GDT: Hockey's back! (Sort of) - Prospects Challenge Weekend GDT

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Quenville looks like he came to play. He makes sense to keep due to his longevity and it sounds like the team told him to be in better shape and player with more aggression and so far he’s doing both.

I assume if he continues that to camp and the preseason that he will make the team, even if he doesn’t score much in the preseason games.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I would assume Quenneville. His AHL production has been both high and consistent.

He was a late cut last year, but he was also called out by the staff for not being in shape.

He seems to have taken that to heart and worked on it. He has the talent to be a NHL player so this is a big camp for him.

Joey Anderson sounds really determined to make the team. Lots of talk how he changed his off season Work to prepare for this pro season.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Of the players that played this weekend, which ones would you say have the best chance to play over 100 games at the NHL level? My bets would be on Anderson, McLeod, Smith, and Seney. Possibly Cam Johnson. Possibly Quenneville, time is ticking for him.

If JQ keeps putting the work in he should have a career. Not convinced it will happen here though.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
I've only watched the first period, but Sharangovich looks very good in this game today. He's standing out by just playing a simple, but effective game at center.

His entire line with Studenic and Anderson looks like they've played together for years.

Last edited:

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
He’s not on the prospect radar anymore but I could see Lappin opening up as the RW4. He’s a natural RW and given the surprising results last year with Coleman I could see them trying to give Lappin one last chance before moving on from him.
I dont see what the point of that would be. Lappin has had ample oppourtunities others have not had, others who show more promise as well. Would probably piss off a few guys if Lappin is given a spot simply because he has 'one last chance'.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I dont see what the point of that would be. Lappin has had ample oppourtunities others have not had, others who show more promise as well. Would probably piss off a few guys if Lappin is given a spot simply because he has 'one last chance'.
But Lappin is more seasoned,

I could see them going Lappin if it's a very tight race, but you are right, they won't give it to him because it's "a last chance", he's going to have to earn it.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I think one of the most interesting thing from this tournament was how well Sharangovich did. He really took his first games on NA ice in stride and did really well it seems.
Had a very good WJC last year too.

How much of that is playing against men in the KHL, being more prepared then these young guys?

And how much of it is him just being a good talent?

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
Had a very good WJC last year too.

How much of that is playing against men in the KHL, being more prepared then these young guys?

And how much of it is him just being a good talent?
Probably a mix of both. He had some buzz pre-draft, Friedman had a 10 draft thoughts thing that mentioned him.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
How would you describe his game?

Fast, almost elite speed. Usually does too much on his own but that should be able to get corralled. Excellent with the puck and keeping the puck. Scored at a 14% or so clip but didn't shoot all that much. He's just an interesting kid to me. Could be a really bottom 6 guy with average D and a bit of an offensive pizzazz.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Fast, almost elite speed. Usually does too much on his own but that should be able to get corralled. Excellent with the puck and keeping the puck. Scored at a 14% or so clip but didn't shoot all that much. He's just an interesting kid to me. Could be a really bottom 6 guy with average D and a bit of an offensive pizzazz.
Think I read earlier in this thread that his effort was noticeable, so combine that with his speed, and hopefully some skills, and it sounds like he fits the mold.

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
Think I read earlier in this thread that his effort was noticeable, so combine that with his speed, and hopefully some skills, and it sounds like he fits the mold.

He does, the effort is there, the speed is there, the puck skills seem to be there, just got to mature and see the game more.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey
Studenic reminds me a bit of Coleman.

Fast, tenacious, and a deceptive amount of skill. Playing styles are different, but they both have a knack for pressuring the puck and also being able to make plays in tight spaces when they do have the puck.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

I’m not suggesting he coasts in camp and is handed anything. What I am suggesting is that if he plays roughly as well as any of the other prospects I coukd see the tie breaker being his age and position.

Guys like McLieod and Anderson can benefit from playing big All situation AHL minutes. Lappin has already done that.

Also to some extent I see a Coleman possibility. It’s not like Tex showed anything two years ago before growing by leaps and bounds last season as an NHL player.

I’m just thinking if he shows up and plays hard there is a pretty obvious spot that would suit him at least to start the season. If he flops after 20 games there will be a younger player to call up and waive Lappin.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I’m not suggesting he coasts in camp and is handed anything. What I am suggesting is that if he plays roughly as well as any of the other prospects I coukd see the tie breaker being his age and position.

Guys like McLieod and Anderson can benefit from playing big All situation AHL minutes. Lappin has already done that.

Also to some extent I see a Coleman possibility. It’s not like Tex showed anything two years ago before growing by leaps and bounds last season as an NHL player.

I’m just thinking if he shows up and plays hard there is a pretty obvious spot that would suit him at least to start the season. If he flops after 20 games there will be a younger player to call up and waive Lappin.
I have Anderson pinned as that RW. The team wasted a year of his contract to practice with the team during the playoffs and has fit in onto any line at any level/competition, and while skipping the AHL for the NHL is a massive leap, if anyones going to make the roster and have the best chance of shining its him as per history.

I also would have Quenneville ahead of Lappin. Im very down on and have never liked McLeod.

Reactions: HockeysFinest

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I have Anderson pinned as that RW. The team wasted a year of his contract to practice with the team during the playoffs and has fit in onto any line at any level/competition, and while skipping the AHL for the NHL is a massive leap, if anyones going to make the roster and have the best chance of shining its him as per history.

I also would have Quenneville ahead of Lappin. Im very down on and have never liked McLeod.

Fully agree with every word of this post. I think Anderson and Quenneville both make the team. I am also down on McLeod, but I think he has a chance at making the team too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad