Proposal: Hodgson for Mike Richards and a pick?

Clock

May 13, 2006
Demonstrably no.

If they wanted him they would've picked him up on waivers without losing Hodgson or a pick.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
Demonstrably no.

If they wanted him they would've picked him up on waivers without losing Hodgson or a pick.

That's actually not the case. When asked about Richards, Murray said they weren't going to put in a waiver claim because they are concerned about the number of contracts and a trade would be the route to acquire a player like that.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
That's actually not the case. When asked about Richards, Murray said they weren't going to put in a waiver claim because they are concerned about the number of contracts and a trade would be the route to acquire a player like that.

Translation, worried about the tank. Maybe in the offseason if he puts down the crack pipe

ZeroPT*

Demonstrably no.

No. They would want to shift a bad contract before taking on another. And contract count.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I really don't see the point of flipping one expensive player who isn't very good in an NHL lineup for another expensive player who isn't very good in an NHL lineup. Adding a pick from our side...no thanks.

As was stated before, we could have had Richards for free if we really wanted him at all.

SamuraiArt

Balso Par Big John S
Sep 17, 2013
Buffalo
I really don't see the point of flipping one expensive player who isn't very good in an NHL lineup for another expensive player who isn't very good in an NHL lineup. Adding a pick from our side...no thanks.

As was stated before, we could have had Richards for free if we really wanted him at all.
I think we'd be getting the pick. But I agree, I wouldn't do this deal. Richards is on his last legs, Hodgson can still turn it around - here or somewhere else

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Would like Richards on the Sabres, his contract won't be an issue because most of our young guys will be RFA for most of it. He is a vet with championship experience, can provide shelter in the middle 6 while all these picks and prospects we have work their way up. Just because he isn't good enough for a deep Kings team doesn't mean who won't be one of the 6 best forwards in Buffalo.

I wouldn't think a Hodgson deal could work. He wouldn't give the Kings enough cap relief moving forward, wouldn't have a role in their line up and wouldn't help them fill a need on defense. If Hodgson is moved, it would be to a team that have a need for young forwards and cap room, like the Coyotes or Devils.

It would probably be a UFA defender or some RFA in Rochester for Richards and a sweetener. Kings get a contract off the books and cap room to sign bodies in the summer, whatever the Kings add to Richards would depend on how much salary they receive. Sending Benoit would bring a bigger + than Mezaros, because of the additional cap room.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
I think we'd be getting the pick. But I agree, I wouldn't do this deal. Richards is on his last legs, Hodgson can still turn it around - here or somewhere else

Thanks, I somehow missed that we were getting the pick, not giving it. That makes it somewhat better, depending on the value of the pick we would receive...but I'm still pretty firmly anti-Richards. He's all done and super expensive. I suppose as a 4th line grinder and veteran leader in the room, he has some value, but still...that contract.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The Kings won't want Hodgson's contract back. That's why they waived Richards. All the trade offers they got included taking back a bad contract and they didn't want that.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
kings have to worry about recapture don't they?

Yes

Would like Richards on the Sabres, his contract won't be an issue because most of our young guys will be RFA for most of it. He is a vet with championship experience, can provide shelter in the middle 6 while all these picks and prospects we have work their way up. Just because he isn't good enough for a deep Kings team doesn't mean who won't be one of the 6 best forwards in Buffalo.

disagree....

Richards contract is for 5 yrs---in that time we would have:

Girgensons new contract in 2016 (likely $4M or so over 6 yrs)
Ristolainen new contract in 2016 (likely $4M or so over 6 yrs)
Zadorov new contract in 2017 (similar to ristos)
Pysyk 3rd contract in 2017
Reinhart new contract in 2018 (who know how much potentially---second contract $5M+)
McEichel contract in 2018 (who knows how much the 2nd contract wil be--north of $6M per)
Mccabe 3rd contract in 2018 (who knows how much)
In 2018 you have potential 2nd contracts for the other players joining the team in 2015
In 2019 you have players from the 2013 and 2014 draft joining the club in 2016

By 2019 Buffalo has a goalie locked up for 5 yrs at north of $5M per

When all these contracts are said and done in 2019 Buffalo would likely be near the cap with Ennis, Myers, Moulson, and Hodgson in their final years If some of them traded for picks/ELCs or walk away Buffalo could have some cap relief in 2020 replacing those players with players start their careers in 2014-2017.

IIRC Richards has $3M actual due the last 2 years. A buy out would be $1M per yr over 4 years.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
The Kings won't want Hodgson's contract back. That's why they waived Richards. All the trade offers they got included taking back a bad contract and they didn't want that.

The Kings could buy-out Hodgson relatively cheaply, though. If there are no other options for the Kings to get rid of Richards, exchanging his contract for another bad contract that'd be easier to get rid of makes sense from their end.

That said, Richards's contract and the way it's structured makes this completely unappealing to me. There's not a very high chance that Richards is worth acquiring and considering the risk involved, taking on his contract is a non-starter. There's no need for the Sabres to make a move that's very likely to end up as just a bunch of dead cap space. It's not a deal to make to get rid of Hodgson's contract (which is much better and easier to dump). It's only a deal that makes sense if you think Richards is going to be able to reclaim his form and I don't think that's the case.

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
As a Kings fan, Richards is not what he was. He is only 30 tho. IF he gets motivated
/in shape/finds his mojo he could still be a great player. He wasn't even terrible this year but he hasn't played like a 5m a year man. Kopitar/ Brown/or Carter have underachieved this year too.

Richards has also been playing with plugs for forth line minutes.

Again, not excuses but I think he has something left in the tank but that price tag is too risky. It's sad really for someone with such a great track record.

Has CH really been that bad for you guys?

30Yonge

Jan 24, 2014
If the Kings are including pick #10 in 2015 and Richards makes a solemn pledge to retire after 3 years then fine.

Washed up player + horrible contract = very bad idea

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
disagree....

When all these contracts are said and done in 2019 Buffalo would likely be near the cap with Ennis, Myers, Moulson, and Hodgson in their final years If some of them traded for picks/ELCs or walk away Buffalo could have some cap relief in 2020 replacing those players with players start their careers in 2014-2017.

IIRC Richards has $3M actual due the last 2 years. A buy out would be $1M per yr over 4 years.

Oh, I see what you mean. I was thinking differently about the contracts. First they would have the bridge deals, and before the 'real money contracts' happen, Gionta and Gorges would be gone, then Moulson would be gone, so at the end Richards would be the only one left. Reinhart would be coming out of his bridge deal the same year Richards expires. Zemgus, Grigorenko, Risto and Zads bridge deals are staggered as are the grampa contracts. RFA keeps them relatively cost controlled and with the amount of prospects that could be coming in, cap really doesn't seem like a concern at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rennes vs Brest
    Rennes vs Brest
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $61.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Mainz vs FC Köln
    Mainz vs FC Köln
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $380.00