Confirmed with Link: Hoffman signed to 1yr, 2-way contract

Midas0

Only the best Scouts
Dec 12, 2009
Peterborough, ON
Ottawa Senators @Senators
#Sens AGM Pierre Dorion tells the media that Mike Hoffman has agreed to terms on a one-year, two-way contract.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Come on Hoffman you could have got a 1 way if you held out a little longer..

Anyways im happy we are keeping this guy, probably my favourite prospect in the last few years :D

now lets Ink Lehner.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I like the deal, it should keep Hoff motivated over the summer.

He's likely guaranteed a spot unless he pulls a Bobby Butler.

The Fuhr*

Good deal... if Hoffman does not make the Sens he will be waived and it only costs the team AHL money if he clears to play in Bingo

The Fuhr*

Should have got a one way. We have a gutted roster.

Nah... he needs to work for his job security... if he can't hack it in the NHL and gets waived he only makes pennies in the AHL then compared to NHL salary.

Helps the budget not being on the hook

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Uhh... "hooray", I guess?

Can't really complain about this contract at all. Hoffman will earn his spot on the team, or he won't.

You've got the opportunity, Mike. Make the best of it!

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Surprised it isn't one-way considering the gutting our top 6 is going to go through

On the other hand I'm not convinced he's truly NHL material so I'm not disappointed

Also might mean that Murray is confident he's going to be able to get a decent top 6 with the Spezza trade and UFA

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Surprised it isn't one-way considering the gutting our top 6 is going to go through

On the other hand I'm not convinced he's truly NHL material so I'm not disappointed

Also might mean that Murray is confident he's going to be able to get a decent top 6 with the Spezza trade and UFA

Also surprised at the two way. Opens the door to a DaCosta type demotion where he never comes back. really POs me that guys are taking spots that developing players need at this point in their projections (Neil, Greening, Phillips).

I'm thinking if the Spezza return is not a centre and DaCosta gone, then Pageau gets a shot with Turris, Smith and Zibanejad. I'd love to see a Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar setup for the first part of the season.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
Also surprised at the two way. Opens the door to a DaCosta type demotion where he never comes back. really POs me that guys are taking spots that developing players need at this point in their projections (Neil, Greening, Phillips).

I'm thinking if the Spezza return is not a centre and DaCosta gone, then Pageau gets a shot with Turris, Smith and Zibanejad. I'd love to see a Hoffman - Pageau - Lazar setup for the first part of the season.

I don't think Greening or Neil are taking away a spot Hoffman could earn

Hoffman has speed but that's it. He's still young enough that he could put it all together but I haven't been impressed by him, he's been ok that's about it.

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
Bryan, during the interview on TSN 1200, essentially stated that the reason he signed a two-way is that they expect him to make the team in camp, and that if he doesn't, they don't expect him to clear waivers. He essentially said he wants, if Hoffman doesn't make the team, to give him a chance to actually play with some other NHL team, which I think is admirable.

The return we'd get on Hoffman, if he didn't make the team, would likely be fairly small, and to allow him to go somewhere he doesn't need to languish in the AHL would be nothing but positive for him. That being said, Bryan expects him to make the team in camp.

From that perspective, the two-way makes a kind of sense for both sides.

Fusbolito

Jan 29, 2012
Damn Murray is too nice sometimes...

Getting something back is better than nothing Bryan!

It's more than a basic metric, though.

Murray, by acquiescing to things like this in the past, has acquired a reputation as a stand-up guy who is loyal to players who are loyal to him in return. The benefit he's likely to receive in any case simply by doing this is more likely to return positively over the course of his GMship than a single sixth rounder or whatever he would get back for a player like Hoffman. People see he's a straight shooter, will give them a fair shot in getting their icetime, and are more willing to do things like come to Ottawa, or take a longer term deal when he wants them to.

Despite what a lot of people say, I think Murray knows what he's doing with respect to issues like the Conacher waive and Hemsky. He's an intelligent guy who's been doing this a long time, and he is more than savvy enough to know when to take risks, and when to be safe. Hemsky was a risk that didn't pan out (not in terms of performance, just in terms of being able to get him to re-sign), and someone like Kyle Turris was a risk that did.

I'm sure not everyone agrees with me, but I'd rather have a GM that takes risks like this than someone who is unwilling to try anything, and is satisfied to maintain the status quo forever.

SaltyPete

May 7, 2014
Very happy we decided to sign Hoffman, I'm expecting relatively big things from him next year.

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
but I'd rather have a GM that takes risks like this than someone who is unwilling to try anything, and is satisfied to maintain the status quo forever.
something about risk, reward. On our budget, we can definitely use the reward.

I too am a bit surprised at the two-way contract

GimmeMyJetpack

Classless.
Jun 25, 2012
Ottawa
Are people still unclear about the difference between one-way and two-way contracts? The only difference is guaranteed NHL salary. That's it.

Both contracts will require him to clear waivers to go down to Bingo.

Two-way just means if he does clear, we save some money while if he plays in Bingo. (Or if he doesn't make the team)

Maybe everyone understood that already but if that's the case, I'm not really sure why people are surprised.

UnHappyDude

Fire Dorion
Jan 11, 2011
Gutted today, clearly not gonna look like this come training camp. Hoffman should be our 13th forward, otherwise Murray didn't have a great off-season.

It all depends on how he performs at camp, but there are currently players on our roster who I would put as 13 before Mike "The Speed" Hoffman

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
It all depends on how he performs at camp, but there are currently players on our roster who I would put as 13 before Mike "The Speed" Hoffman

Like who though? Erik Condra I guess, but I don't think you want to disrupt the 4th line of Greening - Smith - Neil.

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
Are people still unclear about the difference between one-way and two-way contracts? The only difference is guaranteed NHL salary. That's it.

Both contracts will require him to clear waivers to go down to Bingo.

Two-way just means if he does clear, we save some money while if he plays in Bingo. (Or if he doesn't make the team)

Maybe everyone understood that already but if that's the case, I'm not really sure why people are surprised.

Exactly, here is how the converastion went.

BMGM: We want you back, but want you to sign a two-way contract.

Hoff: Why?

BMGM: Because if you don't make the team we are going to waive you. Chances are you will be picked up by another team and get a shot at the NHL still, but if you don't we want to be able to save money on our budget.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Damn Murray is too nice sometimes...

Getting something back is better than nothing Bryan!

We're full on contracts and prospects (like we have to let a Da Costa go). A 6th/7th rounder won't achieve much. If Hoffman doesn't make the very young Sens team (probably the youngest in the NHL soon), he won't have a lot of value and in the end, would have been a very good 5th round pick anyway (already is as he played in the NHL and was good in the AHL)

We are rationalizing fast but I secretly would like to see some people spin this out as a negative. Free laughs are always welcome

sens83

Sep 22, 2009
Melbourne, FL
We're full on contracts and prospects (like we have to let a Da Costa go). A 6th/7th rounder won't achieve much. If Hoffman doesn't make the very young Sens team (probably the youngest in the NHL soon), he won't have a lot of value and in the end, would have been a very good 5th round pick anyway (already is as he played in the NHL and was good in the AHL)

We are rationalizing fast but I secretly would like to see some people spin this out as a negative. Free laughs are always welcome

Actually we are not. A lot of players are RFA and can be let go. Hamilton, Cowick, DD, Sdao, Blood, etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad