Hockeybuzz - Habs won't make the PO

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
What was everybody opinion last year? Who had Kings to win it all? Where were we?

Personnally, I think it's totally possible we don't make it. Though it probably is the same for at least 15-20 teams.

Sure it's possible, pretty much anything is, technically speaking.
But I'll be very disappointed if we don't make it. I see no reason why we would miss the POs unless something bad happens.

I don't see how we can miss them really..there would have to be a clusterf--k,

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
The habs on paper aren't as good as the team that finished the regular-season last year, but they are better than the team that began it.

Of course that could all change if Eller, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Gallagher take the next step in their development (assuming all else remains constant).

My biggest concerns:
1. Goalscoring. The team replaced Vanek, Gionta and Briere's offense with Parenteau...and maybe Sekac ( I personally have 0 expectations here, none of us know what he will bring. Anyone claiming otherwise is resting their hopes on blind faith).

Of course people will point out that on the aggregate, the addition of Parenteau plus internal improvement might get close to replacing those goals, however, we need to remember that the Canadiens were in the bottom 3rd for goals. They shouldn't be looking simply to replace last year's offense, because it wasn't good for the most part. They need to improve.

Losing Vanek hurts a lot, he really helped the Canadiens pick up the pace offensively in the final stretch, even if he himself didn't put a lot of goals.

As Lshap pointed out months ago, perhaps the more mobile D core with the addition of Gilbert and a more permanent spot for Beaulieu will help increase the offensive numbers of the team as a whole (since they will help in puck possession and transition). It may very well be. That being said, I'm not comfortable resting the offensive improvement simply on the acquisition of a more mobile defense. It may help, but I don't see it helping enough to get the Canadiens in the top 3rd in goal scoring.

2. We didn't replace Gionta's two-way game. In the top 9, the Canadiens are severley lacking a strong two-way winger who can help form a duo with Plekanec to shutdown teams when needed, or help the defensive game of another line that is not Plekanec's. I think Gionta's role in Eller's re-emergence in the playoffs was severely underrated and overlooked. He helped Eller's line drive possession the other way and helped reduced the defense load placed on Eller. This allowed Lars to refocus his game. Contrary to what people think, I believe Eller's defensive game still needs quite a bit of work...this is coming fom an Eller fan.

Again, all my concerns could go right out the window if Eller, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk and Gallagher take another step forward in their development. I am confident that Markov, Price, Pacioretty and Subban will continue being solid and reliable regarding their roles.

My wild cardsfor the season:
1. Rene Bourque. If he can get back to a 20 goal and 50 point pace, it would change the top 9 immensely.
2. Emelin. Was way too inconsistent last year. He had stretches where he looked incredible and others where he looked like the team's worse D-man. The habs need him to solidify his game to round-out the top 4 on D.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
A clueless Ekland from Hockeybuzz claims the Habs won't make the playoffs ... and butt hurt Habs posters call him a mindless idiot.

A clueless group of broadcasters from Tampa Bay claims the Habs are elite ... and Habs posters accept them as knowledgeable experts.

Never mind that both groups are clueless and should be disregarded, it seems that hearing what one wants to hear is what determines the credibility of a hockey reporter.

Last edited:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Sure it's possible, pretty much anything is, technically speaking.
But I'll be very disappointed if we don't make it. I see no reason why we would miss the POs unless something bad happens.

I don't see how we can miss them really..there would have to be a clusterf--k,

True. But you know my take on the team. Still believe we're low on game changing players and scorers. We still have the same situation on C. People underestimate or overestimate the D. That D could be all over the place. From having 2 rookies with their mistakes, to maybe an aging Markov that shows his age....to maybe an Emelin that isn't fixed despite playing the right side. And for Price well.....what kind of shape will he be able to be in. And we have the coach we have. So still have my doubts on the team.

But we should be able to make it based on the fact that most teams in the East didn't seem to improve THAT much. But we obviously underestimate some teams as we always do. And maybe overestimate others. Yet...don't think that in the East, the teams that we think might be better than us are being ovestimated.

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
A clueless Ekland from Hockeybuzz claims the Habs won't make the playoffs ... and butt hurt Habs posters call him a mindless idiot.

A clueless group of broadcasters from Tampa Bay claims the Habs are elite ... and Habs posters accept them as knowledgeable experts.

Never mind that both groups are clueless and should be disregarded, it seems that hearing what one wants to hear is what determines the credibility of a hockey reporter.

Over simplification IMO. Habs made final 4, losing gionta, gorges and briere and white do change things but acquire Paranteau, Sekac, Malhotra and Gilbert. So we filled in the gap. Emelin will play proper side now too! PAP is better than briere, Malhotra is better than white for faceoffs alone. Gionta beats Sekac and Gorges beats Gilbert. In the end, it's half half without counting Emelin getting his proper side. Add young player progression and all that...you'd figure at least a playoff spot...

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
I grew up there, I left in 2007.

Whenever I'm back in town I track down certain restaurants... mostly pastry shops and middle eastern restaurants. We all have our preferences :)

Lafleur's defines the steamy and fries. Has done for most of my life. I'm a long way away but if I'm in town first thing I do is drive there with my brother in law and eat 3 dogs and fries in the car.

Yeah dinner at the Mandarin hotel in Hong Kong is nice, but Lafleur's is better. :)

And a secret: My user name is short for the best bar in Montreal while I was at McGill in the eighties. Watched the last cup there on tv in 93

Last edited:

bsl

Oct 9, 2009
The habs on paper aren't as good as the team that finished the regular-season last year, but they are better than the team that began it.

Of course that could all change if Eller, Galchenyuk, Beaulieu and Gallagher take the next step in their development (assuming all else remains constant).

My biggest concerns:
1. Goalscoring. The team replaced Vanek, Gionta and Briere's offense with Parenteau...and maybe Sekac ( I personally have 0 expectations here, none of us know what he will bring. Anyone claiming otherwise is resting their hopes on blind faith).

Of course people will point out that on the aggregate, the addition of Parenteau plus internal improvement might get close to replacing those goals, however, we need to remember that the Canadiens were in the bottom 3rd for goals. They shouldn't be looking simply to replace last year's offense, because it wasn't good for the most part. They need to improve.

Losing Vanek hurts a lot, he really helped the Canadiens pick up the pace offensively in the final stretch, even if he himself didn't put a lot of goals.

As Lshap pointed out months ago, perhaps the more mobile D core with the addition of Gilbert and a more permanent spot for Beaulieu will help increase the offensive numbers of the team as a whole (since they will help in puck possession and transition). It may very well be. That being said, I'm not comfortable resting the offensive improvement simply on the acquisition of a more mobile defense. It may help, but I don't see it helping enough to get the Canadiens in the top 3rd in goal scoring.

2. We didn't replace Gionta's two-way game. In the top 9, the Canadiens are severley lacking a strong two-way winger who can help form a duo with Plekanec to shutdown teams when needed, or help the defensive game of another line that is not Plekanec's. I think Gionta's role in Eller's re-emergence in the playoffs was severely underrated and overlooked. He helped Eller's line drive possession the other way and helped reduced the defense load placed on Eller. This allowed Lars to refocus his game. Contrary to what people think, I believe Eller's defensive game still needs quite a bit of work...this is coming fom an Eller fan.

Again, all my concerns could go right out the window if Eller, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk and Gallagher take another step forward in their development. I am confident that Markov, Price, Pacioretty and Subban will continue being solid and reliable regarding their roles.

My wild cardsfor the season:
1. Rene Bourque. If he can get back to a 20 goal and 50 point pace, it would change the top 9 immensely.
2. Emelin. Was way too inconsistent last year. He had stretches where he looked incredible and others where he looked like the team's worse D-man. The habs need him to solidify his game to round-out the top 4 on D.

Good post.

I looked at conservative goals scoring numbers per player and think the team can score 220. This was including discounting for short term injuries. If Price is healthy and plays well, 205 goals against looks about right. Say 210 with the loss of Gio and rookies on D.

That's a plus 10-15 goal differential, good for 3rd in div I think.

What will kill Habs is long term injuries to Subby, Price or Max. (Jinx killed touched wood table.)

But long term injuries to key players kill every team. Except Pens.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
Lafleur's defines the steamy and fries. Has done for most of my life. I'm a long way away but if I'm in town first thing I do is drive there with my brother in law and eat 3 dogs and fries in the car.

Yeah dinner at the Mandarin hotel in Hong Kong is nice, but Lafleur's is better. :)

And a secret: My user name is short for the best bar in Montreal while I was at McGill in the eighties. Watched the last cup there on tv in 93

This thread discusses concerns about whether the Habs will make the playoffs, or haven't you noticed? I can assure you that your post has discouraged us from eating dog meat at the Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong and we're grateful for your recommendation that we order this exotic delicacy at Lafleur's instead. It would have been a tragedy to miss your wise counsel. Do you have other pearls of wisdom to impart to partisans of le Canadien?

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine

:heart:

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
This thread discusses concerns about whether the Habs will make the playoffs, or haven't you noticed? I can assure you that your post has discouraged us from eating dog meat at the Mandarin Hotel in Hong Kong and we're grateful for your recommendation that we order this exotic delicacy at Lafleur's instead. It would have been a tragedy to miss your wise counsel. Do you have other pearls of wisdom to impart to partisans of le Canadien?

Considering the volume and content of off-topic posts on this board, why would a harmless, personal anecdote be worthy of such sarcasm?

Turn off the grouchiness or I'll start calling you "Dude".

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Tampa in my estimation is the best team coming into the season especially with Drouin feeding pucks to Stamkos. Boston will be tough, Philly and NYR as well. Pitt is clearly overrated. Habs will make the playoffs

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Considering the volume and content of off-topic posts on this board, why would a harmless, personal anecdote be worthy of such sarcasm?

Turn off the grouchiness or I'll start calling you "Dude".

Pretty sure he was being tongue in cheek, bro.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
Pretty sure whiskey + seven was in the before picture, somewhere.
Many of my best posts have been from when I was under the influence. Or, as I am right now, half-alive immediately succeeding the influence.

On-topic:

The only clear-cut best team is Boston and that is only if Chara hasn't lost yet another freakishly giant step. After that are NYR and MTL who are similar, scoring-by-committee teams. Then, TBL (overrated) and everyone else.

It's going to be hard but the Habs have a leg up on the competition, we have talented players and a good defense and tons of experience. And we're no longer smurfs. It's a good time to be a Habs fan.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Many of my best posts have been from when I was under the influence. Or, as I am right now, half-alive immediately succeeding the influence.

On-topic:

The only clear-cut best team is Boston and that is only if Chara hasn't lost yet another freakishly giant step. After that are NYR and MTL who are similar, scoring-by-committee teams. Then, TBL (overrated) and everyone else.

It's going to be hard but the Habs have a leg up on the competition, we have talented players and a good defense and tons of experience. And we're no longer smurfs. It's a good time to be a Habs fan.

What's amazing is that 20 months ago Habs were considered a lottery team.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

On-topic:

I was referring to the other poster and not you even though I wasn't being that clear.

What's amazing is that 20 months ago Habs were considered a lottery team.
We were better then that then and we're probably not as good now as a lot of posters are thinking we are. There's a lot more parity in the league now and if we struggle to find wins, it could be a long season.

I think we're better then TB, Toronto and Detroit but things still have to go our way. Those teams struggled last year, we'll see how they fare this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad