Phaneuf
Suter
Horton
Lehtonen
Zherdev
Vanek
Michalek

?

Which would leave him out of the top 50.

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Still am amazed Henrik Lundqvist doesnt get any respect. Hes better than Montoya.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
NYRangers said:
What does age have to do with anything? Younger doesnt equal better.

When talking about POTENTIAL, I don't see the relevence in one player currently being better then another. We're talking about upside, not who is currently a better goaltender. An older goaltender obviously has had a longer time to develop his skills.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Leafaholix said:
Can't see Mark Stuart in the top 10.

Ovechkin
Malkin
Fleury
Phaneuf
Suter
Horton
Lehtonen
Zherdev
Vanek
Michalek

?

Which would leave him out of the top 50.
I agree. There must be an error.

Prucha73

Aaron Vickers said:
When talking about POTENTIAL, I don't see the relevence in one player currently being better then another. We're talking about upside, not who is currently a better goaltender. An older goaltender obviously has had a longer time to develop his skills.

How does Jeff Drouin-Deslauriers make the top 50 while Lundqvist does not? Makes no sense.

jcorb58

Sep 28, 2004
My Top 25 would of been
1-Ovechkin
2-Lehtonen
3-Zherdev
4-Malkin
5-Phaneuf
6-Fleury
7-Vanek
8-Horton
9-Carter
10-Suter
11-Barker
12-Coburn
13-Semin
14-Parise
15-Micheluk
16-Tiovenan
17-Brown
18-Stewart
19-Kostitsyn
20-Montoya
21-Stuart
22-Getzlaf
23-Tjutin
24-O'Sullivan
25-Babchuk

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Aaron Vickers said:

You honestly think the other goalies on the list will be leading their Country to the WC at 22? Not only that but be stoning the top NHL'ers at that age? You think the other goalies listed have a higher ceiling?

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Aaron Vickers said:
He's also got a few years on Montoya, does he not?

Aaron Vickers said:
I don't want to sound harsh.. I appreciate these lists. But... aren't you contradicting yourself when you put a 23 year old Ouellet ahead of Montoya?

leafaholix*

TML said:
I agree. There must be an error.
No error, when you see Whitney and Grebeshkov in the later stages of the list, Mark Stuart shouldn't be in the top 25.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
I mean there is an error by not including Mark Stuart in the top 50 prospects list. He is a solid defensive prospect, much like Colaiacovo. I know Stuart isn't a top 10 prospect. IMO, Stuart should've been between 15-35.

I agree with your top 10, Leafaholix.

leafaholix*

TML said:
I mean there is an error by not including Mark Stuart in the top 50 prospects list. He is a solid defensive prospect, much like Colaiacovo. I know Stuart isn't a top 10 prospect. IMO, Stuart should've been between 15-35.

I agree with your top 10, Leafaholix.
I can't say I agree, Stuart is a solid prospect. But his upside doesn't match up with the likes of Grebeshkov, Whitney, Colaiacovo, etc...

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Leafaholix said:
I can't say I agree, Stuart is a solid prospect. But his upside doesn't match up with the likes of Grebeshkov, Whitney, Colaiacovo, etc...
Stuart was #15 last year. You don't think he is a top 50 prospect, this year?

leafaholix*

TML said:
Don't know what they based their rankings on, but Grebeshkov was #16 and he fell to #44 after a fine season in the AHL and a stint with the Kings.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Maybe this is homerish, but no Lundqvist in the top 50 has to be the most glaring omission. Personally I think he's underrated by most Ranger fans too, including myself. While certainly not a top 10, and possibly not a top 20, to be left out of the top 50 is a bit excessive. It's the opinion of many people that he may just be the most underrated prospect in the entire NHL because he's never had the benefit of hype.

I know the big question mark is his ability to make the transition to NA ice, but age shouldn't really be a factor. I just come he comes over a proves a great deal of people wrong.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
TML said:
I don't want to sound harsh.. I appreciate these lists. But... aren't you contradicting yourself when you put a 23 year old Ouellet ahead of Montoya?

I'm not contradicting myself at all. In fact, I wasn't even a part of the Top 50 Group.

It's entirely possible though, that the group felt the upside of Ouellet is greater thent hat of Montoya.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
TML said:

Exactly.

And if you use the argument that Al Montoya's leading his team to a WJC championship is critical to him being ranked inside the top-20, then there is no excuse for Stuart not to be in the top-50. He's been even better so far this year than he was last year. And if the rankings are based on what happened last year, then how do you justify leaving off the captain of Team USA?

If Stuart is top-10, then I'd say that's tool high. Hannu Toivonen is Boston's top prospect, and Stuart is a close No. 2 in my opinion (and that of others), but to have Toivonen at 23 and Stuart inside the top-10 doesn't jive. Nor does having Toivonen at 23 and Stuart not even inside the top-50.

But, these lists are subjective. I give the staff credit for putting them together, even though I disagree with some of them. At the same time, it just appears that some players are put on the list based on where they are drafted.

TML

Dec 13, 2003
Hamilton
Aaron Vickers said:
I'm not contradicting myself at all. In fact, I wasn't even a part of the Top 50 Group.

It's entirely possible though, that the group felt the upside of Ouellet is greater thent hat of Montoya.
OK. Fair enough. :)

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
NYRangers said:
You honestly think the other goalies on the list will be leading their Country to the WC at 22? Not only that but be stoning the top NHL'ers at that age? You think the other goalies listed have a higher ceiling?

What I think is irrelevent to the list. I wasn't a part of the Top 50 Group.

Kubera55

Mar 15, 2004
TML said:

I think I have to second this one. . . I'm actually fine with where Montoya got slotted, and that Lundqvist didn't make the list. But Ouellet has hardly dominated the AHL in his lengthy stay there. Other than being a 1st round pick, I really wonder what guys like him (and Ahonen) have that makes them stick on these lists despite years of not really making much noise.

I mean, they are still good prospects, put top 50? Top 25? Ehhhh not so much. At least I don't think so . . .

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
Kubera55 said:
I think I have to second this one. . . I'm actually fine with where Montoya got slotted, and that Lundqvist didn't make the list. But Ouellet has hardly dominated the AHL in his lengthy stay there. Other than being a 1st round pick, I really wonder what guys like him (and Ahonen) have that makes them stick on these lists despite years of not really making much noise.

I mean, they are still good prospects, put top 50? Top 25? Ehhhh not so much. At least I don't think so . . .
I just have a problem with Ouellet being number 49 last year, then moving up to number 19 this year. He should be somewhere on the list though.

leafaholix*

flyers guy said:
I just have a problem with Ouellet being number 49 last year, then moving up to number 19 this year. He should be somewhere on the list though.
Well, haven't you caught on... playing in the NHL makes you elite!

:shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->