Hockeybuzz - Habs won't make the PO

Maffew

Born. Raised. Habs. Always.
May 14, 2010
Montréal, QC
A superstar player getting paid and then underperforming is always a valid concern. We've seen it time and time again in this league.

Subban is not one guy I'd be worried about with that. PK plays to win, to outshine, and to humiliate his opponents, and that all comes from the his in-game fire. Living comfortably isn't PK's driving force, competition is.

Joe Cole

Jun 17, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Well, they don't still have that D, they made two pick-ups in the off-season to bolster their D bringing in Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison. And I'm not sure what you mean by "that goaltender." Do you mean Ben Bishop, who was nominated for the Vezina?

As for Purcell taking away a scoring threat ... doesn't adding Joanthan Drouin add a scoring threat? Who do you think will have more points this season, Drouin or Purcell?

Yeah, I meant Ben Bishop. I am not convinced yet. But yes, he had a great partial season.

As for Drouin, the kid will be great, but you are rolling the dice that he will have a great first season, while you had a proven performer in Purcell.

Time will tell, but there are a lot of "maybe's" that people are chalking up as "sure bets", that is what I was saying.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Nothing wrong with pointing out possible downfalls -- what-if Price gets hurt/what-if Subban steps back/what-if the youngsters underperform. He's right, if these what-ifs happen, Montreal will take a step back.

My problem is basing a prediction on these what-ifs happening to Montreal and not their rivals. Ridiculous.

HabstuckinTO

Oct 3, 2005
Toronto
What did we expect?

Augello's the guy coming up with the main reasons why the Habs supposedly won't make the playoffs. He's a Leaf homer extraordinaire and clearly doesn't know much about the Habs, other than hating them as a Leaf fan. Totally predictable response and he's merely grasping at straws to justify what he hopes will happen. He should stick to talking about the Leafs. There are similar ass-clowns aplenty in this city. Better to ignore - they'll all have collective amnesia come playoff time.

:nod:

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It's becoming harder and harder for the haters to predict that the Habs will be out of the playoffs.

I'm so looking forward to us eventually becoming a serious contenders.

We still got ways to go before it happens, but if/when it does, it's just gonna be some fun to see all the experts predict that Montreal will be a playoff team, but no way they contend. :laugh:

Look Up

Don't be a scan tool
Oct 3, 2013
Here's the Lightning's broadcast crew season preview for the Canadiens.

Their preditctions:
1)formidable and an elite team
2)have questions going into season about leadership with Gionta's departure
3)will go as far as Price takes them

[NHL]629790[/NHL]

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Here's the Lightning's broadcast crew season preview for the Canadiens.

Their preditctions:
1)formidable and an elite team
2)have questions going into season about leadership with Gionta's departure
3)will go as far as Price takes them

[NHL]629790[/NHL]

This actually feel like a legitimate analysis of the team from an outsider perspective. Seems a whole lot more informed on the actual team's situation than what any of these clowns at hockeybuzz may say.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I really want the Lightning to fail.

Another silly mickey mouse franchise doling out crazy contracts and sullying the league.

Bishop is not better than Price.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
What was everybody opinion last year? Who had Kings to win it all? Where were we?

Personnally, I think it's totally possible we don't make it. Though it probably is the same for at least 15-20 teams.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
In 2013 I figured a lot would have to go right for us to make the playoffs and this year its the opposite. I think we're solidly a playoff team but things could obviously go sour and we could miss. Here are the main risk factors:

1. Therrien plays the same system as last year, leans on DD for the scoring and plays favourites with inferior players. That's what we saw last season and without great goaltending we probably miss the playoffs.

2. Price has an off/injured season. Last year I think we miss the playoffs without him standing on his head. If we play like we did last season (and I think we'll be a lot better) and he's not great, we'll miss.

3. Subban gets injured. He's a major part of our offense and his absence would leave a big hole.

We could probably overcome any single one of the above on its own. But in combination, it would be a long year.

Reality is though that our roster (esp on the backend) is better and I expect Price to have at least a good year. I think we're a postseason team.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I grew up there, I left in 2007.

Whenever I'm back in town I track down certain restaurants... mostly pastry shops and middle eastern restaurants. We all have our preferences :)

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
In 2013 I figured a lot would have to go right for us to make the playoffs and this year its the opposite. I think we're solidly a playoff team but things could obviously go sour and we could miss. Here are the main risk factors:

1. Therrien plays the same system as last year, leans on DD for the scoring and plays favourites with inferior players. That's what we saw last season and without great goaltending we probably miss the playoffs.

2. Price has an off/injured season. Last year I think we miss the playoffs without him standing on his head. If we play like we did last season (and I think we'll be a lot better) and he's not great, we'll miss.

3. Subban gets injured. He's a major part of our offense and his absence would leave a big hole.

We could probably overcome any single one of the above on its own. But in combination, it would be a long year.

Reality is though that our roster (esp on the backend) is better and I expect Price to have at least a good year. I think we're a postseason team.

1) He played a different system in the shortened season so I have faith on that front. I tend to believe he learned from last season.

2) That would be a disaster.

3) We still have Markov and a solid defensive squad. It would be unfortunate if Subban had a season ending injury though.

If Price has a good year we're a playoff team as you said. Even if 1 and 3 happens, I think.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Well, they don't still have that D, they made two pick-ups in the off-season to bolster their D bringing in Anton Stralman and Jason Garrison. And I'm not sure what you mean by "that goaltender." Do you mean Ben Bishop, who was nominated for the Vezina?

As for Purcell taking away a scoring threat ... doesn't adding Joanthan Drouin add a scoring threat? Who do you think will have more points this season, Drouin or Purcell?

Stralman and Garrison are hardly impact players. Just depth guys, they lost Salo who was decent.

I think where they may lose big is Bishop, probably a good goalie but I think he had his Craig Anderson moment and won't be as good.

Losing St.Louis will be big, their record was not as good after he was traded(even with Stamkos back). I think his loss will affect Stamkos also. Callahan is a good player but nowhere near the impact of MSL. TB also got a lot of mileage from little known rookies last year, anybody remember Conacher?

I think Drouin will be good but expecting him to replace MSL is a big reach.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I think any team with a vezina-caliber goalie, a Norris-caliber D-man and a 39 goal scorer has to be view as a playoff team by default.

That said, given the small difference in points there is between the forth and 9-10th spots, it is not entirely ridiculous to think Habs may have a hard time making it.

The problem I see is the arguments brought up by these clowns. Briere, really? Come on...

The only argument I heard in this video that makes some sense is the lost of Gerard Gallant. He was a respected veteran presence beside an ok head coach with shortcomings. What if MT loses the room during the long season?

The rest is just a matter of injuries and kids playing decent enough. As it's always the case. I'm not worry about veterans and young veterans like Markov, Subban, Pleks, MaxPac, DD... We know what they gonna give, and it's enough. It is all the others that matter.

nickd767

May 22, 2014
Ottawa
i actually realy enjoyed listening to the lighting analysis on the habs's season. I think they were pretty much bang on with everything they said, and i do think that gionta and gorges will be bigger losses than we think, however the younger guys stepping up and still having those older leaders will be able to fill that void (plec, moen, weaver - a guy who earned a ton of respect in the room last year)

can it just be October 6th now please?!?!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad