HOCKEY REF"S PLEAD TO NHLPA...ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
deathbear said:
yeah no kidding.

i'd love to run into an nhler on the street absolutely blast him from head to toe. especially a cockass like mccabe, pronger or EATON. WHO THE HELL ARE YOU?!?!?!
And then have your ass handed to you???

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Muleskinner said:
You know, maybe...just maybe the NHLOA isnt thinking about their bargaining strength at this point. Could it be that the state of the league is why they are speaking out at this time???

Just a thought.

Yup. It is absolutely in the refs best interest to get this resolved this year (whether owners cave, or players), and they realize that it's the players that will have to move.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Muleskinner said:
You know, maybe...just maybe the NHLOA isnt thinking about their bargaining strength at this point. Could it be that the state of the league is why they are speaking out at this time???

Just a thought.
Why should the NHLOA be concerned about the state of the league? That's ridiculous!

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
The NHLOA is hardly in a position of bargaining strength given the circumstances. Walkom is doing his membership a disservice by speaking out at this time.

If common sense is a disservice, then I guess there's no hope for mankind. Start the nukes already before it goes too far... :shakehead

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Well, they should be. Isn't that supposed to be Walkom's job?

Perhaps having a job is his concern right now. At the rate this thing is going, he and the people he represents could be out of work for another year. If his remarks help push the two sides closer to an agreement, then he's done his constituents a great service.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Well, they should be. Isn't that supposed to be Walkom's job?

The Refs are not going to negociate anything until it's settled with the players imo. At best, they'll just get an extension from the owners.

Tell me, how does this affect their bargaining strenght at all? To my opinion, the worst the industry, the worse their bargaining strenght. If they can get the NHLPA to come back to earth and make a deal that will be good for the industry, it will be positive for the NHLOA.

deathbear

Jul 8, 2003
Manitoba
Visit site
Clint said:
And then have your ass handed to you???

i'd lay charges on him and be a pain in his ass for as long as possible.

regardless if i were successful or not, i'd do what i could to make his life miserable.

short of him killing me, it'd be worth it.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Smail said:
The Refs are not going to negociate anything until it's settled with the players imo. At best, they'll just get an extension from the owners.

Why shouldn't the NHL play hardball with the officials?

Smail said:
Tell me, how does this affect their bargaining strength at all?

Playing pushovers plays right into a guy like Bob Batterman's hands.

Two referee system? It can easily be rescinded. Pay and benefits? Easily cut.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Why shouldn't the NHL play hardball with the officials?

Playing pushovers plays right into a guy like Bob Batterman's hands.

Two referee system? It can easily be rescinded. Pay and benefits? Easily cut.

And what will these comments change anything to it? Isn't it easier for the NHL to cut pay and benefits/two referee system if the revenues are lower? Aren't the revenues going to be lower as the lockout keeps going on?

The lower the NHL revenues, the lower the bargaining strenght for the refs. The more the players keep their current attitude, the more they destroy the industry, the more the revenues fall.

If you don't see the link, and how his comments can't absolutely do no wrong to the refs, you're a lost cause... :shakehead

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Gag order lifted, GMs trying to get players to pressure Goodenow, the Refs speak out to push the NHLPA into giving in............NHL strategy to put more pressure on the NHLPA? I think so

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Smail said:
And what will these comments change anything to it? Isn't it easier for the NHL to cut pay and benefits/two referee system if the revenues are lower? Aren't the revenues going to be lower as the lockout keeps going on?

The lower the NHL revenues, the lower the bargaining strenght for the refs. The more the players keep their current attitude, the more they destroy the industry, the more the revenues fall.

If you don't see the link, and how his comments can't absolutely do no wrong to the refs, you're a lost cause... :shakehead

Walkom should be exploiting the current labor situation instead to extract some modest gains for his membership. By counselling the NHLPA to accept whatever the NHL offers them, he's setting up his own organization to concede their own hard-earned gains.

Again, why should the NHL play nice with the NHLOA come June?

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:
Walkom should be exploiting the current labor situation instead to extract some modest gains for his membership. By counselling the NHLPA to accept whatever the NHL offers them, he's setting up his own organization to concede their own hard-earned gains.

Again, why should the NHL play nice with the NHLOA come June?

Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees.
Let's go over this slowly ...

No CBA with the NHLPA equals no games.
No games equals no need for officials.
No need for officials equals no income for officials.

You;re suggesting the officials be more concerned with next year's negotiations than with the fact there is no hockey and they're earning nothing. That's ludicrous. My guess is the officials would much rather be playing now and take their chances later.

And, for what it's worth, if the owners lose big to the NHLPA, they'e much more likely to seek cuts from the officials than if they get their cost certainty.

Bicycle Repairman

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:

Everybody in the industry was braced for a long labour disruption years in advance. This includes the officials.

CarlRacki said:

And we've seen concrete NHL games without NHLOA members. Or maybe you're too young to remember the Schoenfeld Incident.

CarlRacki said:

Which is why it's the most opportune time for the NHLOA to ride sidecar with the NHLPA.

CarlRacki said:
You;re suggesting the officials be more concerned with next year's negotiations than with the fact there is no hockey and they're earning nothing. That's ludicrous. My guess is the officials would much rather be playing now and take their chances later.

They will never have a better opportunity to make gains for their membership than now. They should be showing Solidarity with the NHLPA.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
Bicycle Repairman said:
Everybody in the industry was braced for a long labour disruption years in advance. This includes the officials.

And we've seen concrete NHL games without NHLOA members. Or maybe you're too young to remember the Schoenfeld Incident.

Which is why it's the most opportune time for the NHLOA to ride sidecar with the NHLPA.

They will never have a better opportunity to make gains for their membership than now. They should be showing Solidarity with the NHLPA.
Maybe with the NHLOA in the NHLPA's corner they could make the NHL just shut down for good.

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
CarlRacki said:
Talk about not seeing the forest through the trees.
Let's go over this slowly ...

And, for what it's worth, if the owners lose big to the NHLPA, they'e much more likely to seek cuts from the officials than if they get their cost certainty.
Good post.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
Bicycle Repairman said:

You mean the way the NHLPA showed solidarity with the officials in 1993 and crossed their picket lines?
The players threw the officials under the bus, but now they deserve the officials' support? Sure. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad