HOFers on current roster

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
For years, I had to put up with people in the history section denigrating many of my old favorite players simply because of their offensive numbers.

Guys like Henri Richard and Dave Keon, rated very highly because they were outstanding and I can attest to that. But people tend to glaze over their numbers(And the fact that the Selke did not exist for much of their careers and that they only came in 4th for the Hart on a few occasions) and declare they did not deserve to be ahead of Trottier or Yzerman, etc

Then a perfect modern comparable finally materializes. Toews

Toews is very comparable to Mark Messier and Yzerman to this point in terms of awards.

Messier: 3 cups, 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Hart top 10, No Selke consideration
Toews: 2 Cups (with another chance here), 1 Smythe, 1 Selke (5 top 6 Selke finishes), 3 Hart top 10s.
Yzerman: 6 top 10 Harts, Pearson, No major awards, no stanley cups

People get too caught up in Goals and Assists when comparing an era where goalies sucked and now. Look at the awards that compare them to their peers to see how prolific each player is. Toews is ahead of both of them IMO.

Last edited:

Dark Shadows

Jun 19, 2007
Canada
www.robotnik.com
Toews is very comparable to Mark Messier and Yzerman to this point in terms of awards.

Messier: 3 cups, 1 Conn Smythe, 1 Hart top 10, No Selke consideration
Toews: 2 Cups (with another chance here), 1 Smythe, 1 Selke (5 top 6 Selke finishes), 3 Hart top 10s.
Yzerman: 6 top 10 Harts, Pearson, No major awards, no stanley cups

People get too caught up in Goals and Assists when comparing an era where goalies sucked and now. Look at the awards that compare them to their peers to see how prolific each player is. Toews is ahead of both of them IMO.

?
Messier has 6 Cups, and a Smythe with 2 other smythe worthy performances. And 2 Hart Trophies as well as a Hart runner up. Captained 2 different teams to a cup.

Yzerman has 3 Cups and a Smythe and Selke as well as several high Selke finishes, as well as a Pearson and one of the highest scoring seasons ever under his belt. His pearson season is as good as a Hart in any other year where Gretzky/Lemieux don't have otherworldly seasons

sharkhawk

Jun 1, 2013
Aurora, IL
Anything is possible but teams don't take retiring numbers lightly. I know he is talented but lets cool our jets for a second with the retiring of 72. This is an original 6 team and we only have 7 numbers retired.

Here is a list of current numbers retired.

Tony Esposito #35 November 20, 1988
Glenn Hall #1 November 20, 1988
Bobby Hull #9 December 18, 1983
Keith Magnuson #3 November 12, 2008
Stan Mikita #21 October 19, 1980
Pierre Pilote #3 November 12, 2008
Denis Savard #18 March 19, 1998

One of these is not like the others, one of these does not belong. Sorry, any time I see this list I think of the old childrens song. And I loved the guy who doesn't belong there.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I said I was going out on a limb to call something a possibility.

If he's a major factor in getting us one or more Cups, then yeah, I'd call it a possibility. I'm not saying I'm expecting another Bobby Hull. I'm just saying it could happen and I'm not discounting it entirely.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I said I was going out on a limb to call something a possibility.

If he's a major factor in getting us one or more Cups, then yeah, I'd call it a possibility. I'm not saying I'm expecting another Bobby Hull. I'm just saying it could happen and I'm not discounting it entirely.

I get what you are saying but there really is very little chance. 7 guys have their number retired. 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad