellent) form.

tired eyes

Nov 12, 2010
Oddly enough, the Wings are 6-2-0 without Datsyuk. And 2-5-4 in the 11 games he played after returning from concussion.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Zetterberg played 1:30 more than Cleary.

Discuss.

I was wrong. I thought Clears would play 18+ mins. I'll take a lap.

Howard won this game. Hopefully he can play this well considering the onslaught that's coming in the next few games. Need Datsyuk, Helm and Mule back ASAP. The D was pretty good. Marcenko was solid after after some shaky play early.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could that Olympic election really refresh Howard's mind and now he is just mentally back?

He was rock solid, just what we need.

Just a great example of life, how someone could respond, when you give him trust. Even though he has been very far from his normal self.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Mentioned this in the GDT but I hope we don't get sucked into this trap.

Last year for 40 regular season games, Cleary was absolutely atrocious. Then he had a decent playoffs where he looked decent for 14 games. They chose to bring him back and specifically cited the way he played in the playoffs as a reason why.

Now after 30-40 games or so he's having another 5-10 game stretch where he looks like a decent player.

But this isn't enough to bring him back. Guy shows up for 10 games every 50 games.

I hope management is wise enough to see his body is broken down 90% of the time and hurts the team battling through all of his injuries all the time.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If that's what it takes to motivate Howard, 5/6 of his contract is going to suck hard.

Nope, think it again. Maybe he was pressuring himself about the election, because season was not going strong.

There's no election in every year so that pressure isn't there every year. And he doesn't have to have that pressure anymore, if they trust him no matter how bad he has been short-term.

Now he has confidence again.

f1seb

Apr 7, 2007
SoupGuru asked me in the GDT if Cleary has done anything wrong and that got locked before I could respond.

So yeah before his assist he did these things wrong:

His PP unit was on the ice when they conceded the short handed goal.
He also took a stupid penalty to negate the power play.

So Cleary ended up with 17:10 of ice time only behind Zetterberg and Alfredsson. Tatar had a goal early on and the poor guy only ends up with 10:46. Maybe a year ago I would've seen it as a bit too much with the Cleary hate but it's so aggrevating watching that old guy fumbling around on the ice, get constantly stripped of the puck in the offensive zone, not scoring, taking stupid penalties, I can keep going and going. Seems like the worse you play the more ice time you get. This insanity has got to stop.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Could that Olympic election really refresh Howard's mind and now he is just mentally back?

He was rock solid, just what we need.

Just a great example of life, how someone could respond, when you give him trust. Even though he has been very far from his normal self.

I'll keep pounding this drum, as I did before, but when you have a proven starter you just keep playing him. Particularly if that starter has a 6 year contract in front of him... :laugh:

We've all watched Jimmy play over 250 games. We know what we have. And he's rebounded from every single slump he's had and most games he gives the team a chance to win. That's how it's going to play out until further notice.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Mentioned this in the GDT but I hope we don't get sucked into this trap.

Last year for 40 regular season games, Cleary had a decent playoffs where he looked better.
They chose to bring him back and specifically cited the way he played in the playoffs as a reason why.

Now after 30-40 games or so he's having another 5-10 game stretch where he looks like a decent player.

But this isn't enough to bring him back. Guy shows up for 10 games every 50 games.

I hope management is wise enough to see his body is broken down 90% of the time and hurts the team battling through all of his injuries all the time.

I'm not gonna disagree that much since we won tonight. He still has had major flaws. ie turnovers, losing battles and getting knocked around. But he's been good on the PK. But when you consider how much he plays, is paid and over whom he plays over it's not good enough to warrant it. Just my opinion. He's still doesn't belong out there.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll keep pounding this drum, as I did before, but when you have a proven starter you just keep playing him. Particularly if that starter has a 6 year contract in front of him... :laugh:

We've all watched Jimmy play over 250 games. We know what we have. And he's rebounded from every single slump he's had and most games he gives the team a chance to win. That's how it's going to play out until further notice.

Yeah, it just looks weird at this time, because his best game of the season comes instantly after the Olympic election and he has been struggling before that badly. :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad