Pre-Game Talk: Hogtown again - Tuukka's 500th game - 7:07 PM - NESN, ESPN+, TVAS, TSN4 - 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

caz16

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 11, 2011
Ontario
75271474_3307153462803437_6806250092903792640_n.jpg

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
As a non-American I have to point out the absurdity of this to outsiders. Excluding baseball, there is no other major league anywhere in the world in any sport outside of North America where two teams will meet 4 times in a regular season. 2 is the norm for most leagues, 3 at the absolute maximum.

4 is fine in this context but it's plenty enough. More than that and the rivalry becomes stale and over-worked. Fewer games keeps it fresh and makes each contest mean more.

I don't agree at all. Rivalries were so much better when the team's played more. They're stale and boring now.

Perfect example is tonight. After this game we will only get the Leafs two more times. That's ridiculous. You're battling these teams for playoff positions. You should be playing them more.

I would like to see them go back to 6 games (3H and 3A). Were you a fan back in 2010-2011? If so, you'll remember the great brawl game with MTL. Playing your division rivals breeds hate which this league desperately needs.

Imagine playing the Laffs 4 more times after tonight? We need it.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoBs and BMC

kthx

Bedard to Bruins 2023
Apr 24, 2019
f*** them. They play terrible first period every game so I wont be satisfied unless its 3-0 Bruins in the first. Tuukka with a shutout.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
As a non-American I have to point out the absurdity of this to outsiders. Excluding baseball, there is no other major league anywhere in the world in any sport outside of North America where two teams will meet 4 times in a regular season. 2 is the norm for most leagues, 3 at the absolute maximum.
The first league I looked up was the Swedish Elite League. 14 teams, 52 games, 4 games against every opponent. The KHL also plays ~4 games in division (the first matchup I checked was, maybe not uniform) over 62 games.

Most leagues don't play an opponent 4 times because they don't have 30+ teams or play 82 games. Premier League "football" has 20 teams, 38 games, 2 per opponent.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

4 is fine in this context but it's plenty enough. More than that and the rivalry becomes stale and over-worked. Fewer games keeps it fresh and makes each contest mean more.

Well back in the olden days, when I was a kid, you’d play the same team two or three times a month.

1966-67 Boston Bruins Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

:D

xStanleyCupsFor

Sep 12, 2014
Tell guys like DeBrusk to work on playing the off wing.

Moving Bjork to the 2nd line would require moving Pasta, Heinen and Debrusk without any time to practice.

Start on the 4th line. Also, Kuraly and Wagner aren't offensively gifted but they sure can clear space for Bjork and Kuraly certainly can keep up speed wise.

People's perception of the 4th line is quite skewed.

I really don't mid Bjork with Kuraly and Wagner just to start off. At least they'll all be skating well.

Reactions: TCB and HustleB

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
I sure hope Bjork turns out to be what a lot of people seem to think he is because if he doesn't this place will be unbearable.

Cannot be worse than the production of Backes, Kuhlman and Ritchie. Heck he is a lot cheaper than Backes. That alone is the tiebreaker for me in terms of who could be on this roster. Especially keeping up to the Leafs pace.

That said, if he stays on the 4th line he will be like Nordy, keep it simple and hustle. Probably no points but play a safe defensive game to impress Butch. Will that be enough, who knows.

Last edited:

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The first league I looked up was the Swedish Elite League. 14 teams, 52 games, 4 games against every opponent. The KHL also plays ~4 games in division (the first matchup I checked was, maybe not uniform) over 62 games.

Most leagues don't play an opponent 4 times because they don't have 30+ teams or play 82 games. Premier League "football" has 20 teams, 38 games, 2 per opponent.

When I said 'major' sports I was thinking primarily of the really big leagues, so mostly football/soccer, basketball and rugby in Europe, more soccer in Asia, cricket in India and rugby and our version of football here in Oz. 2-3 games is the norm across all of these.

You can make a case for 4+ in the American context and that's fine, I'm just pointing out that 4 is already unusual for a major sporting league and to me at least it seems like enough.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
I don't agree at all. Rivalries were so much better when the team's played more. They're stale and boring now.

Perfect example is tonight. After this game we will only get the Leafs two more times. That's ridiculous. You're battling these teams for playoff positions. You should be playing them more.

I would like to see them go back to 6 games (3H and 3A). Were you a fan back in 2010-2011? If so, you'll remember the great brawl game with MTL. Playing your division rivals breeds hate which this league desperately needs.

That's fine, to each their own. 4 is enough for me - seems to strike a balance between acknowleding and allowing the continued growth of historical rivalries but not going back to the same well too often.

You can look at the playoffs situation another way too. With the rareity of East/West rivalries you get this weird situation where most SCFs are between teams with little history or passion between them. Sometimes you get lucky and get a Bruins/Blackhawks, but they're rare. If some more time was put into cross-conference or at least cross-divisional contests, like the little bit of heat building between the Bruins and the Sharks, that might pay off come finals time.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be

The old Adams Division was the best hockey I ever saw.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
When I said 'major' sports I was thinking primarily of the really big leagues
It's really based on sport, level, and maturity, not geography. Some day if European basketball goes big time maybe they'll play an NBA equivalent season.

Other sports just never will by their nature.

I'm not sure whether I agree or disagree with your overall point though. College hockey certainly doesn't lack for rivalry and they play each league opponent 2 times (+ specials), but then each weekend is an event. I think what we really want is playoff hockey all season long.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
What i want:
1. 5-2 win
2. Nastiness/Hatred

What I think we will get:
1. 3-2 win for someone
2. Emotionless rivalry game

TP

Global Moderator
Dec 2, 2008
What is going on with the GDT? I need to be frightened

aguineapig

Well back in the olden days, when I was a kid, you’d play the same team two or three times a month.

1966-67 Boston Bruins Schedule and Results | Hockey-Reference.com

:D
I recall reading about the old timers talk about riding the train in the original six days prior to air travel. The teams would have a home and home and after the first game both teams would hop aboard the train to the other city. Each team had their own car, but the dining car was a common area. Upon seeing the enemy a cold stare was given and not a word spoken.

Jorah Marshmont

Long may he reign
May 10, 2012
Whatever line two of Lindholm/Backes/Ritchie are on, that's your fourth line. Bjork is on the third line tonight. Hopefully he scores early and often while he's up and gives Sweeney no choice but to give him one of the three stooges roster spots

Otherworld

Oct 26, 2016
The new meaningless buzzphrase for hockey players to regurgitate. I wonder if he mentioned how early season divisional points were at a premium too :D

I wonder how the Leafs could be proud of that game when they heavily outplayed.

Reactions: Dr Hook
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2