Post-Game Talk: hockey

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
Considering that D and Z are asking for big players or players that can retrieve pucks like Glendenning, and Abd shows that we as a team lack enough skilled players that can do that well. Getting Cole is a step in the right direction too bad hes 36.

If only Gus was a bit bigger and stronger and could win more battles for the puck.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I swear...

The same people here that are complaining that Babcock isn't asserting himself are the same ones that were talking about Datsyuk feeling like he should leave if Babcock chooses to play Abdelkader on his line.

There has got to be some overlap between the people that said:
"Datsyuk will probably want to retire if Babcock doesn't give him the linemates he wants"
and the people that are now saying:
"Babcock should totally ignore what Datsyuk wants and do what he feels like."

Some people just need to complain, I guess.

Exactly this. What makes it ridiculous is the fact that Glendening has filled in admirably in helm's absence. The Datsyuk line has continued to play good hockey !

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Sheahan has played a few shifts with Datsyuk while Glendening catches his breath after the PK. It wasn't instantly magical.

Actually I remember it being quite an improvement. Of course it only happens 2-3 times a game.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Considering that D and Z are asking for big players or players that can retrieve pucks like Glendenning, and Abd shows that we as a team lack enough skilled players that can do that well. Getting Cole is a step in the right direction too bad hes 36.

If only Gus was a bit bigger and stronger and could win more battles for the puck.

If Gus ever wants to to take the next step, this is exactly what he needs to do. This is what is holding him back from being a 70 pt winger. If he could gain anywhere from 10-20 pounds of muscle, he'd be golden.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Did you read the article? There are quotes in there that make it crystal clear who Pav and Z want to play with.

Or do you believe Babcock is a liar?

We all read the article but please, most also know it isn't so black and white. I'd rather hear who in the entire NHL Pavel would like to play with than his choice of Weiss, Andersson, or Glendening. It's a bit of PR crap, sorry. Also as much as I enjoy the G he is no Darren Helm. In 08-09 Helm had 37 points in 55 games for the Griffins, he's an old vet by now. People say they play he same type of game but Helm is so much more experienced, capable. He has earned a place by Dats IMO that few can. Glendening's growth is encouraging but you can't deny there is a possibility of annoyance/sadness looking at our top line combination. Glendening does not fit on that line. There may be no better alternative but sugar-coating the reality or demanding Datsyuk desired it does not make it feel any more right.

I personally think the TDL additions have pretty much nothing to do with the team's play as of late. If anything, Cole and Zid have been two positives, with the rest of the team playing worse than they have for most of the season. I don't love the Smith-Zid pairing, but Kronwall-E have been awful, and Dekeyser has not been his usual self either. And up front, Abby-Z-Cole have probably been our steadiest line the last while...

The acquisitions must be a factor. Dude I like Zids and Cole and agree they are a positive but how much? Holland stated he wanted to "help the boys out", I'm not sure who's helping who, as far as the Wings catching our new VERY veteran players up to speed (if that's possible at their age :laugh:). We need guys who can give Z and D legs, Cole and Zidlicky sadly are over the hill so they have to do it in more intelligent ways. I do honestly like them I know it takes a few to gel. The Wings have been slumping yet we can remain positive while honest about some of the doubts watching this team.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
No one is saying Glendening should be a permanent fixture up there. But with Helm out, Datsyuk apparently said, "Give me Luke" and Babcock said, "Sure, why the hell not".

Why does it have to be a bigger issue than that?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Yet people would complain when they're out there at the end of a game up by a goal :laugh:

Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still our best shutdown forwards. I understand throwing either Glendening or Miller out there with them for the game closing moment, but I am not a big fan of Miller - Andersson - Glendening to close the game, for one they generally don't ever hold the puck to actually attempt something on the empty net they chip it out and let the other team reload as they are not adept at holding onto the puck in that situation.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Datsyuk and Zetterberg are still our best shutdown forwards. I understand throwing either Glendening or Miller out there with them for the game closing moment, but I am not a big fan of Miller - Andersson - Glendening to close the game, for one they generally don't ever hold the puck to actually attempt something on the empty net they chip it out and let the other team reload as they are not adept at holding onto the puck in that situation.

I'm not a big fan of Miller-Andersson-Glendening at any point in the game, really, but at least it was a functional fourth line that we could put on the ice for ten minutes a night. What we have now is just a bizarre collection of parts that don't really fit together.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
I'm not a big fan of Miller-Andersson-Glendening at any point in the game, really, but at least it was a functional fourth line that we could put on the ice for ten minutes a night. What we have now is just a bizarre collection of parts that don't really fit together.

Yeah, they had their niche in October, but boy are they not that great now. But fortunately we have first line puck possession hound Luke Glendening to play with Pavs. :^)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad