Post-Game Talk: Holland dithers, Oilers lose

Most to blame for the loss?

• Total voters

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Well, at least we're not collecting a bunch of pathetic Bettman loser points like the idiot team to the south of us.:sarcasm:;)

439381c7f9ea4704ebe3a0dd3c010669.gif

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't like it when people pin 'bad defense' on the six D men. All five players on the ice are responsible to get the puck or help move the puck forward when we don't have possession.
D is about puck possession as well. The Rangers continually showed an interest in advancing puck and then establishing pressure and cycling once they got puck in ownzone. Often their puck movement resembled a PP throwing the puck around beautifully. Rangers had the puck on a string and showing skill. They of course also created openings with this. The Oilers were hampered as the stacked line of McD, Hyman, Nuge wasn't good on the night in EV, and Drai was playing with Kane and Yammo. Drai was playing with two players that couldn't even handle the puck or take a pass. There was no cycle going on there. The line was poorly suited to it as well. Meanwhile we just ditched Holloway again who can cycle a puck and work with talent. But we hardly ever give him that opportunity.

The entire 3rd period we barely had the puck and we had 1 SOG through the first 17mins of the period.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Rangers are one of the best teams in the league since January 1st.
It speaks though to there not being any elite NHL teams. Rangers give up a lot of scoring chances and did in this game. They're so up and down anytime I see the Rangers. Streaky club with streaky scorers. Still, very entertaining game and it was a must watch game. Seems like all the Oil Rangers tilts are.

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Sometimes I think woody is more arrogant and stubborn than his personality projects.

I do wonder if he was super freaking annoyed about Vinny having to go down….

I would disagree. I think Woody is exactly as arrogant and stubborn as he shows himself in his press avails.

Woody caught lightning in a bottle last year. He might be pissing it away this season. The Oilers look like a playoff team at this point. But four losses in their last five games should wipe the smirk off Woody's face. It won't because the arrogance and stubbornness are signs of someone who can do no wrong and is hesitant to change his ways.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
I don't understand why this tea always sits back after a 2 or more goal lead and tries to hold the lead. They should be doing what got them the lead and go for the blowout. This team isn't built to hold a 1 goal lead for multiple periods.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I would disagree. I think Woody is exactly as arrogant and stubborn as he shows himself in his press avails.

Woody caught lightning in a bottle last year. He might be pissing it away this season. The Oilers look like a playoff team at this point. But four losses in their last five games should wipe the smirk off Woody's face. It won't because the arrogance and stubbornness are signs of someone who can do no wrong and is hesitant to change his ways.
You can tell he’s upset by watching him on the bench.

Who cares if he smiles in a presser ? Or do you prefer the throwing players under the bus method? That was sure popular here when Tippett did it.

Reactions: ujju2

Harry Curry

Oct 10, 2022
Who cares if he smiles in a presser ? Or do you prefer the throwing players under the bus method? That was sure popular here when Tippett did it.

I'd prefer the he answer the questions posed to him in the pressers. Or just say the he would prefer not answer.

Instead he gives crappy teenager like answers such as "do your own research". No Woody, you are the coach of the team. It is expected that you know more than the people covering the team. You should answer the questions and not treat pressers like you are trying to dunk on the reporters and play gotcha. I care that he gives such shit answers then flashes that self-satisfied grin.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don't understand why this tea always sits back after a 2 or more goal lead and tries to hold the lead. They should be doing what got them the lead and go for the blowout. This team isn't built to hold a 1 goal lead for multiple periods.
They didn't really do what got them the 3 goal lead in the first place. The Oilers were fortunate to have it and had 3 goals in first 9shots and 4 in first 12. They didn't even have to be particularly good shots as Shest was waving at anything in first period and two of the goals were on the PP.

The question that needs to be asked is how do you load up a line with McD, Nuge, Hyman and they all come out of the game with zero EV Pts and are reliant on PP to get their 2pts each. That is 24M bucks of player and they should be bending ice. This line basically watched as Rangers like Panarin, Zeb, and Kreider were better all game and we even gave up a shorty on the PP.

This team sucks at EV play and this has been a factor much of the season.

Reactions: Duke74

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

Pressers are pretty much meaningless to determine how a coach is around the team, unless it’s Torts, because the guy holds nothing back at any time at all

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'd prefer the he answer the questions posed to him in the pressers. Or just say the he would prefer not answer.

Instead he gives crappy teenager like answers such as "do your own research". No Woody, you are the coach of the team. It is expected that you know more than the people covering the team. You should answer the questions and not treat pressers like you are trying to dunk on the reporters and play gotcha. I care that he gives such shit answers then flashes that self-satisfied grin.
Sure I'm not the only one noticing it. I was having difficulty with his smug expreessions and attitude last season. But now that the glovers are off its even worse.

More my concern is that his comments are so often removed from what actually occurred.

For instance he says 5 times in the presser "we just didn't find it" talking about goals. The way he describes it its like kids hunting easter eggs. Just didn't find it. Don't insult us with dumb platitudes and mean nothing statements.

Then he says in response to Rangers outplaying us badly in 3rd period. "we stopped shooting the puck" That wasn't the story at all. The Oilers barely had the puck in the 3rd period and when they had it they were losing it. That was utter Rangers domination the whole 3rd period.

Then he says "I felt comfortable with the lead when it was 4-3" jebus, really? The way this game was going and the way Rangers were digging into it I had no confidence when it was 4-1. The Rangers were the better club every period, despite the score. They completely took the game over in 2nd and 3rd periods. Woody talking like Rangers were fortunate to get the W.

He also used the "this is a good team coming in" excuse. yeah a team you didn't scout, that you didn't adjust to, and the Rangers were still springing an easy long break at end of regulation. Count the times in this game the Rangers got the easy pass up right boards to somebody just sitting at opponent blue line. The whole game the Oil didn't adjust to this free puck advance cheat code and they sure didn't study, adjust, or prepare for it. Those are free breaks we're just giving away. Probably 25X

Last edited:
Reactions: Harry Curry

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
This has been one of my main takeaways lately. The forwards aren't getting back defensively. Too many odd man rushes where the forwards aren't actually covering for a pinching D, 3-on-2s because a forward makes a gamble at the offensive blueline with a minimal chance of success, and the opposing forward entering the zone finding a trailer (often the 4th man into the zone) who has beaten the Oilers forward up ice. If the forwards aren't doing their jobs defensively it makes it hard on the D.

The forwards are also flying the zone creating huge gaps so the breakout pass from the D is getting picked off too much. How many times did the Oilers turn the puck over in the neutral zone last night? The system needs to tighten up. Part of the reason for success when Woody took over last year was because the team was actually playing well defensively and was effective getting the breakout started with quick short passes.
No, nuge literally reset and swung back to the red line. All Nurse had to do was hit him once he initially swung and he's past the first defender. But he panics, waits too long, and f***s himself over.

The dmen both had ample support from Nuge, but it was blown because their brains can't function properly.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
It might also be that the other team they're playing ramped it up.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I care when the answers given are the wrong answers, and pretty clearly incorrect. Can't even say its misinformation. Comes off more like Woody in over his head and doesn't have the answers and doesn't really know whats going on.

For instance Woody "felt confident even with the 4-3 lead." That suggests he's not really even got a pulse on the game and what is occurring on ice. The Oil went up 3-0 in first 12mins and were extremely fortunate to have that stagger. Through the rest of the game, 53mins, we failed to score and gave up 4 and then the shootout Win. By the 15mins mark of the first period the Oilers had gone into that "we're running away with this game" shtick we've seen so often. Rangers were bending the score back the rest of the way and we were lucky to still have a 2 goal lead going into third.

Woody also wrong in his comments on 3rd period saying that we started out OK but Rangers got a chance at 2mins and scored 2.5mins into third. The rangers got a great scoring chance one minute into the third and scored at 90secs in. The Rangers immediately took control of the 3rd and never gave it up. The goal feeling inevitable at that point and the Rangers continuing to run the rink. "But Woody felt comfortable with the lead" good for him, but he's alone in thinking that.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Too many times last night I noticed the forwards blowing the zone before our D even had possession, and the times our D got the puck it’s off the boards or intercepted. and mcdrai lines were the worst for this.
I remember a play where a Ranger player got the puck while stationary near our blueline, and waiting for a linemate to come through with speed and then simply give him the puck to create a good chance. THREE Oilers skated right by him, thinking he was going to panic with the puck and get rid of it. Three straight fly-bys, and all it would have taken was one of them to go after him (and even line him up for a hit being the best option) and force a play. But that might take some extra effort.:sarcasm: I realize it's only one play in a game full of defining moments, but it just illustrated to me in those 2 -3 seconds how poorly this team performs with the most simplest of tasks.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I care when the answers given are the wrong answers, and pretty clearly incorrect. Can't even say its misinformation. Comes off more like Woody in over his head and doesn't have the answers and doesn't really know whats going on.

For instance Woody "felt confident even with the 4-3 lead." That suggests he's not really even got a pulse on the game and what is occurring on ice. The Oil went up 3-0 in first 12mins and were extremely fortunate to have that stagger. Through the rest of the game, 53mins, we failed to score and gave up 4 and then the shootout Win. By the 15mins mark of the first period the Oilers had gone into that "we're running away with this game" shtick we've seen so often. Rangers were bending the score back the rest of the way and we were lucky to still have a 2 goal lead going into third.

Woody also wrong in his comments on 3rd period saying that we started out OK but Rangers got a chance at 2mins and scored 2.5mins into third. The rangers got a great scoring chance one minute into the third and scored at 90secs in. The Rangers immediately took control of the 3rd and never gave it up. The goal feeling inevitable at that point and the Rangers continuing to run the rink. "But Woody felt comfortable with the lead" good for him, but he's alone in thinking that.
I NEVER felt comfortable with that lead. Campbell had already made some incredible saves, and the Oilers also got lucky on a few other instances. For the most part, after the short lived splurge in the first period, the Rangers took control of this game by the throat, and the result was really inevitable, unless they ran into a raft of really bad luck.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I remember a play where a Ranger player got the puck while stationary near our blueline, and waiting for a linemate to come through with speed and then simply give him the puck to create a good chance. THREE Oilers skated right by him, thinking he was going to panic with the puck and get rid of it. Three straight fly-bys, and all it would have taken was one of them to go after him (and even line him up for a hit being the best option) and force a play. But that might take some extra effort.:sarcasm: I realize it's only one play in a game full of defining moments, but it just illustrated to me in those 2 -3 seconds how poorly this team performs with the most simplest of tasks.
The Oilers were giving up space, gaps, all over ice and we're playing no touch hockey. Rather try to dig for a puck then hit somebody. To wit the Oilers topsix had a combined 3hits last night. It was like watching flag football. We played Panarin exactly how he wants to be played.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I NEVER felt comfortable with that lead. Campbell had already made some incredible saves, and the Oilers also got lucky on a few other instances. For the most part, after the short lived splurge in the first period, the Rangers took control of this game by the throat, and the result was really inevitable, unless they ran into a raft of really bad luck.
Exactly. Thats the thing that concerns me and that most people thought the game was going the other way. By the end of the 2nd period most of the comments were to that degree. mine were. I said Campbell was the only reason we were still in the game, and oddly we were leading 4-2 but ought to have been losing by then. Then the 3rd period where Rangers bent us over for 20mins. So how is it possible Woody can have a completely different take on where the game looked to be headed. If he's this deluded I would imagine that he's not in the room between periods saying the right things either. So woody confident with a one goal lead and so are the Oilers? lol the one thing we know about this club is how bad they are at holding leads. Thats ingrained in us as a fanbase. We were extremely fortunate to even get a point out of this game. Thanks Campbell.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Exactly. Thats the thing that concerns me and that most people thought the game was going the other way. By the end of the 2nd period most of the comments were to that degree. mine were. I said Campbell was the only reason we were still in the game, and oddly we were leading 4-2 but ought to have been losing by then. Then the 3rd period where Rangers bent us over for 20mins. So how is it possible Woody can have a completely different take on where the game looked to be headed. If he's this deluded I would imagine that he's not in the room between periods saying the right things either. So woody confident with a one goal lead and so are the Oilers? lol the one thing we know about this club is how bad they are at holding leads. Thats ingrained in us as a fanbase. We were extremely fortunate to even get a point out of this game. Thanks Campbell.

1676749943564.jpeg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Watch the Ryan post game interview and Catch Jim Matheson being excited about the Oilers latest loss. Anytime a tough question asked Jim is smiling, beaming, even stuck his tongue out a few times. 2 times his eyes rolled around like he was having an orgasm or mental episode. Just Iso on Jim back there. I mean WTF. Somebody ask Jim if he's OK.

Living dangerously. ;)

Reactions: Porkleaker

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Watch the Ryan post game interview and Catch Jim Matheson being excited about the Oilers latest loss. Anytime a tough question asked Jim is smiling, beaming, even stuck his tongue out a few times. 2 times his eyes rolled around like he was having an orgasm or mental episode. Just Iso on Jim back there. I mean WTF. Somebody ask Jim if he's OK.

Living dangerously. ;)
Sometimes when it’s the right thing to do, you have to throw caution to the wind, my friend. ;)

duul

Jun 21, 2010

Living dangerously. ;)
Pretty common with a lot of anxious/autistic people. I always assumed Matheson was suffering from one or both of those.

Lots of people laugh in uncomfortable situations as well. Might be why he became a writer rather than a public speaker. In person interviews are very clearly not his cup of tea.

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible

Living dangerously. ;)

Glad I don't live there anymore because I'd hunt him down and dickpunch him so hard.

• Haha

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad