Proposal: Hodgson for Mike Richards and a pick?

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
IIRC Richards has $3M actual due the last 2 years. A buy out would be $1M per yr over 4 years.

The buy-out cost is far less important than the buy-out cap hit. While a buy-out with two years remaining on Richards's contract would cost $1M a year for four years, the cap hit would be $3.75M for the first two years of the buy-out (that is, the remaining years on the contract).

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
He is a vet with championship experience, can provide shelter in the middle 6 while all these picks and prospects we have work their way up. Just because he isn't good enough for a deep Kings team doesn't mean who won't be one of the 6 best forwards in Buffalo.

Mike Richards isn't good enough to play over Stoll, who is having a horrible year or Nick Shore.

He would not be one of Buffalo's best 6 forwards next year.
He would not shelter the prospects.
He would eat up $5.75M for the next five years being a step slow on a third line he turns into a possession blackhole.

war-on-ice.com
Player Comparison Even Strength 5v5 2012-13 to 2014-15

jdiTwem.jpg

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Mike Richards isn't good enough to play over Stoll, who is having a horrible year or Nick Shore.

He would eat up $5.75M for the next five years being a step slow on a third line he turns into a possession blackhole.

war-on-ice.com

jdiTwem.jpg

The article you linked advocates Richards over Stoll.

Also I am not a fancy-stat person so can someone explain what the graph should represent? and how does it compensate while comparing a player on a championship team vs players from the worst team? ty :)

edit* I mean if Richards has a bad corsi because the Kings are always ahead and he is always on the ice when opponent is in pond hockey desperation mode vs the Sabres always being behind & facing a team that is protecting a lead or not pressuring.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt

war-on-ice.com

jdiTwem.jpg

When it comes to Mike Richards I am not sure a stat comparison is the way to go. Richards can go two ways. He can continue to party and have a good time and take 1M salary(most washups are offered) in the NHL or he can in the off season decide he wants to be a good NHL player again and get together with someone like Gary Roberts for off season training. There is two outcomes.

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
Also I am not a fancy-stat person so can someone explain what the graph should represent? and how does it compensate while comparing a player on a championship team vs players from the worst team? ty :)

The chart is basically a send up - my take on Sabres with similar value to Richards. Corsi relative is best used comparing players' on the same team effectiveness at driving possession.
You should ignore it unless you want to see how Flynn compares to Mitchell.

If you compare Richards to his teammates, you will find he gets almost the highest offensive zone starts, faces lower competition and has much worse possession numbers.
Outside of the 2012 playoffs, he has been the six million dollar passenger. For a peak at a Kings blogger's evaluation of Richards' seasons (with some advance stats and explanations)
look here: 2012, 2013, 2014

FYI - you can find Corsi numbers that take into account score/situation - "Close" , leading by 1, trailing by 1, etc. at stats.hockeyanalysis.com

When it comes to Mike Richards I am not sure a stat comparison is the way to go. Richards can go two ways. He can continue to party and have a good time and take 1M salary(most washups are offered) in the NHL or he can in the off season decide he wants to be a good NHL player again and get together with someone like Gary Roberts for off season training. There is two outcomes.

Dean Lombardi thought pride, competitiveness, being a winner were more important that stats last summer as well.
Past performance/intangibles overshadowed the current and projected future state of Richards' abilities/game in summer 2014. So far it has not worked out well.

After making a commitment to Lombardi/the Kings, Richards supposedly worked out hard all last summer so conditioning should not have been an issue
at the beginning of this season. Yet Richards role and TOI dropped each month. Richards under performed his salary and his teammates his entire time in LA
and that downward spiral quicken in the last 1.5 seasons. Richard is just the husk of the player he was in Philly. Paying him a $1M
is only an option if the Kings buy him out.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
The chart is basically a send up - my take on Sabres with similar value to Richards. Corsi relative is best used comparing players' on the same team effectiveness at driving possession.
You should ignore it unless you want to see how Flynn compares to Mitchell.

If you compare Richards to his teammates, you will find he gets almost the highest offensive zone starts, faces lower competition and has much worse possession numbers.
Outside of the 2012 playoffs, he has been the six million dollar passenger. For a peak at a Kings blogger's evaluation of Richards' seasons (with some advance stats and explanations)
look here: 2012, 2013, 2014

This is where stats can be flawed. You are looking at it like he had it easy. Perhaps the coach giving one of his better offensive players a chance to score.

People read the chart and say oh high offensive zone starts then he must not be good defensively. It can also mean he has the best chance to score so putting him out for offensive zone starts does that.

I do not know what you are trying to prove by bringing up Lambardi, the kings won 2 stanley cups and Richards played a role in both of those.
Almost every coach says they don't use advanced stats to decide who is on the ice and the fans are crazy with their advanced stats. This is one of those times. Richard is 29, plenty left in him.

I would gladly pay him a million when he gets bought out.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
I do not know what you are trying to prove by bringing up Lambardi, the kings won 2 stanley cups and Richards played a role in both of those.
Almost every coach says they don't use advanced stats to decide who is on the ice and the fans are crazy with their advanced stats. This is one of those times. Richard is 29, plenty left in him.

I would gladly pay him a million when he gets bought out.

I think you're missing the point here. Richards was definitely useful to the Kings in their first Cup run. Last year, his play had dropped off significantly, and most pundits predicted that Lombardi would take advantage of the compliance buy out last summer before it expired. Lombardi met with Richards after the season, and Richards convinced him that he would work out like a fiend over the summer and come back better than ever. Lombardi, out of optimism and loyalty, didn't exercise the CBO. Richards came to camp supposedly in good shape, and he has sucked all season.

The belief is not that he is out of shape or partying too much. The theory is that his body is just beat up from years of highly-physical play, and he does not have the natural skills to compensate for that.

As it turned out, it was a huge mistake not to CBO Richards, and as much as I love the game he used to play, I do not want him and that contract on the Sabres.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad