Hockey's Future Top 50 Prospects: 11-25

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Levitate said:
i personally dont' really see why people think schwarz is so much better than montoya or other goalie prospects out there...i think it just comes down to personal preference (and there's nothing really wrong with that)

as for blackburn and the possibility of trading him because of montoya...well, it's more likely the rangers trade him because of the sticky situation he's ended up in than strictly because of montoya. blackburn only has this year left of waiver exemption (assuming he plays the second half of the year after he's finally back from his injury). sooo, he only gets half a year in the AHL to shake off the rust and prepare himself for being a NHL goalie once again. then he has to be protected, can't be sent down...it's sink or swim. but the rangers will give him a shot i'm sure, hopefully he can make the best of it.

Basically, thats what it boils down to in Schwarz vs Montoya debates...personal preference. Neither goaltender has me too excited about the player they can become but (just to reiterate) I see a bit more in Schwarz provided he can get focused.

As far as Blackburn, lemme just say I'm rootin for him to fall out of favor in New York (I'm aware of his wavier status and the short time frame he has to proof his worth to Sather and the fans) so that the Sharks (please oh please) will take a flyer on him and bring him to SJ.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Reveille said:
But those goalies, IMO, are much more likely to REACH that potential. Schwarz might never make it higher then the ECHL, where as I think the above mentioned goalies are pretty safe bets to at least be a backup.

I mean, it's not like Schwarz is doing anything besides being mediocre in the Dub right now.

Yeh, but Schwarz has probaly the higher ceiling. I'd rather take a gamble on a potentially very good starting goalie than take the safer goalie who could just be an average starter or a backup. Goaltending is the most important position in hockey, right. Schwarz is the bigger risk but is the bigger reward and eventually could be the difference between being a good side or a very good side.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
eh i dunno, but then i can say montoya's big game potential makes him a more favorable prospect cuz you'd want that if you're playing for the cup :) so yeah, personal preference...

as for blackburn in san jose...why? you already have nabakov and toskula, cmon, you don't need a monopoly on all the goalies :)

i hope he makes it back from injury ok...man it really blows that he got hurt like he did, he was reportedly looking great going into training camp that year

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Levitate said:
based on what though? people say this but what are you really basing it on?

Based on the view that he has more potential. I agree though that it is an opinion and pherhaps not a fact. Thats what i believe. Montoya may end up being better. i dunno.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
turnbuckle said:
And oh yeah; Leafaholix - always amusing to see you comment on how some homers overhype their own prospects, yet you declare two of your own (Coco and Steen) to be the least appreciated (along with the top prospect in the world). Alwaysa good for a laugh. P.S. If Coco becomes a better NHLer than Higgins (the "disgrace" of the top 50); I'll eat a Leafs cap.

Im pretty sure the guy was joking there.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Levitate said:
as for blackburn in san jose...why? you already have nabakov and toskula, cmon, you don't need a monopoly on all the goalies :)

Cuz I can see Blackburn giving the Sharks a Cup...something I don't see with Nabby or Toskala. I rate those two in the category of what Montoya can be.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
well it's great someone has faith in blackburn at least, hah. i know a lot of rangers fans wrote him off because he didn't set the world on fire as a 18 year old and because he, *gasp*, showed flaws in his game, again as a 18 year old in the NHL.

he's pretty much the forgotten goalie at this point...though being out for over a year now due to injury is definatly part of that. he's got a lot of skill though...just gotta see how he rebounds from this injury. supposedly he should be fine, he's just getting his arm back up to strength cuz he lost so much muscle...but you never know whether to believe the press reports on injuries or not

turnbuckle*

rt said:
Im pretty sure the guy was joking there.

Where? About Higgins being in the top 50 being a disgrace, about people overhyping their own prospects, or about Steen and Coco being underappreciated? If he was joking about Steen and Coco, being the least appreciated prospects, it isn't the first time he's "joked" about it. Hell; I hazard to guess that at least 500-1,000 of his 17,000+ posts have been dedicated to informing the rest of us ingnorami about how fabulous Steen and Coco are. For many reasons, I still fail to share his enthusiasm, especially when it comes to that feared crease clearer Coco.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Levitate said:
based on what though? people say this but what are you really basing it on?

I think that he has a better skillset and what he lacks is the focus. At least thats my basis for it. Montoya is above average in both areas which is why I can agree he's the safer prospect n more likely to reach his potential. Schwarz matures his game and I think he could be a top 10 goalie.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Blackburn still has shot at the NHL level. He is only, what 21 and he's being called a bust. It is still to earlier to tell with him. NYR fans should be more patient with him. You're expecting a young goalie to set the world on fire.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Levitate said:
well it's great someone has faith in blackburn at least, hah. i know a lot of rangers fans wrote him off because he didn't set the world on fire as a 18 year old and because he, *gasp*, showed flaws in his game, again as a 18 year old in the NHL.

he's pretty much the forgotten goalie at this point...though being out for over a year now due to injury is definatly part of that. he's got a lot of skill though...just gotta see how he rebounds from this injury. supposedly he should be fine, he's just getting his arm back up to strength cuz he lost so much muscle...but you never know whether to believe the press reports on injuries or not

I'm never one to give up on an injured prospect provided they have the head for it. And thats Blackburn's best attribute. Sick skillset and even better mental game...oh baby. I think he could be a top guy.

rt

May 13, 2004
Im a bit surprised that Ballard made the top 50 list, while LeNeveu didn't. I was under the impression that LeNeveu was the both the safer prospect and the one with more potential within the Phoenix organization.

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
Hero of Tragedy said:
Cuz I can see Blackburn giving the Sharks a Cup...something I don't see with Nabby or Toskala. I rate those two in the category of what Montoya can be.
Wow, really?

I think Nabokov is already better then Blackburn will ever be, and Toskala is almost at that level.

Still, it would be a good idea if the Sharks could pick him up cheap, Toskala is probably going to force a trade soon.

rt

May 13, 2004
turnbuckle said:
Where? About Higgins being in the top 50 being a disgrace, about people overhyping their own prospects, or about Steen and Coco being underappreciated? If he was joking about Steen and Coco, being the least appreciated prospects, it isn't the first time he's "joked" about it. Hell; I hazard to guess that at least 500-1,000 of his 17,000+ posts have been dedicated to informing the rest of us ingnorami about how fabulous Steen and Coco are. For many reasons, I still fail to share his enthusiasm, especially when it comes to that feared crease clearer Coco.

I meant about Steen and "Coco"( :lol ) being the only underrated prospects on the entire list. Maybe he was serious, but I took it as a joke and I laughed. If he was serious it's even funnier, I guess.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
Hero of Tragedy said:
I think that he has a better skillset and what he lacks is the focus. At least thats my basis for it. Montoya is above average in both areas which is why I can agree he's the safer prospect n more likely to reach his potential. Schwarz matures his game and I think he could be a top 10 goalie.

Ok....my question is how many complete Schwarz games have you seen?

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
J17ster said:
You're either a Flames fan, a very optimistic dude or you know Phanuef in person.
:help:
How ignorant. Use the help sign on yourself pal. If you don't see the potential in a player fine, don't act like everyone shares your tiny opinion.

Phaneuf can do it all, and at a high level.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site
J17ster said:
How many complete games have you seen Schwarz play?

none....I wouldnt know him if he was sitting next to me (well...maybe I would)...but to dissect his game the way he did one would think he had seen at least dozens of his games

as for me...you will never hear me talk like that about a player I have never seen (a good amount of)...past or present

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
MrMastodonFarm said:
How ignorant. Use the help sign on yourself pal. If you don't see the potential in a player fine, don't act like everyone shares your tiny opinion.

Phaneuf can do it all, and at a high level.

When! When has he done anything at a high level. Whl is not the Nhl. When he has done something at the highest level tell me and i'll beleive you. Phanuef may be a good prospect (not great) but he can't do it all. Few players can do it all which counts Phanuef out.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
Toivonen is better than Montoya and Ouellet!! Toivonen should almost be 10 spots lower.
Stuart isn't even there!!!WTF mate!!! And it appears so many think the same way!!

MrMastodonFarm*

Jul 5, 2004
J17ster said:
When! When has he done anything at a high level. Whl is not the Nhl. When he has done something at the highest level tell me and i'll beleive you. Phanuef may be a good prospect (not great) but he can't do it all. Few players can do it all which counts Phanuef out.
Phaneuf has offence, defence, hitting, leadership, etc etc etc, he is the total package. A franchise type of blueliner.

You don't see it, meh, thats okay, you will soon. :)

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
rt said:
Im a bit surprised that Ballard made the top 50 list, while LeNeveu didn't. I was under the impression that LeNeveu was the both the safer prospect and the one with more potential within the Phoenix organization.

That one surprised me too, I'd put Ballard in the 60-75 range on a top 100 list, which still makes him an excellent prospect. It's also a bit irritating as the Sabres lack quality defense prospects and traded him. :D

I'm glad I'm not involved in the ratings business, but I would suggest in the future a separate list for goalies (top 10) and use the top 50 just for skaters. Goalies are "different". It's like allowing cats to compete in a dog show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad