Post-Game Talk: Holland continues to dither, Oilers lose again

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
In part because his positioning is weak.

I admire his courage but playing in the NHL with 200+ pounders is going to take a toll.

You get to come back under 6 or 7 different handles.
he sure was outta position on OT and MacKinnon goal

Feb 9, 2013
what the hell was Campbell doing on that O'Connor goal?

This team isnt going anywhere in the playoffs with these goalies
Year in and year out its "these goalies." People need to look at the defense playing in front of them. We sent the only defender willing and able to play defense to the minors so we could dress a smurf and postpone a decision on scarecrow. Desharnais is a rookie and he made a world of difference to this team ... imagine if we had someone experienced focused on defending.

The Oilers defense has been an issue for a very long time.

Bring in Karlsson, pair him with Nurse and let Nurse focus on being a mean prick of a defender in his own end. Fire the smurf and scarecrow into the sun for all I care and bring Desharnais back to anchor the 3rd pairing. Do something like that, and I am willing to bet that all of a sudden our goalies look good again

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Watched this game. My questions are as follows:

1) Why can't the Oilers hold a two- or a three-goal lead? They're the only playoff (we hope) team that has trouble coming from ahead.

2) Why did Campbell start again? Skinner has been on form all season, and this makes three in row for Soupy Jack. No reason for this.

3) Why does Draisaitl win nearly every offensive zone face-off and lose nearly every defensive zone face-off?

Anyway, I guess it's half a win in terms of points-percentage, but the Oil are going to have to get over this Avalanche-sized mental block they currently have.

quickfeet

Dec 6, 2017
korpisalo would be an upgrade in net. Is Demko injured?
My blood pressure would be through the roof if I had signed Campbell to a 5 year deal after he soiled the sheets during torontos playoff run.
Dude was getting lit up from outside the blue line

Last edited:

Yuke

Jan 15, 2020
Calls were against us for sure but when are they for us? I just want him to make a few big saves. Last good goalie we had was Roloson. This is a broken recors now ffs
It was a clean play, I give Avs credit for it

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Watched this game. My questions are as follows:

1) Why can't the Oilers hold a two- or a three-goal lead? They're the only playoff (we hope) team that has trouble coming from ahead.

2) Why did Campbell start again? Skinner has been on form all season, and this makes three in row for Soupy Jack. No reason for this.

3) Why does Draisaitl win nearly every offensive zone face-off and lose nearly every defensive zone face-off?

Anyway, I guess it's half a win in terms of points-percentage, but the Oil are going to have to get over this Avalanche-sized mental block they currently have.
1. Because other teams ramp it up in the third and don't have the personnel and mental fortitude at this point to consistently hold leads

2. Campbell started because Skinner is still recovering from that nasty flu bug going around. He probably needs to stay closer to the shitter than the bench. I expect when he fully recovers and gains his strength back he'll start.

3. Teams probably line up differently in the defensive zone than the O zone, and the centre likely attacks draws differently too.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
1. Because other teams ramp it up in the third and don't have the personnel and mental fortitude at this point to consistently hold leads

2. Campbell started because Skinner is still recovering from that nasty flu bug going around. He probably needs to stay closer to the shitter than the bench. I expect when he fully recovers and gains his strength back he'll start.

3. Teams probably line up differently in the defensive zone than the O zone, and the centre likely attacks draws differently too.
Don't forget that the defending center has to put his stick down first and then the attacking center can decide where to place his stick.

Plus, on an icing the attacking center gets the added benefit of choosing what side the draw takes place.

Reactions: Stoneman89

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
With a day to think about this, I have found myself more upset about the WAY in which the Oilers lost the last two games rather than the RESULT of collecting an important point.

I would have been happy both games earning a point when entering these games against a tough opponent who was on a hot stretch while the Oilers were short a player and had numerous players battling illness. However, they jump to an early 3 goal lead and one's expectations become greater. Then the other teams scores and you feel the game is slipping, but the Oilers do score that 4th or 5th goal to reestablish a multi-goal lead in the 3rd period, building your confidence back up. Eventually, they give up the tying goal in regulation and lose in extra time.

The single point sucks because they back themselves into what I previously considered a reasonable result.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton
I know everyone is hating on Nurse right now, but it seems like a lot of people think we would be a better team if we healthy scratched him. I can agree he's not a #1 dman, but do people honestly think he doesn't even belong in the NHL and we are a better team without him in the lineup, hence the healthy scratch thoughts?

Anybody who thinks is this is a casual whos opinion should not be represenitive of the fan base. But he is so overmatched in his role right now - I dont think anybody can disagree w that

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
Not sure why people keep bringing up Skinner and Vinny...both are SICK and can't play.
My question is why the hell does this team get a flu every single year? I haven't had a flu in years, do these guys not wash their hands? Spend too much time in clubs? Seems like every year we get into the winter and the team gets decimated by some sickness.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My question is why the hell does this team get a flu every single year? I haven't had a flu in years, do these guys not wash their hands? Spend too much time in clubs? Seems like every year we get into the winter and the team gets decimated by some sickness.
Guessing that a lot of travel, time spent on planes, in hotels, restaurants etc, more than your average person contributes to it. Then you have a dressing room/on ice environment with a lot of very close contact between a lot of different people. I’m sure they aren’t trying to get sick.

Last edited:

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
My TV provider decided the game was outside my viewing area when it was 5 to 4. Did they just run of out energy at the end(flu/altitude) or was it the typical 21-22 Oilers defensive implosion?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

Sounds like they could use some of Alex Jones' 100% certified bone broth.

• Haha
Reactions: Oilhawks

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
You don’t believe people actually >read< these forums, do you? :huh:

To be honest this forum's hyper insistence on keeping threads merged can keep news buried deep inside of like 20 page threads.

There is quite often times where there's a significant piece of news or rumor about the Oilers and I check this board and just from looking at a thread view you'd have no idea anything was happening.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Calls were against us for sure but when are they for us? I just want him to make a few big saves. Last good goalie we had was Roloson. This is a broken recors now ffs
Because Nurse, the only D, because its 3 on 3 OT was picked on the winning goal it allowed Rants to move across ice, take as long as he could, and was able to out wait Campbell and realizing as well that Campbell has to respect that a top scorer could slot the puck home from close range anytime. its a nightmare moving across situation for a goalie. Premium goal scorers will exploit that. But Nurse was very clearly picked on the play, which is huge in 3on3. The zebras allowed that like anything else they allowed the AV's to do.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Because Nurse, the only D, because its 3 on 3 OT was picked on the winning goal it allowed Rants to move across ice, take as long as he could, and was able to out wait Campbell and realizing as well that Campbell has to respect that a top scorer could slot the puck home from close range anytime. its a nightmare moving across situation for a goalie. Premium goal scorers will exploit that. But Nurse was very clearly picked on the play, which is huge in 3on3. The zebras allowed that like anything else they allowed the AV's to do.
He wasn't picked on the game tying goal. He lost his battle. 9.25.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
To be honest this forum's hyper insistence on keeping threads merged can keep news buried deep inside of like 20 page threads.

There is quite often times where there's a significant piece of news or rumor about the Oilers and I check this board and just from looking at a thread view you'd have no idea anything was happening.

This isn’t the best platform for news and rumours. But it’s a great place to vent and bitch! :nod:

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Sharks feed just said that 40% of wins this season have been come from behind. Must be higher than usual

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad