Post-Game Talk: Holland dithers, Oilers lose

Most to blame for the loss?

• Total voters

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I saw something on the "Oiler Fanatic" today that said the Oilers are trying to sign JP to an extension. Did I dream this?

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Love to see all the posts about how Rangers had a ton of chances they should have scored on, but fail to mention the oiler posts they hit and the saves the goalie made.

Oilers played a terrible 3rd, but had their chances including Foegle missing an empty net late.
Rangers hit posts too. The Rangers that were getting stoned in the game were their top scorers who were along for the ride. The Oilers two posts come from yama, and Foegele, not exactly notable scorers. The reaction I NEVER have is "I can't believe Foegele or Yams didn't cash that" Guys like Krieder, Zed, Panarin, Chytil, Vesey were getting stoned on dead sexy plays that were well worked to WIDE OPEN man. Chytil even had all day to pick a spot. All he had to do was lift the puck.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Love to see all the posts about how Rangers had a ton of chances they should have scored on, but fail to mention the oiler posts they hit and the saves the goalie made.

Oilers played a terrible 3rd, but had their chances including Foegle missing an empty net late.
So, did you think our goalie is the one who let us down? And do you think the Oilers outplayed the Rangers and deserved to win?

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Rangers hit posts too. The Rangers that were getting stoned in the game were their top scorers who were along for the ride. The Oilers two posts come from yama, and Foegele, not exactly notable scorers. The reaction I NEVER have is "I can't believe Foegele or Yams didn't cash that" Guys like Krieder, Zed, Panarin, Chytil, Vesey were getting stoned on dead sexy plays that were well worked to WIDE OPEN man. Chytil even had all day to pick a spot. All he had to do was lift the puck.
Rangers hit one post which was on the same powerplay after the 5-3 goal. Not to mention the refs gifted the Rangers a 5-3 powerplay to tie the game after missing the blatant penalty on Mcdavid like a minute before that.

So, did you think our goalie is the one who let us down? And do you think the Oilers outplayed the Rangers and deserved to win?
Campbell is the only reason we got a point. Just saying it's not all doom and gloom as people say. Oilers did play like shit in the 3rd.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Rangers hit one post which was on the same powerplay after the 5-3 goal. Not to mention the refs gifted the Rangers a 5-3 powerplay to tie the game after missing the blatant penalty on Mcdavid like a minute before that.

Campbell is the only reason we got a point. Just saying it's not all doom and gloom as people say. Oilers did play like shit in the 3rd.
Speaking of missed penalties, the Oilers got away with one when someone took down Zebanijed right before he got frustrated by the missed call and tripped McDavid. So, stuff like that happens both ways.

I'm not one of the ones saying doom and gloom. But there is no arguing this team has been struggling for a while.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
Speaking of missed penalties, the Oilers got away with one when someone took down Zebanijed right before he got frustrated by the missed call and tripped McDavid. So, stuff like that happens both ways.

I'm not one of the ones saying doom and gloom. But there is no arguing this team has been struggling for a while.
Agree, they have been struggling since all star game. Seems like teams have been hard pinching their defence against us and it's caused havoc.

Reactions: Oilhawks

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
I NEVER felt comfortable with that lead. Campbell had already made some incredible saves, and the Oilers also got lucky on a few other instances. For the most part, after the short lived splurge in the first period, the Rangers took control of this game by the throat, and the result was really inevitable, unless they ran into a raft of really bad luck.
I wasn't fooled by the 4-1 lead either.

When you have that many defensive break downs its only a matter of time before any team, never mind a good one--is going to cash in. It could easily have been 3-3 instead of 3-0 after the first period.

As has been the case for a long time, there doesn't seem to be much of a defensive system in place. Guys don't seem to be well positioned or understand their defensive responsibilities and back checking is often a problem.

One play I should mention is Nuge's knockdown of a pass that was probably in the Oiler's net in the OT session.

Hard to believe some of the shooters that the coaching staff used in OT-- a real head scratcher.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

meh. Rangers barely missed net or scraped goal on other shots. They had better looks in the game, played a better game, and they were better in facets of the game. Rangers were slightly better than Oil in first, were markedly better in 2nd, and completely owned the 3rd period.

In anycase as many have mentioned sqaundering two 3 goal leads in a home game, and deserving to lose, its not a great look.

I wasn't fooled by the 4-1 lead either.

When you have that many defensive break downs its only a matter of time before any team, never mind a good one--is going to cash in. It could easily have been 3-3 instead of 3-0 after the first period.

As has been the case for a long time, there doesn't seem to be much of a defensive system in place. Guys don't seem to be well positioned or understand their defensive responsibilities and back checking is often a problem.

One play I should mention is Nuge's knockdown of a pass that was probably in the Oiler's net in the OT session.

Hard to believe some of the shooters that the coaching staff used in OT-- a real head scratcher.
Nuge was also the one that gave the puck away. But I liked his urgency in recovering from the miscue. But yep. The Rangers were generating the looks they wanted pretty much all game. Much of it looking as if it was Ranger PP.

Our D system involved staring at the play and making sure to not touch anybody in sight. Rangers should have taken more pucks to the net. There wasn't much defending going on around there.

Keggatron

Nov 15, 2008
First game I've been to in five years. And if I hadn't already bought tickets for Tuesday it would be my last. How people don't riot from that reffing is ridiculous. League is rigged. Redirection considered shooting it over the glass to give them a 5 on 3 with 7 minutes left give me a f***ing break.

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
On the plus side, Campbell is really starting to grow on me. He's similar to Smith in how when he's on, he's on and when he's off, he's really off and there's not much in-between. Glad to see he's found his confidence lately.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't understand why this tea always sits back after a 2 or more goal lead and tries to hold the lead. They should be doing what got them the lead and go for the blowout. This team isn't built to hold a 1 goal lead for multiple periods.
I agree. When the Oilers are playing high-attack, they're good. When they try to lock it down, they suck.

The problem is, there's a fine line between "high-attack with responsible, basic defense" and "high-attack with absolutely no defense at all", and they still struggle to find that balance. Teams with less talent have it easier, in a way, because they just play responsible defence.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Agree, they have been struggling since all star game. Seems like teams have been hard pinching their defence against us and it's caused havoc.
I see that too, nearly every game, and it just doesn't seem we have an adjustment in place for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad