Confirmed with Link: Hoffman signed to 1yr, 2-way contract

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I don't think Greening or Neil are taking away a spot Hoffman could earn

Hoffman has speed but that's it. He's still young enough that he could put it all together but I haven't been impressed by him, he's been ok that's about it.

He's never been given a true test with skill players. And Maclean shuffles lines like a carney a lot of the time.

I'd like to see a and leave them be to see what they can do.

Michalek - Zibanejad - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Greening - Smith - Condra
Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar

The Spezza retun will define the top 9

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Interesting stats about Hoffman

Hoffman, while with the Sens this season, shot at a rate of 11.1 per 60 minutes of icetime (16th in the league!). He played on average 13 minutes per game (so 2.4 shots/game) and shot a very subpar 4.9%, league average is about 9% if I'm not mistaken.

Using this data you can determine that if Hoffman were to play a full season while maintaining his current shooting rate and hit the league average in shooting %, or even close to it he could have hit around 18 goals this season with the minutes he was allotted.

If we were to up his minutes to that of a second line wingers like Michalek, let's say around 17 minutes per game, he could have hit around 23 goals shooting league average.

Now I'm not saying that Hoffman is a lock to be a 20 goal scorer next year (obviously there's a lot more variables that I didn't consider) but the potential is certainly there.

(If my math or numbers are incorrect I'd appreciate if someone pointed it out, I kind of rushed this)

StefanW

Mar 13, 2013
Ottawa
www.storiesnumberstell.com
Hoffman, while with the Sens this season, shot at a rate of 11.1 per 60 minutes of icetime (16th in the league!). He played on average 13 minutes per game (so 2.4 shots/game) and shot a very subpar 4.9%, league average is about 9% if I'm not mistaken.

Using this data you can determine that if Hoffman were to play a full season while maintaining his current shooting rate and hit the league average in shooting %, or even close to it he could have hit around 18 goals this season with the minutes he was allotted.

If we were to up his minutes to that of a second line wingers like Michalek, let's say around 17 minutes per game, he could have hit around 23 goals shooting league average.

Now I'm not saying that Hoffman is a lock to be a 20 goal scorer next year (obviously there's a lot more variables that I didn't consider) but the potential is certainly there.

(If my math or numbers are incorrect I'd appreciate if someone pointed it out, I kind of rushed this)

Cool analysis, thank you for this. I'll play devil's advocate and do a counterpoint, just for the sake of fleshing out the discussion. Shooting percentages are not consistent from player to player, so it is entirely possible that his 4.9% is pretty much what he is. If that is the case, he becomes one of those guys with blazing speed who gets loads of chances and can't seem to bury many of them. I do not watch Bingo games, but I seem to remember someone here making the observation that Hoffman in Bingo relied more on speed than accuracy and finesse.

I think a 2 way deal is perfect if you are not sure if the guy will become a solid 20 goal scorer or an also ran with good analytics numbers who could not put it all together (I'm looking at you, Regin).

We Want the Cup 2010

Jun 16, 2009

His shot and speed are above average, could be good if he stays healthy. What is he, like 175 lbs?

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Cool analysis, thank you for this. I'll play devil's advocate and do a counterpoint, just for the sake of fleshing out the discussion. Shooting percentages are not consistent from player to player, so it is entirely possible that his 4.9% is pretty much what he is. If that is the case, he becomes one of those guys with blazing speed who gets loads of chances and can't seem to bury many of them. I do not watch Bingo games, but I seem to remember someone here making the observation that Hoffman in Bingo relied more on speed than accuracy and finesse.

I think a 2 way deal is perfect if you are not sure if the guy will become a solid 20 goal scorer or an also ran with good analytics numbers who could not put it all together (I'm looking at you, Regin).

Yeah I was wondering about that but I think Hoffman has the offensive abilities to reach 9%, and even if he doesn't reach that lofty goal he should certainly improve from a 4.9%, I mean that's worse than what Brian McGrattan shot this year. I wish shooting % weren't so damn fickle so it'd be easier to predict how players will succeed year to year.

Worst case scenario (Hoffman never putting it together offensively) I think I'd still like to have him on the team, his speed makes him a very effective defender and PKer. Perfect bottom sixer IMO.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I think he's definitely got a future in the NHL, although at this point, with our budgetary restrictions, he'll likely have a place here all season by default.

2XPRO31

Jul 13, 2007
He's fast and has an NHL caliber shot. He's going to need to find the back of the net more consistently to stay in the NHL. He hit a lot of posts and crossbars last season and I think he will finally stick this season

Ski

Calder Cup Champs
Oct 18, 2007
Binghamton, NY
He's fast and has an NHL caliber shot. He's going to need to find the back of the net more consistently to stay in the NHL. He hit a lot of posts and crossbars last season and I think he will finally stick this season

It'll come..Hoff is a proven scorer in the AHL.

Next step for the organization is to re-sign Schneider..

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
It'll come..Hoff is a proven scorer in the AHL.

Next step for the organization is to re-sign Schneider..

7607b737d8c02137a5545d5f85c81608.300.jpg

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
I'm not sure one can be a "better" version of Condra. Just being a version of Condra means you suck tremendously.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
I'm not sure one can be a "better" version of Condra. Just being a version of Condra means you suck tremendously.

Clearly you don't appreciate Condra's defensive ability. Try listening to what Potvin observes more often :laugh:

Another point. If you don't understand that Condra played 70 games and contributed to 16 goals for and 16 against, albeit during a terrible defensive season, then you don't understand defensive hockey players. 16 GOALS ALL SEASON. That is ridiculously good considering he played 9-16 minutes all year.

A Hoffman with Condra's defensive ability and his own knack for the puck would make a great third line winger and the new Chris Kelly.

Last edited:

Countdown0

Deep Breath... nope, still mad!
Jun 28, 2010
Ottawa
Kinda surprised he only got one year. Hoffman is still young. Maybe he only wanted one year so that he could earn more sooner in his next contract by having a good season, and the two-way part of the deal was the condition to giving him only one year?

Healfezza

Sep 9, 2008
Red Deer
Kinda surprised he only got one year. Hoffman is still young. Maybe he only wanted one year so that he could earn more sooner in his next contract by having a good season, and the two-way part of the deal was the condition to giving him only one year?

1 year makes sense for both parties. From the Senators side they want a longer look at Hoffman at the NHL level before they commit to a one way deal. For Hoffman he wants the NHL minutes in order to increase his value to get a one way deal and increase his yearly salary.

The only way it could have been structured differently in my opinion is the 2 year deal where the first year is a 2 way and the second is a 1 way as it gives Hoffman some security and gives the Senators some flexibility. (but this only really fits if they feel he has a very high likelihood of sticking in the NHL).

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
Proven AHL scorers with significant NHL skills (in Hoffman's case - speed and shot) usually mean the scoring will translate to the NHL.

I think he's a 15 goal man and I'm excited to see him grow this year.

Hope he's able to hold up physically

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Oh man

If he becomes a Condra-who-can-score I'd be so, so pumped!

I wasn't a big believer in Hoffman but that's a comparison I can get behind, plus reading his interviews near the end of the season he strikes me as a cerebral player: slow learner because he needs to understand rather than feel his way through things (he's pretty specific about the little details in the interviews: "take a step or two more in certain situations", "go between the legs more" etc...) which might explain why he's been a bit slow to get to speed whenever he makes the jump to the next level

I'm like that myself: I need to be able to understand what"s going on before I get really good at something, instincts alone don't do it for me

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
I've said this before, but I'd love to see a Pageau Hoffman PK tandem.

As a 4th Energy line, Hoffman - Pageau and Lazar would be fun to watch. There is a learning curve for sure, but so much heart - something last year's team was missing. With DaCosta gone, I expect Pageau makes the roster.

Smith can play the LW slot if the Spezza return includes a Top 9 centre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad