HOH Top Centers - Round 2 Voting Results

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Am I the only one who doesn't think that Roenick/Lafontaine received enough support to be added?

I really thought doing a short Round 16 was the best solution, but seems nobody else agrees.

I agree.

Maybe neither of them will win. Limiting the candidates should change thinks significantly.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I agree.

Maybe neither of them will win. Limiting the candidates should change thinks significantly.

That's what I was thinking. We've seen swings of 15-20 or so points between rounds, when we are talking about guys who only got 50 or so points of support.

IMO, the fairest thing is to re-vote 1-6 on Lafontaine, Roenick, Foyston, Sedin, Colville, and Primeau with the winner taking 60th. Originally, i didn't have Primeau there because he was 8 points behind the rest (and because I felt he was talked about much more than the rest of them last round), but we do have something of a break after Primeau where everyone after him was left off the majority of the ballots.

Alternatively, we can end with a list with 59 (or 61) names on it.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax
Roenick is a second-rate center of his era, just like Nieuwendyk. He has no business being in the top-60.

lol? His "era" is the entire decade of the '90s (his first and last PPG+ seasons fit nicely into those constraints), and during that era he had more points than Gilmour, Messier, Fedorov, Lindros, Lemieux, etc; 12th overall in points during the entire decade of the '90s, and often outscoring his next highest scoring teammate by ~30 points. Not "second-rate" by any stretch, imo.

Nieuwendyk is "second-rate" for being a 1B even at the best of times over his career (during Gilmour's tenure as a Flame, followed by a young Reichel supplanting him as the #1 offensive threat following that, and finally playing behind Modano).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
That's what I was thinking. We've seen swings of 15-20 or so points between rounds, when we are talking about guys who only got 50 or so points of support.

IMO, the fairest thing is to re-vote 1-6 on Lafontaine, Roenick, Foyston, Sedin, Colville, and Primeau with the winner taking 60th. Originally, i didn't have Primeau there because he was 8 points behind the rest (and because I felt he was talked about much more than the rest of them last round), but we do have something of a break after Primeau where everyone after him was left off the majority of the ballots.

Alternatively, we can end with a list with 59 (or 61) names on it.

TBH, I don't have any problem with any solutioon TBH. I'll suggest a fast track -- no time allowed to debating.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
lol? His "era" is the entire decade of the '90s (his first and last PPG+ seasons fit nicely into those constraints), and during that era he had more points than Gilmour, Messier, Fedorov, Lindros, Lemieux, etc; 12th overall in points during the entire decade of the '90s, and often outscoring his next highest scoring teammate by ~30 points. Not "second-rate" by any stretch, imo.
Absurd selective argument is absurd.

ted2019

History of Hockey
Oct 3, 2008
pittsgrove nj
Glad to see Jacques make the top 3. Also, maybe just add up the amount of votes from 1-5 for the tiebreaker. If players are still tied, then narrow it down to the top 4, etc...

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
At least the guy having Stamkos 1st (and it wasn't me) has an argument of tougher competition (not that you would agree on that it seems) and Stamkos has the same streak of being the top goal scorer by a very large amount over Canadian competition, McGee was a distant 2nd.

I'll ask later, hopefully that person has his reasons and will share them with us.

So it's a one-way street it would seem. According to you, Stamkos must not lag far behind McGee if voting was applied consistently. Yet the opposite, McGee lagging behind Stamkos, is apparently justifiable using the same criteria. Not surprisingly, it is the modern era player that gets the benefit of the fuzzy logic. You plan to question the person who had McGee far ahead of Stamkos on grounds on consistency, but whoever had Stamkos far ahead of McGee will not be subject to your criticism, correct?

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
TBH, I don't have any problem with any solutioon TBH. I'll suggest a fast track -- no time allowed to debating.

I don't see why we wouldn't allow time to debate. Maybe a week.

Perhaps we could allow voters to vote any time during that week (even at the beginning), rather than forcing everyone to wait until the end.

sr edler

gold is not reality
Mar 20, 2010
Agreed, set up a quick vote. I'll vote for LaFontaine, he was better than Roenick.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Agreed, set up a quick vote. I'll vote for LaFontaine, he was better than Roenick.

Even a quick vote should be an ordered ranking of 1-6 IMO. As is, only 5 of 17 had Lafontaine in their top 3 and 6 of 17 had Roenick, so I don't think we should assume that one of those two would have to make the list.

And I say this as someone who had Roenick in his top 3.

Ohashi_Jouzu*

Apr 2, 2007
Halifax

Ignorant argument is also ignorant. Thanks in no small way to those point totals, he was voted as having had a top 5 season at his position 3 or 4 times during said decade (depending on how you count '89/90 vs '99/00), on top of figuring into the Hart voting twice and the Selke voting twice as well. "Second-rate" centre my ass. :laugh:

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005

Kindof a crude way to put it. But a selective argument is a selective argument, which is a selective argument. And that one was a selective argument.

Now, Roenick, in that group and at that point, was a perfectly defensible choice for Top-8.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Why are you mixing apples, oranges and potatoes all together? Maybe you should look at who Sundin or Malkin were compared with?

As for Stamkos vs. McGee, being considered the best player in the world >>> not coming even close in not exactly top-heavy era. Being a well-rounded player >>> being a total one-trick pony.

Roenick is a second-rate center of his era, just like Nieuwendyk. He has no business being in the top-60.

there was and is a very simple and easy way to compare Frank and Steve, how did they score compared to their Canadian counterparts.

Steve in his 4 year peak demolished his counterparts, Frank was at least a distant 2nd to Bowie.

If you want to compare Stamkos to the larger world, ie Russins ect then you have to acknowledge the greater difficulty that Stamkos faced in his competition but somehow you are holding onto some other hidden notion here.

even against the world Stamkos just destroys all others in goal scoring in his 4 year peak

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=goals

Both guys were basically goal scorers, we have a few quotes about Frank being this and that but we can't really put it into any type of context compared to Stamkos either who plays in a much more developed league where the game is coached beyond belief.

Frank played in a pretty carefree and vastly changing era which was highly unstructured and were the Rover who set up the plays was usually considered the best or most important player on the teams and goal scoring wasn't considered as important as it would later become.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
Ignorant argument is also ignorant. Thanks in no small way to those point totals, he was voted as having had a top 5 season at his position 3 or 4 times during said decade (depending on how you count '89/90 vs '99/00), on top of figuring into the Hart voting twice and the Selke voting twice as well. "Second-rate" centre my ass. :laugh:
There were more than 10 centers who were better in the 90s than Roenick - in no particular order - Lemieux, Messier, Gretzky, Lindros, Gilmour, Francis, Oates, Modano, Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, Fedorov + a bunch of others who are at least arguable like Lafontaine or Sundin. That's obviously second-rate.

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
there was and is a very simple and easy way to compare Frank and Steve, how did they score compared to their Canadian counterparts.

Steve in his 4 year peak demolished his counterparts, Frank was at least a distant 2nd to Bowie.

If you want to compare Stamkos to the larger world, ie Russins ect then you have to acknowledge the greater difficulty that Stamkos faced in his competition but somehow you are holding onto some other hidden notion here.

even against the world Stamkos just destroys all others in goal scoring in his 4 year peak

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...3val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=goals

Both guys were basically goal scorers, we have a few quotes about Frank being this and that but we can't really put it into any type of context compared to Stamkos either who plays in a much more developed league where the game is coached beyond belief.

Frank played in a pretty carefree and vastly changing era which was highly unstructured and were the Rover who set up the plays was usually considered the best or most important player on the teams and goal scoring wasn't considered as important as it would later become.
So now we're suddenly not comparing the players as whole but just goalscoring, which just happens to be the only thing Steven 'Brett Hull' Stamkos can actually do?

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
So it's a one-way street it would seem. According to you, Stamkos must not lag far behind McGee if voting was applied consistently. Yet the opposite, McGee lagging behind Stamkos, is apparently justifiable using the same criteria. Not surprisingly, it is the modern era player that gets the benefit of the fuzzy logic. You plan to question the person who had McGee far ahead of Stamkos on grounds on consistency, but whoever had Stamkos far ahead of McGee will not be subject to your criticism, correct?

I will ask Denis who had them 1,3 but he will probably answer that he is a pure peak guy, looking at his vote this round and others will help.

that being said he has stated that he is almost a pure peak guy, my biggest problem is a guy complaining about the shortness of a guys career (Malkin) and then also downplaying the extreme high consistency and lack of a really high peak for Sundin.

I don't agree with his 1 and 3 placing this round but at least he seems to be consistent in his thinking, not so for the other view which seems random at best, but then again it's a guess on comments here let's see the voting alter on.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
So now we're suddenly not comparing the players as whole but just goalscoring, which just happens to be the only thing Steven 'Brett Hull' Stamkos can actually do?

That is the strength of the argument for both players right?

or is some quote about Frank from over 100 years ago and no way to compare how true it is from actual game play going to be considered more important of a factor now?

Something must make them not close (in your words) right?

What players from the same denominator world, ie parts of Ontario and Quebec are better players than Stamkos in that 4 year period?

You won't find any is my bet.

But the hockey world is pretty equal for both guys in your opinion perhaps?

Pretty hard argument to back up even in 1914 never mind 2014.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
There were more than 10 centers who were better in the 90s than Roenick - in no particular order - Lemieux, Messier, Gretzky, Lindros, Gilmour, Francis, Oates, Modano, Sakic, Forsberg, Yzerman, Fedorov + a bunch of others who are at least arguable like Lafontaine or Sundin. That's obviously second-rate.

are you using 90-99 or 91-2000?

for reference points (or as a starting point)

90-99

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

91-00

http://www.hockey-reference.com/pla...val=&c4stat=&c4comp=gt&c4val=&order_by=points

Wayne does very well on points but voters didn't think very highly of him in Hart voting for that decade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad