HOH Top-50 Non-NHL Europeans Project - Preliminary & General Discussion Thread

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
The more names in the list, the less time we get to discuss them. If natural breaks force us to go big early, then that's what we have to do.

More consensus early on, less consensus later. I would agree that in a round where we're adding numbers 9 to 12, there doesn't need to be 13 names in the discussion yet.

Okay, point taken. Round 3 is too early to go that big.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I can't follow. What difference does it make whether a single outlier ranks a player really low or doesn't rank the player at all?

Suppose someone absolutely hates / has an agenda to make sure a player ranks as lowly as possible. We're discussing 14 names, with the intention to add only 4.

If we're just submitting lists of 8, the worst this person with an agenda can do is rank their pet peeve player "not top-8". If we're ranking all 14, they can put them 14th, giving every single other player in the round more points than that player.

making it so that the players voters consider to be on the margins for that round are seen as essentially equals, avoids the latter scenario.

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Suppose someone absolutely hates / has an agenda to make sure a player ranks as lowly as possible. We're discussing 14 names, with the intention to add only 4.

If we're just submitting lists of 8, the worst this person with an agenda can do is rank their pet peeve player "not top-8". If we're ranking all 14, they can put them 14th, giving every single other player in the round more points than that player.

making it so that the players voters consider to be on the margins for that round are seen as essentially equals, avoids the latter scenario.

Okay, I see, that makes perfect sense. Make it "discuss and rank up to .. players" then.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I can't follow. What difference does it make whether a single outlier ranks a player really low or doesn't rank the player at all?

13 names. Rank them all 1-13 = 12 points is the max that a single voter could tank a player. Rank 1-8, with 5 players not ranked = max difference of 8 points a single voter could tank a player.

Read the rules discussions leading up to the first positional project (the defensemen one). The voting system from the 2008 top players project was exactly like you are proposing and was one of the things most complained about when revising the rules.

Edit: I missed the last 2 posts before typing this

Theokritos

Global Moderator
Apr 6, 2010
Round 2 is scheduled to finally get under way later today. Since the top players on the aggregate list are all set, round 1 ballots will still be accepted until the end of round 2, vote 1. Just in case anybody still wants to become a participant.

Anderson9

Apr 11, 2009
Kazan, Russia
My European Top-20

Sergei Makarov
Slava Fetisov
Vladimir Krutov
Börje Salming
Jan Suchy
HÃ¥kan Loob
Jaromir Jagr
Peter Forsberg