Holland is a Cap Magician

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
That entire article was a joke. And trust me when I tell you, that's putting it lightly.

Should have just saved yourself some time and condensed the article into one sentence. "Ken Holland is infallible."

The magician who wasn't able to play his best players.

I would rather have Gob Bluth managing the Wings.

I really hope you weren't being serious and I missed the joke.

Last edited:

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
All these cap tricks are mostly work of Ryan Martin than Holland.

Is it not part of his job to build the best possible staff and knowing how and what to delegate to others?

I know a lot of our views here are divided on Holland but according to most here Holland shouldn't get credit for the draft picks, that was Nill, and now he shouldn't get credit for his cap management that it was all Martin?

What does he get credit for then all the negative things? Good managers are able to properly delegate work so they can get the most out of their staff.

BF3

Boom Roasted.
Dec 30, 2011
Cbus
Holland was fine until he brought back Cleary.

And I don't want Holland wasting time on mastering the cap, he delegates that stuff and then they figure it out and tell him what to do. Unfortunately, that meant Nyquist in the AHL.

Again, Cleary.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Holland makes an absolute mess of the roster, then finds a way to get his cluster-**** roster full of vets under the cap and you write an article commeding him????

Pay attention to what's going on man.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
They've done well with the cap but I argue that don't have the best possible roster for the money.

Probably not, but just fitting all of the pieces together without having to make any desperation moves (yet) is commendable. And quotes from Babcock after the Phoenix game seem to point to change coming in some form.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
This is like praising someone who can keep their bank account at zero at the end of the month without going negative.

GJ I guess.

He has not planned well enough to play his young budding stars. This is his fault.

We can debate all we want how good they will be... but they need to be played or traded.

bababooeyII

May 28, 2013
Is it not part of his job to build the best possible staff and knowing how and what to delegate to others?

I know a lot of our views here are divided on Holland but according to most here Holland shouldn't get credit for the draft picks, that was Nill, and now he shouldn't get credit for his cap management that it was all Martin?

What does he get credit for then all the negative things? Good managers are able to properly delegate work so they can get the most out of their staff.

I might agree with you if Holland was allowed any culpability but he is never at fault. The local media and fans are harder on Dave Dombrowski and Jim Leyland then they are Ken Holland. The fans are always calling for the head of Mike Babcock after every loss but Hollland skates by without a scratch. The local media, and the blog writers are all Holland fanboys and girls and he is considered infalliable by the media in this town. It is only on this board where people dare to question his "genius". I happen to think the guy is the most over rated GM in all of sports. So in summation, Holland gets all the kudos in the press and fans when the Wings are winning, Mike Babcock, Dan Cleary and Johan Franzen take the hits when things go south. So Holland gets too much credit and not enough blame the way I see it

Last edited:

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
The magician who wasn't able to play his best players.

I would rather have Gob Bluth managing the Wings.

:laugh: Me too, buddy, me too.

I'd love the first presser of the season:

"Folks, here are your 2013-2014 Detroit Red Wings... Solid as a rock!!"

"And yes, I ****** the business model."

Last edited:

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
Hey guys I'm going to turn the roster into a giant cluster**** and then rely on injuries and wasting our best young player in the minors. I is a wizard!

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
:laugh: Me too, buddy, me too.

I'd love the first presser of the season:

"Folks, here are your 2013-1014 Detroit Red Wings... Solid as a rock!!"

"And yes, I ****** the business model."

I suggested an Arrested Development theme in the avatar thread. You've just given me a few more ideas. I don't care if we voted for something else, I'm making these.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
An HF partner thinking he is going to give us a nice little article to make us feel good, having no idea how upset most of the fan-base is with this "roster/cap manipulation" and what it has done to the quality of the lineup. But that is the reality. It's kind of like I wonder what the other Atlantic teams think when our thread of do you trust Holland and Babcock rolls by. These are fair questions for people that follow this team day in and day out, but my guess is not a lot of neutral fans or writers understand why they need to be asked.

But yeah like the rest of you I am not impressed with burying the guys we have, and signing some of the guys back we didn't have to. He has really jumbled the space we have, we have a bunch again this off-season but I shouldn't dare dream that is heading towards something that will make me happy.

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
I don't think that's accurate, ZE. Going from the line about 'a hissy fit' I think the writer is pretty aware. Seems like a troll article to me looking for hits.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don't think that's accurate, ZE. Going from the line about 'a hissy fit' I think the writer is pretty aware. Seems like a troll article to me looking for hits.

To be honest I didn't open it because I flat out disagree with the title. I have always been a Holland guy, but even my faith has been completely rocked with the Cleary signing.

My general point was most teams have something posted where they are singing praise around parts of their team and probably expect a somewhat positive response. I don't think people understand why we are so upset in terms of the rest of the league, and it is completely warranted with some of their late off-season and pre-season roster moves when setting up this team and the lines. I don't want to hear about magic, we aren't icing even close to the best team we can and that flat out stinks.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
I suggested an Arrested Development theme in the avatar thread. You've just given me a few more ideas. I don't care if we voted for something else, I'm making these.

Dude, you're in my wheelhouse now with AD! :D

Tbh, it's far more entertaining to think of AD themed avatars than watching our bottom 6 play and hope to God that Babcock sobers up from his multiple-season long bender and makes some changes.

I'm on board w/ this project completely, have a few ideas for you if you can pull them off.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad