Hockey's Future's Top 50 NHL Prospects, 41-50

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Good read.

The only one I'd wonder about, and know something of, is Oulette being so far down. I figured he'd be farther up. I'll hold my toungue on critcism so far, but a lot will depend on how many other goalies do make this list.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Chimaera said:
Good read.

The only one I'd wonder about, and know something of, is Oulette being so far down. I figured he'd be farther up. I'll hold my toungue on critcism so far, but a lot will depend on how many other goalies do make this list.

Ouellet's stock gone down? I don't grasp how, he's been great up here.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Pouliot was a suprise first rounder? To whom? Even HF had him at 16.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
EroCaps said:
Ouellet's stock gone down? I don't grasp how, he's been great up here.

Right, that's what I mean. I think if anything, in the few games he has shown here, he has shown he's on track to be a stud in the NHL.

I want to see how many other goalies are on the list before I say that he should've been a lot higher.

kyle

Aug 15, 2003
Toronto
Chimaera said:
I want to see how many other goalies are on the list before I say that he should've been a lot higher.
I would put him pretty close to Emery if I were ranking him so based on 41-50 he seems to be ranked okay.

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
kyle said:
I would put him pretty close to Emery if I were ranking him so based on 41-50 he seems to be ranked okay.

Emery is more than capable of being an NHL backup right now..he's a future starter for the Sens.

Coffey77

Mar 12, 2002
Visit site
Can't wait to see the entire list. Surprised to see that Detroit is mentioned that they have a lot of prospects on the list.

Willing to bet that a lot of posters will claim all the people who did the poll are Red Wing fans too.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Thanks for the work.
I agree with how the guys rank except I'm probably biased towards goalies because I'd rank Emery and Ouellet a lot closer to top 30.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Agreed. Thanks for the hard work guys.

However, it concerns me that Magnus Kahnberg wasn't represented yet. Either HF is really high on him, or they missed him all together.

Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
ouch it starts very bad for montreal :P
Perezhogin is right after Kastitsyn in my mind in terms of potential and he's ranked 46 ... well .. i wont complain .. im just in shock right now ... ;)

tomerez

Mar 16, 2003
Toronto, ON
Visit site
FlyersGuy69 said:
when can we expect a complete list?
thanks.

HockeysFuture said:
We’ll be working our way down from the 50th slot, with a new installment being released every couple of days over the course of the next week or so. Leave ‘em wanting more, as the old show business saying goes.

Caniacforever said:
However, it concerns me that Magnus Kahnberg wasn't represented yet. Either HF is really high on him, or they missed him all together.
What makes him worthy of top 50 status :dunno:

Quagmier

Feb 6, 2003
pics.rapecity.net
I'm curious as to why a prospect (Perezhogin in this case) can be ranked so high after his draft year, then go on to have a great season in Russia and perform excelently at the World Juniors, then be ranked even higher. Then, he comes to North America, and not only acclimates himself to the North American game, but puts up outstanding numbers for an AHL rookie as a key ingredient to a winning team, and then gets dropped 20-25 spots or so? :dunno:

Is there another reason other than the fact that more draftees are considered?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
tomerez said:
What makes him worthy of top 50 status :dunno:

Kahnberg has made quite a few lists with his breakout season this year. He led the SEL in goal scoring and points this season with an amazing 33 goals in 50 games.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/scoring1.php

As is seen there, he won the SEL goal scoring race by an amazing 9 goals and set a Frolunda team record in that category, set by previous Frolunda standout Kristian Huselius.

He has garnered comparisons to Daniel Alfredsson from what i've heard.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=303

I've already read a few publications that have ranked him in the top 50 by a pretty comfortable margin. I can't find those at the moment, but i'd appreciate it if somebody could help me out with that.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Caniacforever said:
Kahnberg has made quite a few lists with his breakout season this year. He led the SEL in goal scoring and points this season with an amazing 33 goals in 50 games.

I've already read a few publications that have ranked him in the top 50 by a pretty comfortable margin. I can't find those at the moment, but i'd appreciate it if somebody could help me out with that.

Fairly sure that THN didn't even have him in their top 75 but I can check at some point...

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Quagmier said:
I'm curious as to why a prospect (Perezhogin in this case) can be ranked so high after his draft year, then go on to have a great season in Russia and perform excelently at the World Juniors, then be ranked even higher. Then, he comes to North America, and not only acclimates himself to the North American game, but puts up outstanding numbers for an AHL rookie as a key ingredient to a winning team, and then gets dropped 20-25 spots or so? :dunno:

Is there another reason other than the fact that more draftees are considered?

Well part of the reason may be that one of the deepest drafts in the past 10-15 years was just added this year to the prospect list. You'd expect most of the guys that went in the 1st round in 2003 to be ahead of the majority of the 2002 and 2001 draftees.

Not saying that's the reason but it's a theory.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Also, the reason he hasn't been hyped as much is because there aren't many Hurricanes fans here to do that for him. Here is Henrik Zetterberg's final SEL season:

2001-02 Timra IK SEL 48 10 22 32

Magnus Kahnberg:

2003-04 Vastra Frolunda SEL 50 33 16 49 20

It's just another case of being a Carolina prospect. :p

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Flames Draft Watcher said:
Fairly sure that THN didn't even have him in their top 75 but I can check at some point...

I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. Though, I feel that HF is more in tune with prospecst than a lot of these publications. Especially when we're talking about prospects from abroad. I'm not defending Kahnberg to the death or anything, but he honestly should be considered a top prospect at this point and it shocks me to see him get so little love.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Caniacforever said:
I wouldn't be surprised, honestly. Though, I feel that HF is more in tune with prospecst than a lot of these publications. Especially when we're talking about prospects from abroad. I'm not defending Kahnberg to the death or anything, but he honestly should be considered a top prospect at this point and it shocks me to see him get so little love.

Apparently if you projected him to be in the 41-50 range, it is understandable why he was left off. If he is susposed to be in that range then he may not be THAT great of a prospect. Also, if you are expecting him right around this area, maybe he was 51 or 52, which would be right near where you expect him. Anywhere within the margin of 10 should be sufficent when talking about picks 40-50 or so.

And who is to say that he isnt rated higher than that either? The list hasnt come out yet, so I would hold the comments until seeing the final list because just perhaps, he is on it?

Hoprfully Welch is on the list as well. i would think that those would be the two Pens (obviously Whitney will be up there).

#44_delivers

Dec 21, 2003
edmonton
Kryoptix said:
ouch it starts very bad for montreal :P
Perezhogin is right after Kastitsyn in my mind in terms of potential and he's ranked 46 ... well .. i wont complain .. im just in shock right now ... ;)
don't worry about it higgins and kats has more potential the perezhogin which is hard to believe becuase of how much potential perez has.

Hitman*

Good job!

I enjouy the more in depth reviews of the farther down prospects as opposed to last years, won't really make a critique on any of the rankings until a complete list is up, but excellent job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad