HOH Top 60 Defensemen of All-Time (Preliminary and General Discussion)

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Sorta back from the dead...
If I want to send a list, does it need to be in a specific format? I tend to work with Open Office, so I wonder it that format is accepted...

We're taking list in Excel, and plain text lists with consistent formatting, by PM to TheDevilMadeMe or by email. If you make your list in Open Office, you could save it as a .txt file and email it.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We're taking list in Excel, and plain text lists with consistent formatting, by PM to TheDevilMadeMe or by email. If you make your list in Open Office, you could save it as a .txt file and email it.

Started my list in .ods (spreadsheet) == oh well, good ole' copy+paste will probably work.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
With OpenOffice you should be able to save in .xls format.

Ernie. But you can just use the nickname for players commonly known by their nickname.

Actually, I'm able to save in .xls - just not in .txt

Thanks for Ernie. So far (and there isn't many names missing at this point), I did use nicknames for :

- Johnson (Moose)
- Johnson (Ching)
- Goodfellow (Ebbie)
- Pratt (Babe)
- Wentworth (Cy)
- Clapper (Dit)

I didn't use nicknames for those guys :

- Boucher (Georges "Buck")
- Stewart ("Black" Jack)

Not in my list at this point, but has a decent chance to make it

- Silas "Si" Griffis

Is that okay with what you have so far?

Iain Fyffe

Hockey fact-checker
Thanks for Ernie. So far (and there isn't many names missing at this point), I did use nicknames for :

- Johnson (Moose)
- Johnson (Ching)
- Goodfellow (Ebbie)
- Pratt (Babe)
- Wentworth (Cy)
- Clapper (Dit)

- Stewart ("Black" Jack)

- Silas "Si" Griffis
Those seem fine to me - Si (Silas) Griffis and Ebbie (Ebenezer) Goodfellow aren't really nicknames in the sense that Moose or Ching are, any more than "Mike" is a nickname for someone called Michael. I'd say all the players on your first list are known more by their nicknames than their real names, so you're fine to use them.

overpass

Jun 7, 2007
Actually, I'm able to save in .xls - just not in .txt

- Johnson (Moose)
- Johnson (Ching)
- Goodfellow (Ebbie)
- Pratt (Babe)
- Wentworth (Cy)
- Clapper (Dit)

- Stewart ("Black" Jack)

- Silas "Si" Griffis

Is that okay with what you have so far?

Yes, that's consistent with what we have.

There are a few players where you could reasonably list them a couple of different names, but we can deal with that. Having the majority of players consistently named across lists makes it easier to create the aggregate list.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
It might be late, but because I saw something about it...

I think Reardon should get better consideration than Bouchard, Stewart and Quackenbush, if only because of the fact that his career was shorter due to the war. This isn't probably the place for "what if's", but he's really the guy that was hurt the most by WWII in this ranking (and as a whole, I might say).

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
After some editing, there's exactly 79 names on my list (seriously).

... Do any of you think there isn't more than 79 better D-Men than Gus Mortson?

My feeling with him is that he was ... a reliable D, but except from one big season where he was arguably the best D in the league (him or Reardon), I'm not that convinced, but he's the best name I came up with.

Will probably send my list tomorrow.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

My feeling with him is that he was ... a reliable D, but except from one big season where he was arguably the best D in the league (him or Reardon), I'm not that convinced, but he's the best name I came up with.

Funny, I have Mortson 80th on my list.

pluppe

Apr 6, 2009
I still have problems with tables myself, but this is basically it:

Use the
tag to surround the table. Separate items on each row with | No symbol at the end of each row.

I found it easier when I started working with tables to just quote a post that contained a previous table and copy the formatting.
It really is easiest that way. Tables are a pain.

Here's a format for those who need one:

[ta.ble]Header 1 | Header 2 | Header 3 | Header 4 | Header 5
Row 1 | Row 1 | Row 1 | Row 1 | Row 1
Row 2 | Row 2 | Row 2 | Row 2 | Row 2
Row 3 | Row 3 | Row 3 | Row 3 | Row 3
Row 4 | Row 4 | Row 4 | Row 4 | Row 4
Row 5 | Row 5 | Row 5 | Row 5 | Row 5 [/ta.ble]

When I take the "." out of the word "table", this is how it comes out:

Header 1 | Header 2 | Header 3 | Header 4 | Header 5
Row 1 | Row 1 | Row 1 | Row 1 | Row 1
Row 2 | Row 2 | Row 2 | Row 2 | Row 2
Row 3 | Row 3 | Row 3 | Row 3 | Row 3
Row 4 | Row 4 | Row 4 | Row 4 | Row 4
Row 5 | Row 5 | Row 5 | Row 5 | Row 5
Hockey Outsider once posted a way to do tables without having to insert those bars in this thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=614595:

Thank you all very much!

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
It might be late, but because I saw something about it...

I think Reardon should get better consideration than Bouchard, Stewart and Quackenbush, if only because of the fact that his career was shorter due to the war. This isn't probably the place for "what if's", but he's really the guy that was hurt the most by WWII in this ranking (and as a whole, I might say).

Reardon lost his age 21,22 and 23 seasons and was done at age 28, it's not like he lost his prime seasons to the war or anything.

Mortson's career is more of an decent guy in a 6 team (30 Dman) league with one great year but I guess it depends on how people juggle the era compared to others at the end of the day.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Seriously though its not like any of our 80th guys are going to make the top 60 list.

Maybe, maybe not. It depends on where other people list them and then the arguments made during round 2.

As for your other statement, one thing that Housley and Green have in common is that their play declined tremendously in the playoffs. Coffey doesn't fit that part of the party.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe, maybe not. It depends on where other people list them and then the arguments made during round 2.

As for your other statement, one thing that Housley and Green have in common is that their play declined tremendously in the playoffs. Coffey doesn't fit that part of the party.

Well it's pretty safe to say that the 80th guy on my list won't be making the top 60 but I really don't se the case being any better for another guy listed 80th but that's probably something that will come up in round 2 like you mentioned.

You are right Coffeys offense didn't suffer in the playoffs but his defensive play didn't get any better either and that's kinda were the comments stemmed from.

Coffey is one guy that will probably be all over the map in the rankings from top 10 to ... not sure where I put him, it would change every time i looked at my list.

You do bring up a good point though would Greens 09 season be viewed slightly better if he had a better playoff record.

And for the record his playoff record stat wise hasn't been that bad either. sure 80th was probably a little high but his 09 season was pretty special and he has logged huge minutes for the Caps since 08.

Note: My keyboard on my laptop is screwed up and instead of getting it's when I type it in I get a itÈs which I might miss occasionally and apologize for in advance.

Last edited:

Pear Juice

Dec 12, 2007
Gothenburg, SWE
Well it's pretty safe to say that the 80th guy on my list won't be making the top 60 but I really don't se the case being any better for another guy listed 80th but that's probably something that will come up in round 2 like you mentioned.

You are right Coffeys offense didn't suffer in the playoffs but his defensive play didn't get any better either and that's kinda were the comments stemmed from.

Coffey is one guy that will probably be all over the map in the rankings from top 10 to ... not sure where I put him, it would change every time i looked at my list.

You do bring up a good point though would Greens 09 season be viewed slightly better if he had a better playoff record.

And for the record his playoff record stat wise hasn't been that bad either. sure 80th was probably a little high but his 09 season was pretty special and he has logged huge minutes for the Caps since 08.

Note: My keyboard on my laptop is screwed up and instead of getting it's when I type it in I get a itÈs which I might miss occasionally and apologize for in advance.
I'm not sure I expect Coffey to be that polarizing. I think most people would rank him somewhere between 10-20. More interested to see where non-NHL players like Mike Grant, Jan Suchy or Alexander Ragulin end up. I can imagine them anywhere from 20th to outside the list.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I'm not sure I expect Coffey to be that polarizing. I think most people would rank him somewhere between 10-20. More interested to see where non-NHL players like Mike Grant, Jan Suchy or Alexander Ragulin end up. I can imagine them anywhere from 20th to outside the list.

I'd agree that those 3 players would have more of a range, it's just my opinion that for a player of his stature on the surface, Coffeys range would be higher than one might expect.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario

It's not that his 09 season wasn't very good..obviously not many players put up those kind of numbers on defense anymore. However, when you look at his entire career (which is what we are doing) he just doesn't fit the bill, at least from my perspective.

I can't stand Coffey and never could but I don't think there is an argument for him not at least being in the top-20.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad