GDT: Hockey's back! (Sort of) - Prospects Challenge Weekend GDT

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
when your given 6 minutes, a game , its kinda tough
He averaged 9:46 per game last year and was VERY bad in his last call up. He only played 7:28 and 8:24 in his last two games played because he floated around like a broken game controller. He was herpes in that game where Eddie Lack faced 51 shots against Tampa. I was there.

Blake Pietila managed to look better than him during that call up. Kevin Rooney (who also sucks) managed to look a lot better than him when he was up.

Lappin also did jack during his last 20+ games in 16-17.

Lappin probably just isn't NHL caliber. He's already turning 26 years old on November 1st. It's rare that a player breaks in and becomes anything at that age. Blake Coleman is a rare example.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I've never really been impressed with Lappin. He's always struck me as one of those good AHL players that just can't cut it in the NHL. Still, he's not a bad guy to have around for organizational depth. I'll take him over the Sestitos and Sislos we used to have in those spots.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I've never really been impressed with Lappin. He's always struck me as one of those good AHL players that just can't cut it in the NHL. Still, he's not a bad guy to have around for organizational depth. I'll take him over the Sestitos and Sislos we used to have in those spots.
I'm pretty down on Lappin at the moment, but I was pretty down on Coleman at this time last year as well.

Like with Q, you hope he comes back motivated, and then hope that motivation can carry him to a successful season.

Reactions: AgentBrodeur

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The competition for the last roster spot or two up front is definitely going to be fun to watch. McLeod, JQ, Anderson, Lappin, Seney, etc. I think something good is going to happen there.

Reactions: Quest for Stanley

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
In the Alex Nylander prospect thread on the main board there was a bit of discussion about the prospect tourney. Interesting the Sabres fans saw BOS as the best team and PIT as much lower quality. I guess from a Sabres perspective that’s not wrong since they beat NJ but I guess no one saw NJ beat the BOS prospects pretty handily. Still plenty of criticism of that pick. To my eyes worse criticism than McLeod gets here.

Last edited:
Reactions: AgentBrodeur

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Based on what? How does he have the inside track over Anderson, JQ, or McLeod?
Not my opinion, but if he proved himself better at the moment, would be sufficient. I don't think Devils are looking to rush the young guys. If the young guys are ready, then great, if they are a little tepid, not willing to go push the tempo, then I think the team would rather they be in the AHL.

Reactions: Billdo

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I think McLeod is going to be in Binghamton to start the year unless he blows Hynes away in the preseason. If I had to choose one of Seney, JQ, or Anderson, I think Anderson gets the spot at this point. But there's plenty of time to decide.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think McLeod is going to be in Binghamton to start the year unless he blows Hynes away in the preseason. If I had to choose one of Seney, JQ, or Anderson, I think Anderson gets the spot at this point. But there's plenty of time to decide.

Ideally it would be JQ who shines and makes NJ.

They would let Joey, Seney and McLeod break into pro hockey and season themselves in Bingo

But, Seney has been very impressive and he may earn a NHL spot.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
Ideally it would be JQ who shines and makes NJ.

They would let Joey, Seney and McLeod break into pro hockey and season themselves in Bingo

But, Seney has been very impressive and he may earn a NHL spot.

I've said for the most part this off-season I think it'll be Joey to grab that final spot. But Seney was impressive in this little tournament. So was Speers for that matter, who could very well make the team too.

I kind of hope JQ can make it just because if he doesn't now, when will be? This year is big for him with regards to his NHL career and I hope he starts on the right foot and can crack the lineup. But if he doesn't earn it then so be it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
bing is going to be packed with young guys.

Even if Q AND Anderson(for arguments sake) make it.

That leaves Speers, Bastian Gignac, McLeod, Sharangovich, Stud's, Seney.

Don't know what that means in terms of win totals down there, but that's a lot of kids. Even more so if Lappin and Stafford are the 12th and 13th fwd's.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I've said for the most part this off-season I think it'll be Joey to grab that final spot. But Seney was impressive in this little tournament. So was Speers for that matter, who could very well make the team too.

I kind of hope JQ can make it just because if he doesn't now, when will be? This year is big for him with regards to his NHL career and I hope he starts on the right foot and can crack the lineup. But if he doesn't earn it then so be it.

Just reading the press about how Joey changed his work outs for his first pro year I think says a lot about where he is at. Hell just look at him and you can see he bulked up.

Outside of maybe JQ, I don’t think any of the other kids are as ready physically for the NHL then Joey right now.

Coaches also put him through a trial by fire this prospect tourney. Played both special teams, and in all situations from first line skill to bottom 6 grind it out roles.

RangerDoggo

The Devils have a culture of failure
Feb 3, 2016
Brooklyn via NJ, like the Nets
I highly doubt Sharangovich will make the big club, but if he keeps it up I could see him as a late-season fill-in or a regular by next season. I gotta think Boyle’s finished as a Devil next season and Zajac isn’t far behind.

Devils Dominion

Now we Plummet
Feb 16, 2007
NJ
I think some of you, need to pump the brakes on pencilling in some of our prospects to the NHL.

Most are not ready yet, give them some time to prepare themselves for the bigs

Missionhockey

Jul 6, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Eww no. Playing him at wing exposes his weaknesses and wastes all of his strengths.
And what are those exactly?

Playing on the wing maximizes on his strengths IMO because he can put a lot of pressure as the first forward in the zone on the forecheck. Plus his willingness to engage and win puck battles is exactly the type of game he would excel at. If he's played at center he'll need to learn to slow the play down and let the play develop and it's something he hasn't improved on a ton it seems from his draft year.

Reactions: GeNeXt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad