Hockey's Biggest "What if"?

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
What if in the summer of 95 Neil Smith decides to trade Segei Zubov and Petr Nedved for either Temmu Selanne or Keith Tkchauck.What if the other rumored deal (Kovalev and Matteau for Shanahan goes down). Do we see another cup or 2 come to ny in the 90s

Last edited:

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
What if Tikhonov didn't pull Tretiak?

What if Fetisov defected?

What if the arbiter sent Lindros to the Rangers (believe it was Kovalev, James Patrick, Vanbiesbrouck,and cash to Quebec).

or, What if Lindros could speak/was willing to learn French?

What if Mario didn't buy the Penguins?

What if Colorado didn't match the offer-sheet to Sakic or Detroit to Federov?

Pominville Knows

Sep 28, 2012
Down Under
What if Danny Briere and Chris Drury remained in Buffalo after two straight conference finals? Pominville could remain on a line with Danny and maybe do better than his Lady Byng-finalist go in 07-08 with the 80 points.
Team also had Ryan Miller, Vanek, Derek Roy, Hecht, Tim Connolly, Numminen, Lydman, later Myers, Stafford, Gaustad, Tallinder, Spacek, Sekera, Brian Campbell and Kalinin.

Merya

Jokerit & Finland; anti-theist
Sep 23, 2008
Helsinki
What if the best from the east block were free to come play already in the 70s and 80s when some in NHL started to seriously consider European players? Probably after summit series, which in this scenario still goes as in real history.

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Probably already mentioned, but if the Seals didn't trade their first-round draft pick in 1970 and got Lafleur...

What if the NHL voted in favor of Jerry Seltzer's group to buy the Seals instead of Charlie Finley in 1970? Would Bill Torrey have stayed and built a competitive team centered around Lafleur?

Reactions: SealsFan

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
What if the Sabres had just 1 more healthy D in G7 against the Canes in 05-06? Buffalo likely wins coming off the momentum in G6 and easily beats the Oilers in the finals

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
So the Red Wings social media has been posting these pictures all season that are Q&A's with a player on the team asking their favorite foods/TV shows/vacation destinations/etc. Since the regular season ended, they've continued to post them, but usually with some of the spare parts that came up from Grand Rapids at the end of the season.

Yesterday they posted one for Jake Chelios, Chris's son who at 28 made his NHL debut this past season and dressed for the Red Wings last 5 regular season games.

For his "favorite Red Wing player of all time", he said Sean Avery.

Unsurprisingly, this seemed to draw a lot of comments on the picture.... Bewilderment from Red Wings fans that found it inconceivable that someone's favorite Red Wing would be someone other than Gordie Howe or Steve Yzerman, some who admitted they didn't even know Avery was a Red Wing, the usual and expected vitriolic reactions to Sean Avery, revisionism about his Red Wings tenure, and even a small handful who thought Jake was just being like his Dad and joking around. FWIW, the last one was pretty well debunked when Chris was interviewed during an intermission for Jake's NHL debut game. Red Wings play by play guy Ken Daniels asked about the younger Chelios' jersey number being #84 and tried to paint it as some feel good home homage to his Dad's NHL debut in 1984. However, Chris pointed out that Jake simply doubled a number worn by his favorite player which wasn't available (Martin Frk was wearing #42), IIRC, without mentioning the player. Daniels did the math in his head and correctly guessed that it wasn't Bernie Federko... it was Avery. He said "Sean Avery" in some half disgusted half surprised tone, which prompted Chris to chuckle and look at the camera and say "sorry Aves". Further backing it up was Jake wearing #42 for Michigan State.

Anyway, and back on topic, it got me wondering... How different might Sean Avery's career and reputation gone had he stayed in Detroit? Had he stuck around there until the lockout, his low salary at the time would've made him a regular coming into the cap era where he'd be reunited with the head coach he had with Cincinatti in the AHL, Mike Babcock. A coach who (at least from Avery's admission) he got along with. Does the veteran core there keep him in check as they seemed to do in his short tenure with the Red Wings, and he just ends up going down in history as some more outspoken Matthew Barnaby or Steve Ott type with a big mouth in the media like Jeremy Roenick? Or does still end up becoming the most controversial guy in the NHL somehow? At the very least, no trade to LA probably means no party at Paris Hiltons where he meets Elisha Cuthbert, which eventually leads to his most infamous and reputable moment in the NHL. On a more intriguing note, does putting Sean Avery on that ultra soft 2006 Red Wings team help them get past the Oilers? Maybe he puts the infamous "Avery rule" PP net presence in effect against Giguere and the Red Wings get past the Ducks in 2007?

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
I shudder to think at what happens other than my Senior Skip Day in high school being ruined, but what if Shayne Corson scores in Game 7 in of the 96 Western Conference Quarters to eliminate the Wings.....oh goodness.....does the whole damn thing blow up? Does Bowman resign? Is my favorite player Stevie Y dealt? Maybe he even retires? Does Sergei get put on the trading block.....I know they lose a tough one to the Avs the next round anyhow, but I think Yzerman's goal to sink the Blues kept the house of cards from collapsing....if Corson scores the upset is monumental, probably worse than the first round KO to the Sharks in 94....I'm nauseated even typing this!!

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What if the Sabres had just 1 more healthy D in G7 against the Canes in 05-06? Buffalo likely wins coming off the momentum in G6 and easily beats the Oilers in the finals

If they win that series, how many of those D would have been back for the Finals?

(And with all due respect to G7, blowing a 2-goal lead in G5 was more galling. If they win that game, Briere's OT goal in G6 closes out the series and maybe they can buy a few extra days of rest for their D)

CharlestownChiefsESC

Sep 17, 2008
Laurence Harbor NJ
What if in 2006 Jeremy Jacobs decides to wipe the interim tag off Jeff Gorton and keep him on as full GM of the Bruins. Do they never trade Seguin and do they win another cup or 2 this decade 10,13 and 14 come to mind as years where they could have won.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
What if in 2006 Jeremy Jacobs decides to wipe the interim tag off Jeff Gorton and keep him on as full GM of the Bruins. Do they never trade Seguin and do they win another cup or 2 this decade 10,13 and 14 come to mind as years where they could have won.

I'll go the other way, they dont even win the one in 2011

- Chara goes to LA as an FA instead of following Chiarelli to Boston

- The entire 2011 defense in Boston doesnt happen...Chia brought in Chara, Seidenberg, Boychuk, Ference, McQuaid, Kaberle

- Chia also added key forwards in Horton, Ryder, Kelly, Peverley, Seguin, Thornton, Campbell, Paille

- Chiarelli hired Julien. Who knows what coach Gorton hires

- Chiarelli traded Kessel for the 2 1sts, who says Gorton trades Kessel or for what...so no Seguin

Retire91

Stevey Y you our Guy
May 31, 2010
I think my biggest what if would be Lemiux's numbers if he didn't have health issues

My "for fun" what if, what if the red wings had drafted Bure anyway after being told he was ineligible

Reactions: brachyrynchos

SealsFan

May 3, 2009
What if Charlie Finley opened his checkbook and Gerry Pinder, Norm Ferguson, Bobby Sheehan, Wayne Carleton, Tom Webster, Paul Shmyr, Garry Jarrett, Tommy Williams, Don O'Donoghue, Ken Baird and Gary Kurt remain with the Seals instead of jumping to the WHA in 72-73????

whcanuck

May 11, 2017
For Canucks fans, what if Nathan LaFayette's shot goes inside the post? What if Dan Hamhuis doesn't get hurt with the hipcheck on Lucic?

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
Anyway, and back on topic, it got me wondering... How different might Sean Avery's career and reputation gone had he stayed in Detroit? Had he stuck around there until the lockout, his low salary at the time would've made him a regular coming into the cap era where he'd be reunited with the head coach he had with Cincinatti in the AHL, Mike Babcock. A coach who (at least from Avery's admission) he got along with. Does the veteran core there keep him in check as they seemed to do in his short tenure with the Red Wings, and he just ends up going down in history as some more outspoken Matthew Barnaby or Steve Ott type with a big mouth in the media like Jeremy Roenick? Or does still end up becoming the most controversial guy in the NHL somehow? At the very least, no trade to LA probably means no party at Paris Hiltons where he meets Elisha Cuthbert, which eventually leads to his most infamous and reputable moment in the NHL. On a more intriguing note, does putting Sean Avery on that ultra soft 2006 Red Wings team help them get past the Oilers? Maybe he puts the infamous "Avery rule" PP net presence in effect against Giguere and the Red Wings get past the Ducks in 2007?

That's an interesting one to me, particularly thinking of the 2007 Red Wings as 2007 was Avery's best season. If I had to guess, Detroit with Avery in tow doesn't sign Cleary in 2006. Cleary was good for Detroit in the 2007 playoffs so I'm not sure that Avery makes a big difference, though Detroit could have used someone like him. I also wonder what he would have been like once Lidstrom was the only member of the old guard left in 2007. I would guess that Avery would have ended up as a better, but less well known, player.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
What if Bertyzzi doesn't punch Steve Moore?

What if Danny Heatley passes away instead?

What if the oilers hit on all their top picks ?

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
What if the 2010 Capitals don't get Halak'd? How do the East playoffs shape out if we get WSH/PHI and PIT/BOS in round 2 instead of PHI/BOS and PIT/MON?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad